Who "won" the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
LA kings--getting Tukonen at #11 = robbery!

THEN--by far the most brilliant pick of the entire draft on Day 2: TAKATA FUKIFUJI the Japanese goaltending sensation! Sheer genius and ballsy too!

The only thing that could have topped this was if some team had taken Turkish 6'4 177 LW SERKAN YAPICILAR--but alas no team did.....oh well there is the 2005 draft...

My Blackhawks did draft "ATTILLA THE HUN"" --oops I mean 6'7 200 RW MARKKO ANTILLA ( a Finn) ---they probably checked his family and figure the kid will grow to 6'9 325 when he "fills out" --perfect to clear some room for Ruutu to score more goals!

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
first, lol @ Antilla the Hun

Overall, Washington won. But we knew the won the second they won the lottery. In terms of selections, The Blackhawks and the Blues came out on top this year

And HF50, no one took the turk, but Los Angeles took a Serb

Old Hickory

Even better than a Serb, The Kings also took a goalie from Japan

Last edited by a moderator:

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
windowlicker said:
LA getting Tukonen @11 (Highway robbery)
St. Louis getting Schwarz @17 (Bank robbery)
Colorado getting Wolski @21 (Train robbery)
Edmonton getting Schremp @25(Bank robbery)

Is it better to rob a bank, a train or a highway? :)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
hawksfan50 said:
LA kings--getting Tukonen at #11 = robbery!

THEN--by far the most brilliant pick of the entire draft on Day 2: TAKATA FUKIFUJI the Japanese goaltending sensation! Sheer genius and ballsy too!

The only thing that could have topped this was if some team had taken Turkish 6'4 177 LW SERKAN YAPICILAR--but alas no team did.....oh well there is the 2005 draft...

My Blackhawks did draft "ATTILLA THE HUN"" --oops I mean 6'7 200 RW MARKKO ANTILLA ( a Finn) ---they probably checked his family and figure the kid will grow to 6'9 325 when he "fills out" --perfect to clear some room for Ruutu to score more goals!

IMO, Washington, Chicago, St. Louis, LA.

Caps-

A. Ovechkin
M. Green
O. Hedman
S. Lepisto
J. Shultz
P. Salonen
C. Bourque
M. Yunkov
P. Guggisberg

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
-Washington: Duh. In addition to picking their prospective franchise player Ovechkin, the Capitals also loaded up on the backend with five good defense prospects. Minus points for taking Chris Bourque so high when he's got little to offer other than photo ops with Ray.

-Chicago: Had lots of picks and used all of them well. Every player they obtained as a good pick for their position, in particular Bolland and Sindel. Cam Barker was the smart choice at number three, especially given what transpired in the next few picks after theirs.

-Pittsburgh: Grabbed the other franchise player available in the draft, and got a solid second round pick in Salmonsson. Their later picks had a few interesting prospects including Dave Brown (Kyle Woodlief's personal stroke material).

-St. Louis: No one got more bang for their buck in this draft, as they turned average draft picks into high quality prospects. Schwarz may have been the steal of the draft in the first round, while Alexandrov was probably the steal of the third.

-Ottawa: The rich get richer as the Senators managed to pick one of the top defensemen in the draft in the first round and his potential future defense partner in the second round. If Schwarz wasn't the steal of round one, then it may have been Meszaros.

-Atlanta: Addressed a big organizational need by getting massive blueliner Boris Valabik to clear the crease for Kari Lehtonen and potential offensive defenseman Grant Lewis to provide some backend offense. Add in potential scoring wingers Painchaud and Gracik and you have a very well-rounded draft.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I also think that NJ was a winner by moving up and taking Zajac.

And on that note, I think Calgary was a loser by trading that pick and selecting Chucko. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is an excellenct prospect, but I really think that Calgary made a mistake here. Besides Iginla, the flames have NOBODY in their system who really has top line scoring potential.

Obviously, I am not a professional scout (as few or none of us here are), so I'm happy to wait and see how things develop. But I am really scratching my head on this one. Darryl Sutter told TSN that they had 3 kids that they really liked (for where they would be picking), and Chucko was the one who was still available. I find it hard to believe that Zajac was not one of the 3, especially considering their affinity for Western Canadian kids.

I just don't know why they would trade down, unless they genuinely thought that Chucko was the best asset available at #19 and would still be there at 24. And I find it hard to believe that Chucko was the best asset availabe, when guys like Zajac or Meszaros were still on the board. Calgary could not only use a potential top line forward, but they REALLY need a high quality centre in their organization. And while they don't necessarily need help on defense, a top-3 defenseman (ie Meszaros) is much more valuable than a high quality character forward (ie Chucko).

Hey, hopefully, for Calgary' sake, I'm just ignorant and Chucko ends up being the best player. But if not, I really think this was a big mistake.

zoidberg

Aug 23, 2002
hockeyrumors.blogspot.com
I'm not saying I like the pick, yet, but Calgary had Chucko rated higher than Zajac and didn't feel the need to draft a defenseman (as most of the prospects in the system are defensemen).

But yeah, I wish we took Schremp.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1.Washinton , read posts above for more info ^^
2.Columbus , getting Picard , Pineault , Wharton , Lacosta , Pohl and a russian token in top 150 .
3.St.Louis exellent top 3 in Schwartz , Soderberg and Alexandrov

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If you read today's Boston Globe, it appears that the Bruins were making a concerted effort to move up and grab Chris Bourque at some point in the second round. Since the Caps found out and had a plethora of picks to soften the blow if he did not pan out, they opted to take him at #33... arguably early, I won't deny that, but they have enough prospects in the event that he does not pan out.

They may sign Ovechkin, Schultz, Green, Lepisto, Hedman and Bourque out of this draft class, fully six players... and that's just about unheard of these days.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like the Blackhawks in '04. They got the killer B's (Barker, Bolland, Berti and Bickell). In those guys they get a lot of size, scoring, and two-way potential. It's also nice to see them lay off the Russians for once.

Garlock and Sindel were also fine picks in the 2nd Round.

By picking Eric Hunter, Jared Walker and Barker, they picked 3 Winnipeggers!! On top of that the Hawks have Duncan Keith, Burke Henry and Tyler Arnason (who believe me, is a Pegger) from Manitoba. I like the Manitoban flavour.

I've got my eye on the Chicagopeg Blackhawks. :yo:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
windowlicker said:
LA getting Tukonen @11 (Highway robbery)
St. Louis getting Schwarz @17 (Bank robbery)
Colorado getting Wolski @21 (Train robbery)
Edmonton getting Schremp @25(Bank robbery)

If Schremp somehow doesnt end up being the steal of this draft then either the swede the pens took at 31 or Mike Green for the caps late first round are the steals of it to me.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I don't know who won the draft, but Ottawa is the one team in the NHL that consistently drafts guys who have reached them through a miracle of epic proportions. EVERY organization says they take the bpa, but they're dirty liars. The Senators take the bpa.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
A. Ovechkin
M. Green
O. Hedman
S. Lepisto
J. Shultz
P. Salonen
C. Bourque
M. Yunkov
P. Guggisberg

Okay, Chris Bourque was a bonehead move to me, but getting Hedman and Lepisto beyond the 2nd round was great drafting to me.

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
Epsilon said:
-Washington: Duh. In addition to picking their prospective franchise player Ovechkin, the Capitals also loaded up on the backend with five good defense prospects. Minus points for taking Chris Bourque so high when he's got little to offer other than photo ops with Ray.

-Chicago: Had lots of picks and used all of them well. Every player they obtained as a good pick for their position, in particular Bolland and Sindel. Cam Barker was the smart choice at number three, especially given what transpired in the next few picks after theirs.

-Pittsburgh: Grabbed the other franchise player available in the draft, and got a solid second round pick in Salmonsson. Their later picks had a few interesting prospects including Dave Brown (Kyle Woodlief's personal stroke material).

-St. Louis: No one got more bang for their buck in this draft, as they turned average draft picks into high quality prospects. Schwarz may have been the steal of the draft in the first round, while Alexandrov was probably the steal of the third.

-Ottawa: The rich get richer as the Senators managed to pick one of the top defensemen in the draft in the first round and his potential future defense partner in the second round. If Schwarz wasn't the steal of round one, then it may have been Meszaros.

-Atlanta: Addressed a big organizational need by getting massive blueliner Boris Valabik to clear the crease for Kari Lehtonen and potential offensive defenseman Grant Lewis to provide some backend offense. Add in potential scoring wingers Painchaud and Gracik and you have a very well-rounded draft.

Great post ... I thought so too. Chicago and Washington now have some great depth, I wonder how they will ruin them? Atlantic looks very strong and could be a very good team contending for the cup in a few years. The Sens after their first two picks did some unexpected things considering there were quite a few good players available. A goalie? Regin? Mclivane? Wick? Wikner? Don't know much about these guys but there were guys on the board that could have been picked instead like O'Neil, Lepisto, who some boards had rated much higher. Oh well, maybe the first two make up for it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
rebedom said:
Great post ... I thought so too. Chicago and Washington now have some great depth, I wonder how they will ruin them? Atlantic looks very strong and could be a very good team contending for the cup in a few years. The Sens after their first two picks did some unexpected things considering there were quite a few good players available. A goalie? Regin? Mclivane? Wick? Wikner? Don't know much about these guys but there were guys on the board that could have been picked instead like O'Neil, Lepisto, who some boards had rated much higher. Oh well, maybe the first two make up for it.

Regin sounds like an interesting prospect that few have seen much of. Wick was ranked #51 by THN and could be a good value pick for where he was chosen.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Lowe thinks the oilers have drafted the best goalie. Yeah, goaltenders are a crap-shoot but the oilers have a good scouting staff and they think they got the best one. This, combined with Schremp at 25 means they did as good as anyone not naed the Capitals.

It would not have been a huge surprise if schremp went in the 4-7 slot. A GM could easily have made a case for that. It would have raised fewer eyebrows than wheeler at the 5th spot.

thestonedkoala

Thelen, Voloshenko, Sprunger, Boogaard, Stoner! ROCK ON! :D

though now we are weak on depth...Can you people stop saying we need defensemen?

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
winners:

1. washington -- no question here
2. chicago -- needed forwards; got forwards and the best dman
3. st louis -- not only gets a 1st round steal, but a 3rd round steal as well
4. la -- tukonen at #11 was just incredible
5. pittsburgh -- well rounded draft

Lanny MacDonald*

Who won the draft? Check back here in five years and we'll have the answer to that question. At this point attempting to call a winner is a completely futile exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->