Who "Won" E3?

Who won?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I'm really curious to gauge everyone's opinions on this year's show. From Ubi's great showing to Sony's new formula and MS's breadth of content I think this has been one of the best E3's of the last couple years. Since we can't do a ranking poll, feel free to list your best-to-worst while you're at it. Mine:

1A. Sony
1B. Microsoft
2A. Ubisoft
2B. Nintendo
3. Bethesda
4. Square Enix
5. EA

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
In my opinion it was Sony (even though I said it was slightly disappointing) if we just base it off the games.

Spider-Man looks like a must buy for me and GoT, Resident evil 2 were above average.

Microsoft for me only had Cyberpunk and Battletoads. And nobody knows what exactly Battletoads will be.

Beth gets third for Starfield and ES6. If we knew anything about them they would be higher. Didn’t care for the other conferences at all.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only Sony and Microsoft are concerned about competing directly. Switch is its own thing and always will be. Ubisoft and Bethesda make games for all 3 consoles.

Sony still has a massive lead in terms of internal studios and products. It showed in their presentation. Microsoft buying a bunch of smaller studios isn't going to help them catch up overnight or even by the launch of the next consoles around 2020.

So Sony "won" but their presentation was structured dumb and didn't contain a huge dump of info like most people prefer. Microsoft had the smoother presentation but had very little to show, especially if you aren't a Forza fan. They did nothing to motivate people to buy a 1X.

Cyberpunk is basically the game of the show for me and it will be on all 3 major platforms.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Yeah it was a pretty awful year. I was belly laughing at THREE Souls-like games set in Japan.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Sony was extremely disappointing. No release dates (not even a year, like come on) and barely any games. But, I will say I loved all of the games they did show and absolutely loved their extended gameplay of them. Last of Us 2 looks incredible. Really frustrating that they didn't show Days Gone in their main presentation. Will be getting basically every game they showed anyways though. Spider-Man looks awesome

Microsoft's presentation was the best, but the only exclusive I'm really looking forward to is Halo (I'm not a gears of war fan), and I haven't liked a Halo in a long time so I'm not getting my hopes up. Dying Light 2 really caught me off guard and has me excited. Had no clue it was even being made but I'm pumped. Liked the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer as well and can't wait for it. Not Xbox exclusives though

Also looking forward to The Division 2. I thought that looked great.

Bethesda was what I loved (Todd saved it)
Fallout 76 (amazing collectors edition already preordered)
Rage 2
Doom Eternal
ELDER SCROLLS 6 FINALLY
Starfield looks interesting
Downside is those aren't until the early 2020s.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No one. That is to say there were a couple solid conferences, but no real mic drops. Pretty underwhelming, really, as the highlights were games that were already known about.

EA sure as shit lost, though.

Reactions: Pilky01

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I dont think anybody won, EA and Square Enix were particularly awful, but I really love what nintendo is doing, especially the changes to smash.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think there was a clear winner, but in terms of actual E3 presentation I give it to Microsoft (yes, even with the "WORLD PREMIER" voice :laugh:). They showed a lot of games, talked about their future, and kept it interesting. A well rounded show.

Sony's "intermissions" cutting to their own panel was pretty bad to the point of me muting large sections of it, although they were saved by their few feature games looking very good (particularly Ghost of Tsushima in my mind). I really wish they had kept last year's style. I really enjoyed that.

EA, while not as atrocious as I cynically expected, was a tad boring.

Bethesda had some great teasers, but until Todd got up there it was pretty cringe. I'm skeptical of Fallout 76, but will likely play it. I'm super excited for Starfield and ESVI, but I'll be containing that excitement for a few years I'm sure.

Ubisoft's was pretty solid (outside of the Just Dance bit, but that always happens). I find myself surprisingly interested in AC Odyssey, which I didn't expect, and I'm very intrigued to see what Beyond Good and Evil 2 becomes.

Nintendo went hard on Smash and not a lot else. Smash is great, but I feel like they could've dedicated more time to other things. I might be biased here as I don't own a Switch. :laugh:

The PC show had some interesting content this year, but it dragged on.

And last but certainly not least, Devolver was even more WTF than usual.

Just my two cents of course.

I didn't catch Squeenix, but I hear it was short and sweet.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Yeah it was a pretty awful year. I was belly laughing at THREE Souls-like games set in Japan.

Sekiro is an action adventure game, not an action RPG; it's not completely unlike Souls games, but it doesn't appear to be all that similar (which is why many Souls fans are pissed off right now). Ghost of Tsushima looks nothing like a Souls game from what I've seen (open world, no monsters, different combat system). That leaves Nioh 2, but Nioh is still quite different from Soulsborne games despite the similarities; I expect Nioh 2 to stick closer to Nioh than Soulsborne games.

Any game looks like a Souls game if you squint hard enough.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Only Sony and Microsoft are concerned about competing directly. Switch is its own thing and always will be. Ubisoft and Bethesda make games for all 3 consoles.

Sony still has a massive lead in terms of internal studios and products. It showed in their presentation. Microsoft buying a bunch of smaller studios isn't going to help them catch up overnight or even by the launch of the next consoles around 2020.

So Sony "won" but their presentation was structured dumb and didn't contain a huge dump of info like most people prefer. Microsoft had the smoother presentation but had very little to show, especially if you aren't a Forza fan. They did nothing to motivate people to buy a 1X.

Cyberpunk is basically the game of the show for me and it will be on all 3 major platforms.

I think this has been Microsoft's problem in years past. They rely too much on being "Big Bad Tech Giant Microsoft" and gobbling up small dev studios rather than building internally and bolstering the studios they have now.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
In my opinion Microsoft would have if they showed actual Halo Infinite gameplay. Besides that they all were pretty meh, as everyone else has said.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If I was forced to pick one, I would say Sony. Even then, I wasn't too happy with them. Enough of the ridiculous presentations and venue changes. Spend less time doing that and more time showing me f***ing games. This year as a whole was really underwhelming.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sekiro is an action adventure game, not an action RPG; it's not completely unlike Souls games, but it doesn't appear to be all that similar (which is why many Souls fans are pissed off right now). Ghost of Tsushima looks nothing like a Souls game from what I've seen (open world, no monsters, different combat system). That leaves Nioh 2, but Nioh is still quite different from Soulsborne games despite the similarities; I expect Nioh 2 to stick closer to Nioh than Soulsborne games.

Any game looks like a Souls game if you squint hard enough.
Yeah I think From is distancing themselves a bit from certain parts of the souls formula. Apparently this new game has no PVP gameplay, which imo gives them more freedom. Dark Souls 3 kind of got out of hand with constant balancing patches that would affect the PvE experience just to appease the PvP crowd, boss weapons were the same or worse than the weapons you get at the start of the game

Now that thats not a concern im interested to see how it affects gameplay

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So much negativity. I liked all the conferences except EA.

I would have voted Devolver if it was here there. I was dying during their presentation.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bethesda won E3 and it’s not particularly close. More info on F76 including a 2018 release date, teasers for Starfield and ES6, tons of content for recently released games, and Todd Howard.

Sony was entirely underwhelming.

Devolver is the dark horse winner

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I guess someone has to win by the two sweetest words in the english language....De Fault.

deep-space-homer13.png

TBH though I only pay attention to Nintendo, and their presentation was very underwhelming.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
In my opinion it was Sony (even though I said it was slightly disappointing) if we just base it off the games.

Spider-Man looks like a must buy for me and GoT, Resident evil 2 were above average.

Microsoft for me only had Cyberpunk and Battletoads. And nobody knows what exactly Battletoads will be.

Beth gets third for Starfield and ES6. If we knew anything about them they would be higher. Didn’t care for the other conferences at all.

What’s this GoT game you speak of? Sorry I must have missed the news.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sony and Microsoft's conferences were pretty close in terms of games I'd be interested in, but I'll give Sony the edge because none of the stuff in MS's conference requires me to own an Xbox to play it.

Square's conference is being underrated and could end up being really good; new Platinum game, Octopath, Tomb Raider, Just Cause. I don't care about Kingdom Hearts but at least it's actually a thing now.

Bethesda being overrated as usual; Doom 2 title card that we won't see for 2 years. ES6 and Starfield title cards that we won't see for 3-4+ years. Rage 2 looks alright. Everything else they showed was disappointing as hell.

Ubisoft I'll opt out since I honestly don't give a shit about a single IP they have. I'm sure a lot of that stuff will be well made, though. I just wanted a Splinter Cell.

If you don't care about Smash the Nintendo lineup was weak as hell, but Daemon x Machina, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade 2 DLC saved it a bit for me.

EA: Probably better than their actual conference, based on what people seem to be saying about Anthem and Battlefield after getting hands on those at the show.

Devolver Digital is releasing Metal Wolf Chaos, so they won.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh Sony’s actual show was a giant lose. It was incredibly stupid. No release dates either.

Microsoft continues to not have any exclusives worth buying a Bone over a PS4 or Switch.

Nintendo not only forgot to bring other games this year. Plus the Smash stuff was taylored for the competitive crowd mostly.

EA...just yeah.

Bethesda brought logos and a disappointing Fallout game.

Ubisoft is Ubisoft.

Not sure why Square when bothered to have a conference.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nazisoft won, but only because they had to. Now with that said, Nintendo has most of the games I really want to play.

Sony was way too short, but I think they're saving a lot for the gaming expo in Japan.

And what was up with all the bands and live performances this year? It was such a waste of effin time. That Andrew WK one at Bethesda was just brutal. They're rocking out all hardcore and half of the fans were on their phones chequing facebook and what not. So cringeworthy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->