2021 Vezina Winner:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just announced today.

All 3 worthy candidates. I am having a hard time choosing.

In no order:

Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK)
Philipp Grubauer (COL)
Andrei Vasilevskiy (TBL)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vasilveski probably but Fleury has an outside chance the GMs felt like giving him a legacy win. Not that it would be dramatically unjustified.

Reactions: HBK27

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
None of them would be undeserving. Wouldn’t mind seeing Grubauer win it, but they’d never give it to him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not at all, he was easily vezina calibre this year.
If he were to win, I wouldn't be surprised to see some naysayers. To me, yeah I'm biased but yeah Vasi had the better numbers but to come back after a pretty bad year while coping with the loss of his father to have his best season and steal the starter spot right back from Lehner, especially at his age...to me that's more impressive. But not by so much more that I'd be upset if Vasi won or even Grubauer.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
To me this is a 2 horse race with Vasi and Fleury. Fleury has slightly better sv%, more shutouts, and better gaa.
Vasi has 6 more games (42 to 36) - and also plays in a strong division.

I can see Fleury winning it. He'll get some votes/love based on reputation/legacy - it's not that he's undeserving, but if you're 50/50 unsure who to pick, it's an extra reason to go Fleury. I think he wins.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Vas will win.

*warning*
homer opinion incoming
*warning*

gru did everything he could for Colorado. Everyone questioned Colorados goaltending and called it their weakness. Grubauer stepped up and laughed in critics faces this year. Sure he didn’t have to stop 40 plus a night but he did his job and gave the team confidence to play their game. Colorado played differently with others in net.

based on circumstance I would argue Grubauer had the most successful year of any goaltender, but I do concede that he likely wasn’t the best goalie in the nhl this year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Vasilevskiy was the clear leader about 2/3 through the season, but Fleury made it really close in the end. Usually the guys who are seen as the leader for the majority of the season have an advantage and in a typical year I think Vasilevskiy would be a very good bet, but the way some media have talked recently I think Fleury's career achievement might end up swinging it in his favour. Grubauer will end up 3rd though. I have zero doubt about that.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
To me this is a 2 horse race with Vasi and Fleury. Fleury has slightly better sv%, more shutouts, and better gaa.
Vasi has 6 more games (42 to 36) - and also plays in a strong division.

I can see Fleury winning it. He'll get some votes/love based on reputation/legacy - it's not that he's undeserving, but if you're 50/50 unsure who to pick, it's an extra reason to go Fleury. I think he wins.
Grubauer had a better GAA, more wins and more shutouts than Fluery so this notion of being a two horse race seems flawed. I think it's way closer than most think.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Fleury had the best year and should win the Vezina.

Vasilevskiy is the best goalie in the world though.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Would be really cool if MAF won it, especially considering he wasn't expected to be the starter coming into the season. I suspect Vasi wins it though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Vasilveski probably but Fleury has an outside chance the GMs felt like giving him a legacy win. Not that it would be dramatically unjustified.

It would be.... save the legacy wins for the all time great, like Lidstrom's Norris in 2011. Not run of the mill goalies like MAF who were largely unspectacular in their career.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Grubauer had a better GAA, more wins and more shutouts than Fluery so this notion of being a two horse race seems flawed. I think it's way closer than most think.
Grubauer performed better in metrics strongly correlated to team play? SHOCKER. There is a pretty clear gap if you look at any sort of advanced stat that takes into account additional information.

NHL Goalie Statistics

When you consider the team in front of them, I'm not sure Grubauer had a better season than Hellebuyck.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It would be.... save the legacy wins for the all time great, like Lidstrom's Norris in 2011. Not run of the mill goalies like MAF who were largely unspectacular in their career.
The difference between Vasi and Fleury wasn't that massive. To me it's more compelling that he had this year after being shy of a disaster last season while coping with the death of his father. I know it's not a comeback award but he still had a very good season. We can disagree on the merit of him winning, I'm just saying GMs may take that into account. It wouldn't be hard to see happening is essentially what I'm saying.

Best odds are still behind Vasi.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It should be Fleury and I think it will be. His career arc is insane. I can't believe he had his best season ever at 36

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad