Who wins the Rocket this year? Ovechkin or the field

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by SpinningEdge, Jul 25, 2019.

1. psycat

psycat Registered User

So Ovi won 6/7 but still it's somehow "smart" to bet on the field? Sure sooner or later(likely sooner) Ovechkin will stop contend for the Rocket but why would this be the year? I don't see any other clear cut favorites either. Matthews got injury issues, Draisaitl might be a one off with high shooting %, Laine inconsistent and so on.

I bet on Ovi.

2. IlikeEich

IlikeEich Registered User

Good question OP. I'd say Ovie 50%, Matthews 25%, Laine 10%, Rest of field 15%? Somethin like that, although I might wanna bump Matthews even higher- could potentially turn it up another level on a stacked team, friggin hate to say it but that dude will get his RRs sometime- might start this year.

OR

Laine will score 62 goals in the third game of the season and then do nothing the rest of the year. Also a possibility. Seriously though, I question his ability to return to form- make it 30% Matthews 5% Laine.

3. Ulysses31

Ulysses31 Registered User

Social Justice
    would nice to see laine rebound but he better sign before the start of the season

4. thadd

thadd Oil4Life

English teacher
    As much as I love my Oilers, I'd really like to see Ovechkin break #99's all time goal total, so I'm hoping Ovechkin does it again.
    Well... if Ovechkin scores 60 and Drai or McDavid somehow win the Rocket, I'm totally cool with that, as well. :P

Hippasus likes this.
  5. Employee427

Employee427 Registered User

In my opinion from now on he starts slowly declining in terms of goals scored and averages around 40 goals in next 5 seasons.
    Wont be best undisputed best goalscorer in league anymore but part of interchangeable TOP 5 or so (guys like Matthews, Laine, McDavid etc..). Will win 1 more RR in weak season for other goalscorers and ends up with 9 Richard Trophies total.

Wont win RR next season.

6. DFC

DFC Registered User

Ovy's the favorite until he stops winning them.

JenniferH and thadd like this.
  7. Ms Maggie

Ms Maggie Registered User

Always pick the field.

8. MMANumminen

MMANumminen Registered User

9. txpd

txpd Registered User

Ive seen the Ov movie and sequels enough now to believe he is declining when I see it. Everything said above could have applied to last season or the one before and didn't.

Here's the thing, what about his game last season showed any decline from the season before? You can make a case that his willingness to use his playmaking skill accelerated and that he grew his game. I think its fair to suggest that Ovechkin has never successfully brought his full range of skills to bare at the same time. As he has aged, he has adjusted and brought different skills out. The moment you have to treat his passing game with the same respect as his shooting game, his goal scoring will go back up again.

Sorry, he is going to have to prove to me he cant do it anymore.

Edit: A fully grown Tom Wilson only elevates the threat of Ovechkin.

JenniferH likes this.
  10. Thordic

Thordic StraightOuttaConklin

Finance
    The field is probably the safer bet but I'm not going to bet against Ovi.

JenniferH likes this.
  11. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

"The Field" is a boring option. Let's be specific. Laine has a lot to prove after a horrible season, and Ovechkin can't keep doing this forever. Laine is due to score over 50 goals, and Ovechkin is due for an injury. I say that Laine isn't the only person to finish ahead of Ovie too (including if Ovechkin is healthy). Colorado will score by the bushels, and MacKinnon will lead them. Look at McDavid to prove that 50 isn't out of reach for him, either.

12. bobholly39

bobholly39 Registered User

There are actually a lot of very legitimate contenders for the Rocket this year.

Laine - we all know how well he scan score goals. If he kept up his November pace last season all year long he'd have 100+ in a season. Not saying that's going to happen - but with more consistency he should be able to challenge for the Rocket.

Matthews - he's healthy, as far as i know none of his injuries are expected to have lingering effects - so short of predicting an injury for him, i think in a full season he should be a strong contender for 50

MacKinnon - With how well Colorado's top line produces, i don't think it'd be shocking to see him put 50

McDavid/Drai - Same as above. Just depends which of the 2 scores more vs assists, but i could see either/or scoring 50+ under the right circumstances

Then you still have a few darkhorses such as:

Pastrnak - Boston's top line was usually seen as better than even Colorado's or Edmonton's. with health and full season, maybe he breaks out

Malkin/Crosby/Kane - You never know, one of them could decide to break out for another top goal-scoring season as they have in the past.

Stamkos - Maybe shouldn't even be in the darkhorse category. With Kucherov and if he starts scoring like he can, he could be a legitimate contender.

Tavares - He did great with Marner last year, he could also score a few more and challenge.

I obviously agree that Ovechkin is the favorite among this group - but the field as a whole is actually a very strong choice.

biotk and pi314 like this.
  13. Muikea Bulju

Muikea Bulju Registered User

He did hit 41 goals in his 21-year-old-season

If they start to put him with their best players, give him loads of OZ-starts, 1:50 of every powerplay, and always keep good enough playerss with him on the power play, he might win the rocket some year.

I don't think he will win the Rocket in any season with high competition, but if some year 48 goals will do it, he might do it.

14. Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges Registered User Sponsor

Agree smart money is on the field, and I would have probably said that any of the past 5 years (and been almost always wrong lol), but it's a testament to Ovechkin that this is even a reasonable question.

Sam Spade likes this.
  15. StoneHands

StoneHands Registered User

I know everyone says to always take the field in these situations but those people would have gone broke over the last 7 years.

16. GeorgeLeafer12

GeorgeLeafer12 GEORGE=JORI,LEAFER=LEHTERÄ,12=JERSEY NUMBER

DJ
    Now obviously this below is my honest opinion, you can disagree all you want and you should...
    'cause we should all have are own voice and mind. Form your own opinions about things. This is mine.
    - i have formed this opinion after seeing his every single goal, point, great play
    all the way from from his OHL rookie season, to this day in the NHL

|

Alex DeBrincat scored the team leading 28 goals in his rookie season with absolutely atrocious minutes
    and line mates as a 19 and 20 year old (1st pro year, straight from juniors).

Alex defied the sophomore jinx by scoring 13 goals more with less than 3 minutes more of avg ice time per game
    as a 20 and 21 year old (2nd pro year).

Can someone find me another 20-21 year player who has ever scored 13 goals more (or 41 goals for that matter)
    what in his rookie season, with just above 17 minutes of ice time per game?,...cause not sure is there anyone else.

Alex is faaaaaaaaar away from being a ready player, or a player who has peaked.
    Alex is still very young raw talent, who is developing each year, he still has lots to improve his game to be complete.

DeBrincat's next season is his first full season with his OHL line mate and best friend; Dylan Strome.
    Their chemistry is magical and it will only grow each season as they grow and as long as they play together and both are healthy.
    On Hawks PP1 Alex gets a chance to play a first full season with Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and with his buddy Dylan Strome,
    Alex scored 13 PP goals already last season...expect that to double this season.

All that should be taken into consideration when predicting who is going to win the Rocket this season.
    - and all the above is the reason why i picked Alex DeBrincat to win the Rocket

PS. People are talking about his s% and how its too high and it will go down, significantly. Why should it thou?
    just because everyone else's have ? BULL!. It didn't go down in the OHL (as everyone expected it to go down),
    as a matter of fact, it went up each season. (as it has gone up so far in the NHL) Now NHL is a complete different animal what OHL
    <duh> however.... Alex DeBrincat isn't like any other player before, all of you must of already seen this to be true,
    or am i the only one who sees it????, hope not, because if not...he doesn't play hockey like others do,
    Alex plays hockey like a chess player plays chess.

17. CascadiaPuck

CascadiaPuck Registered User

Time is undefeated, so it's probably wiser to pick "the field" (dark horse from the field: Boeser with Pettersson and Q. Hughes setting him up for a bunch). But I'm hoping Ovechkin finds a way again!

18. thadd

thadd Oil4Life

English teacher
    Why would the field be a safer bet?
    Healthy Liane has a legit chance this year, but it looks like he might end up missing training camp.
    Point potentially missing training camp isn't going to make it any easier for anyone out of Tampa to challenge for the Rocket.
    I'm never going to bet on Matthews until he stays healthy for a full season like he managed to in his rookie season. And while he doesn't play on the same line as Marner 5 on 5, having Marner missing training camp again isn't going to help his chances.
    Who else stands a chance?
    I previously spouted Drai and McDavid for challengers and that should be no surprise since I'm an Oil fan and I am expecting more points out of Drai this year, but I'm still not ready to pencil he or McDavid in for Rocket winner.
    Ovechkin and his team are all signed, healthy and well rested considering they didn't come off of a deep playoff run. They have a few players nursing injuries, but they're all expected to be over rehab before training camp starts. I really feel the smart money in all situations points towards Ovie this year.

JenniferH and Hippasus like this.
  19. MrThomas

MrThomas Registered User

This trophy is made for Ovi and Laine

20. Deen

Deen Registered User

Either Ovie or Patrick Kane is who I'd put my money on.

21. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

I go with the field pretty easily. Ovi is barely finishing ahead of his peers as of late, and at his age hes not going to be getting better unlike some of the other Richard contenders.

22. FinnJet

FinnJet Just one Lainer

Ovi would still be my bet, but if Laine gets rid of what ever was slowing him down last season(and i don't mean Little) , he will score plenty just to prove him self. Ovi 20%, Laine 15%, Field 65%

23. Thordic

Thordic StraightOuttaConklin

Finance
    Because Ovi is one player, and the field is made up of a lot more than one player? And that field of players is younger. From a pure odds perspective, the odds that someone other than Ovi wins are better than Ovi winning. I can almost guarantee Vegas would agree with me.

But as I stated, I would still bet on Ovi because he's proven he can dominate and shows no signs of slowing down.

24. Burnaby Joe

Burnaby Joe Nate the Great

Ovechkin or McDavid.

25. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Moderator

I'll give you last season as it was a squeaker but 2018 he won by five goals, 2016 four goals, 2015 ten goals, 2014 eight goals. That's not "barely finishing ahead of his peers", that's being able to miss games and still win easily.