Who wins the Rocket this year? Ovechkin or the field

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not even being a homer but I think AM might win it. It’s hard to bet against Ovechkin who is nearing his mid 30s and still doing it, though. That’s unheard of.

Yup, came to say the same assuming he can stay healthy. Finished 2nd in his rookie year (and only full season). Goals goals / game are unreal and assuming they get a functioning PP this year, 50 is not unrealistic at all. Now, no idea where the line for the rocket is, but usually 50 is pretty damn close.

How can matthews not win it? A couple of leafs acolytes in the Marner signing threads are providing mounds of data on repeat every page that Matthews is in fact the greatest player in the history of professional sports.

My favorite thing about Matthews is how it gets salty comments like this every time. Like so many names in this thread, and as soon as Matthews gets mentioned people get up in arms about him being legitimately good and make posts like these.

Reactions: IPS

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Draisaitl is more likely to regress than Ovi, IMO. From what I recall, he had the highest SH% in the league while also playing the second-most minutes of any forward in the league.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Laine scored 30 goals years as a 20 years old while been injured all season and battling addiction . If everything goes right , I can see him scoring in the high 60’s

Reactions: Psych0dad

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I gotta think this is Matthews. He has the lowest average PP time in top 25 goalscorers over the last 3 years, yet the highest goals/60. Because he is scoring 15-20% more on even strength than his competition over the last 3 years it is not a stretch to think - with more toi, more pptoi and staying healthy - he's going to have his first rocket any year now. I say this and I dislike the Leafs more than any other team because of its fanbase

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovie scored only 28 goals (51) from initial/direct shots last season, his that stat been on the decline side for few seasons now
in that stat doesn't belong: EN goals,redirects,bounces,rebounds,bat ins, etc. etc

For example, Draisaitl scored 40 (50) from initial/direct shots last season
and Alex DeBrincat scored 38 (41) from initial/direct shots

And those 2 were the #1 and #2 in that particular stat in the entire NHL last season.
I don't see how that's a bad thing. He's gotten better at redirects. He watched tape on Sid and worked hard to improve his redirect game.

When Crosby won his last rocket he did so because of redirects.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
How can matthews not win it? A couple of leafs acolytes in the Marner signing threads are providing mounds of data on repeat every page that Matthews is in fact the greatest player in the history of professional sports.
Sour grapes much? It’s just a prediction calm down. Way to overreact to what people say too.

Reactions: Glacious

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I gotta think this is Matthews. He has the lowest average PP time in top 25 goalscorers over the last 3 years, yet the highest goals/60. Because he is scoring 15-20% more on even strength than his competition over the last 3 years it is not a stretch to think - with more toi, more pptoi and staying healthy - he's going to have his first rocket any year now. I say this and I dislike the Leafs more than any other team because of its fanbase

As a Leafs fan, I gotta say, you sound like you think it's locked up. "Gotta think"???

he stands a shot, I'd say, but so do 4 or 5 other guys.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Man if Draisaitl can replicate that season (I think it's unlikely) and Ovi FINALLY starts regressing - then the field.

Maybe guys like Matthews/Point with fully healthy seasons and stacked ass teams could put up a good fight.

But I expect Ovi to take it again. Hard to imagine anyone else winning it over that guy. He's just in a goal-scoring-world of his own.
I got to think Tippet will split Drai and McDavid to try and get more scoring going throughout the lineup so that would definately take away some of Drai's goal.

But honestly, I am still going Ovi, partially because I really want to see if he can beat Gretzkys record of goals so I am rooting for the guy.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I remember when he scored 33 in 2017, he was done according to most, the decline was beginning. Two Rockets later here we sit asking the same question.

One of these seasons, heck maybe it's this upcoming one, everyone who says the decline is coming will be correct and say "see I told you".

For the record if Matthews plays the entire season I can see him winning it.
"he's done" "he's going to be an anchor" "should the caps move on from ovi" etc.

I remember reading all those and thinking to myself "uh guys do have down years then bounce back".

6/7 years now and he's won the richard, yea someone going to catch him eventually as father time hits him but the guy is as pure of a sniper as I think I have seen since Selanne and probably better. Best part is everyone knows the Ovi spot and they still can't stop him because he just has such an uncanny ability to score.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He'll be 34 this year. What he's done is amazing but I expect one of the young guns to take it.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
50/50 chances. OVs shooting % last 3 years: 10.5%, 13.8%, 15.1%. Last season he scored from his "office" and seems like had more variety of shots/locations which increased shooting %.
I think he will get to around 50 again. Field is hard to predict, lots of inconsistent scorers.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Reverse jinx is reverse jinx.
I actually think the people saying Ovi will hit 895 are out to lunch though. I don't see him even hitting 795. And in Ovi's down years he's scoring 30-35, with his age he'll likely score the same amount as his downyears from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad