Who wins the Rocket this year? Ovechkin or the field

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin led the playoffs in goals that year.... so no.
A narrative win? The space Ovechkin afforded/affords his team during that run is insane. He is unlike any player in the league when he's on the ice, defenders gravitate to him and it opens up so much. So many free points and goals simply due to the gravity well that Ovechkin creates. The crap this Westcoast user posts about Ovechkin is just hilarious to read at this point.

Utter nonsense and complete hater of the man.

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
A narrative win? The space Ovechkin afforded his team during that run is insane. So many free points and goals simply due to the gravity well that Ovechkin creates. The crap this Wetcoast user posts about Ovechkin is just hilarious to read at this point.

No one points out the intangibles that OV brings and I'm happy you finally did. westcoast is a Crosby fan so what else do you expect.

The CS comparison of '16 and '18 is nonsense.

I would like your post but I'm currently banned for god knows how long.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is how I know you didn't watch, Kuznetsov was absolute garbage and so was Holtby. Carlson was fine? Backstrom played well but again, their line is the only line that showed up.
I did indeed watch about half of the series but like most posters on these boards I have this thing called a job that prevents me from watching 100% of every series which no doubt you did right?

Also now the be had no help arguement excludes players on his line and PP detail?

Your initial statement was a stretch and we will see a further slight decline in the regular season.

Father time catches up with everyone.

No doubt Ovechkin will be among the NHLs top goal scorers but should that be a surprise to a volume shooter playing top PP minutes in the league for a forward and with playmakers like the top 2 centers that the Capitals have?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I did indeed watch about half of the series but like most posters on these boards I have this thing called a job that prevents me from watching 100% of every series which no doubt you did right?

Also now the be had no help arguement excludes players on his line and PP detail?

Your initial statement was a stretch and we will see a further slight decline in the regular season.

Father time catches up with everyone.

No doubt Ovechkin will be among the NHLs top goal scorers but should that be a surprise to a volume shooter playing top PP minutes in the league for a forward and with playmakers like the top 2 centers that the Capitals have?
Yes, none of us have careers. If you didn't watch just say so, don't try and tell me Kuznetsov was awesome when anyone who watched him all year knows he was terrible and likely dusting nose beers all year long. Just hold the L and admit you just don't like Ovechkin and we can call it a day.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes, none of us have careers. If you didn't watch just say so, don't try and tell me Kuznetsov was awesome when anyone who watched him all year knows he was terrible and likely dusting nose beers all year long. Just hold the L and admit you just don't like Ovechkin and we can call it a day.

I've already stated that I watched close to half the series, as if that really matters on these boards anyways.

Also no one is claiming that Kuznetzov was awesome either.

He was , as the others players listed, closer to wiping out the original "no help" arguement being put forward.

Let's not pretend that there isn't alot of room between "no help" and " awesome" the 2 terms you have used here.

But to be fair it was a letdown from his Conn Smythe worthy performance in 18.

No doubt when father time catches up with Ovechkin there are going to be some pretty weird arguements put forward around these parts.

And on a final note don't pull the " I don't agree with you so I must hate Ovechkin " argument as it makes it look like you don't have one.

I have stated on the record for quite some time now that he is the greatest goal scorer in the history on the NHL and the 2nd best player since the lockout.

Those are 2 extremely elite accomplishments.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ovechkin is an anomaly of a hockey player. I'll take him. Especially since he is surrounded by other great offensive talent and a good offensive D cast.

I actually expect him to rebound from his mediocre year last season. After winning the Cup for the first time and parting all summer it was normal he had a bit of a down.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
It's hard to go against Ovechkin but he just keeps winning it. -- So, Draisaitl scored 50 and Ovechkin 51. -- I don't see Ovi scoring more but I don't see Draisaitl repeating. Hard to tell. There are always newcomers in the talk every year.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
A narrative win? The space Ovechkin afforded/affords his team during that run is insane. He is unlike any player in the league when he's on the ice, defenders gravitate to him and it opens up so much. So many free points and goals simply due to the gravity well that Ovechkin creates. The crap this Westcoast user posts about Ovechkin is just hilarious to read at this point.

You are absolutely right on the extra things Ovi does on the ice.

What you are wrong about is that "he is unlike anyone else in the league." Calm down a bit. Ovi isnt the only player who creates a lot of space for others.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
You are absolutely right on the extra things Ovi does on the ice.

What you are wrong about is that "he is unlike anyone else in the league." Calm down a bit. Ovi isnt the only player who creates a lot of space for others.
That he creates space for his linemates to score by drawing so many players to him, yet still consistently scores himself more goals than anyone definitely makes him “not like others”. Not the entirely ‘how’, but the quality (and the context) is unseen for some time.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I fully expected him to slow down this season. I am not seeing any slowing down. Having said that, the field. The guy is 34, it's got to mean something.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
That he creates space for his linemates to score by drawing so many players to him, yet still consistently scores himself more goals than anyone definitely makes him “not like others”. Not the entirely ‘how’, but the quality (and the context) is unseen for some time.

Ah i see where i went wrong. I read "score" as in gain points, not literally score goal.

I'll bow out of this now cause there is no winning the argument when cherrypicking is involved.

Carry on.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Yes, because that's how Ovie has become the greatest goal scorer of his generation. By scoring empty net goals.

Correct, but still the most greedy empty net chaser in league history! The caps put him out there everytime even though they have far better players to use protection a lead, its greedy. Empty netters should not count in individual stats.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Correct, but still the most greedy empty net chaser in league history! The caps put him out there everytime even though they have far better players to use protection a lead, its greedy. Empty netters should not count in individual stats.
It’s not the same as being short handed, Teams always put theirs best shooter on the line because 90% of the team can’t hit the broad side of the net! It’s funny but there’s more pressure to hit a empty net, than one with a goaltender in it.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Trotz had a couple year scretch where he never put him out there against empty net. That worked worse than putting Ovie there. Ovie is likely to score that empty netter and finnish off the game, like today.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I give Ovi as good of chance as anyone but don't think he will win this year. He has surprised me before though so don't sell him short.

I think Matthews has the best chance of winning it if he can stay healthy all season

Laine, McDavid, DeBrincat, Kane, Drai, and a few others have a good chance of getting it as well.

My personal guess of what goal scoring will look like this year:

1) AM
2) McDavid
3) Ovi
4) DeBrincat
5) Stamkos
6) Draisatl
7) Laine
8) Tavares
9) Kane
10) Kuchervov

Anyone's guess though!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Then 75% of secondary assists shouldn't either. ;)

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I give Ovi as good of chance as anyone but don't think he will win this year. He has surprised me before though so don't sell him short.

I think Matthews has the best chance of winning it if he can stay healthy all season

Laine, McDavid, DeBrincat, Kane, Drai, and a few others have a good chance of getting it as well.

My personal guess of what goal scoring will look like this year:

1) AM
2) McDavid
3) Ovi
4) DeBrincat
5) Stamkos
6) Draisatl
7) Laine
8) Tavares
9) Kane
10) Kuchervov

Anyone's guess though!