Who wins the Rocket this year? Ovechkin or the field

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Man if Draisaitl can replicate that season (I think it's unlikely) and Ovi FINALLY starts regressing - then the field.

Maybe guys like Matthews/Point with fully healthy seasons and stacked ass teams could put up a good fight.

But I expect Ovi to take it again. Hard to imagine anyone else winning it over that guy. He's just in a goal-scoring-world of his own.

Reactions: KYams17

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Questions like will Ovi break 895 are dumb. In his next 4 seasons he will score a total of 126 goals (34, 32, 31, 29) and then he will retire from the league with around 784 goals. He wont even be a 30 goal scorer 4 years from now!

Reactions: SeanConn

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I think Ovi is still the favorite but I'd go with the field for sure. Ovi might fade a bit, might miss 10+ games with injury, someone else could have a big season. 35-40% chance Ovi wins again.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Always take the field.

There were 10 players within 10 goals of Ovechkin last season, and every single one of them is younger than him, most considerably younger.

He may not decline next season, but he is getting older and it’s going to be more difficult for him with each passing year.

Plenty of great goal scorers in this league and there are a number of excellent candidates who could pot 50 next season.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Hum almost feel like likely for how much dominant he has been, that said last season 15.1% was is best shooting percentage in career, is shooting was not that higher than is 30 something goal seasons, would need some "bounce back" to over 370 shot to be a safe winner.

Go with the field.

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
I think Ovi will score around 45 goals this year and someone else will win it with only a few more.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Feel like this year will be ovechkin last rocket. Of course its like we are saying this every year and then he just wins it again and again

Reactions: JenniferH

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Questions like will Ovi break 895 are dumb. In his next 4 seasons he will score a total of 126 goals (34, 32, 31, 29) and then he will retire from the league with around 784 goals. He wont even be a 30 goal scorer 4 years from now!

Oveckin can be a 30 goal scorer just by standing in one spot on the pp lol

Second of all, why is he retiring at age 37?? Your telling me he is just gonna retire and not even attempt the record?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The field. Ovi is done winning rockets. He will get between 30-35 goals.

I'll say the same thing every year....until I'm right.

Ovechkin isnt the force he once was but he is still the best goal scorer in the history of hockey and has the best opportunity with more PP time than any of his competitors.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Until proven otherwise I have to go with Ovechkin.

Until i see his legs starting to go, and they are always the first to go with any aging athlete who is otherwise healthy, then I can't bet against him yet.

And I sure as hell didn't see them showing their age last year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I remember when he scored 33 in 2017, he was done according to most, the decline was beginning. Two Rockets later here we sit asking the same question.

One of these seasons, heck maybe it's this upcoming one, everyone who says the decline is coming will be correct and say "see I told you".

For the record if Matthews plays the entire season I can see him winning it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Always take the field.

There were 10 players within 10 goals of Ovechkin last season, and every single one of them is younger than him, most considerably younger.

He may not decline next season, but he is getting older and it’s going to be more difficult for him with each passing year.

Plenty of great goal scorers in this league and there are a number of excellent candidates who could pot 50 next season.

Generally I would agree. But that's been a losers bet in 6 of the last 7 years. I actually don't think there's many guys who have more than an outside shot at 50. Matthews and Laine should change things soon but the competition for goalscorers has been pretty weak lately

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad