Who wins the Norris right now?

Who wins the Norris right now?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you just compare Matthews and Marner to Spezza and Skinner? Seriously?

It's more like Malkin + St.Louis

Get real, they're both proving they're franchise players.

Oh relax Spezza was competing for the league lead in PPG and led the playoffs in scoring one year, I know leaf fans stopped watching hockey for a period of time but it doesnt mean that everyone else did too.

Comparing Matthews to Malkin right now is quite a presumptuous statement, thats if absolutely everything works out for Matthews and he reaches his max potential.

Chabot and Rielly don't come anywhere close to Giordano defensively.

And Gio doesnt have the offensive impact they do, he cant turn it up and jump into the rush when they are down a goal like Rielly and Chabot can. Anyone that thinks that a specific player is a run away leader right now is being a homer or isnt watching the other players. Its a toss up between the three of them. Chabot is doing the most with the least around him right now and is the biggest offensive catalyst while being the weakest defensively.

If I was guessing who ends up winning it I think at the end of the year its going to be Rielly he will sustain his offensive production while playing on the best team of the three. I dont see Giordano sustaining this offense.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Oh relax Spezza was competing for the league lead in PPG and led the playoffs in scoring one year, I know leaf fans stopped watching hockey for a period of time but it doesnt mean that everyone else did too.

Comparing Matthews to Malkin right now is quite a presumptuous statement, thats if absolutely everything works out for Matthews and he reaches his max potential.

Oh I'm quite aware, doesn't make it any less ludicrous. Avs fans would be offended if Nate Mack was compared to Spezza, so why is this any different? Matthews is proven talent and I'm sick of hearing he has to prove himself. He's 20 years old and already has the best shot in the league, and no its not arguable. I'm generally very unbiased but when it comes to shit like this it's super annoying.

If you think Skinner is anywhere close to Marner then it's pretty evident you stopped watching hockey. Sure skinner is having a beast of a season, but if you think Marner is his equal, you're kidding yourself. Marner is Top 5 in scoring right now for a reason. Tavares is the passenger on his line, that should indicate something.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
And in the end of the year you ll find out it is

a) 1D major market team like BOS/CHI/LA/TOR

b) The top scoring D.

Sorry to piss in your cereals, but Norris is a popularity contest for media people. They only cover some of the games and the large market teams get more games covered. Thus they get more votes. Also Gio is too old to win it.

But all the best for hoping, I guess someone has to win the Norris in Western Canada. The 1st ever.

You do realize there’s never been a Toronto defenseman to win the Norris

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
You do realize there’s never been a Toronto defenseman to win the Norris

Only applies if the TOR pseudoforward wins the scoring sheet. Winning NHL scoring title for Defensemen = the best blueliner in the league.

At least TOR plays on the side of the continent where the voters live.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Only applies if the TOR pseudoforward wins the scoring sheet. Winning NHL scoring title for Defensemen = the best blueliner in the league.

At least TOR plays on the side of the continent where the voters live.
Keith, burns, doughty are recent winners. 3 of the past 5 have come from the west. Don't think theres much to this regional bias

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
lol u just compared Matthews to Malkin. Did Malkin ever get embarrrassedly shut down in the playoffs before?
Yeah he did. By the Bruins too. Goes to show how long you've been following hockey for.

Good god, these kids need to brush up on a little history before they go talking smack.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
And Gio doesnt have the offensive impact they do, he cant turn it up and jump into the rush when they are down a goal like Rielly and Chabot can. Anyone that thinks that a specific player is a run away leader right now is being a homer or isnt watching the other players. Its a toss up between the three of them. Chabot is doing the most with the least around him right now and is the biggest offensive catalyst while being the weakest defensively.

If I was guessing who ends up winning it I think at the end of the year its going to be Rielly he will sustain his offensive production while playing on the best team of the three. I dont see Giordano sustaining this offense.

lol

Giordano has 2 less points in the same amount of games as Rielly and that's despite Rielly having an incredibly unsustainable 5v5 oiSH% of 13.31%, which is 5th highest in the NHL among D-men behind Chabot, Carlsson, DeMelo and Beaulieu.

Giordano, on the other hand, has a much better chance of sustaining his current production as his 10.11% oiSH% would indicate.

On top of that, Rielly's personal shooting percentage (11.7%) is 6.9% higher than his career average (4.8%) which makes it ridiculously unsustainable whereas Giordano's shooting percentage is currently 3.5% lower than his career average.

Before writing such ridiculous things with absolutely no evidence to back it up, do just a tiny bit of research.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If Rielly maintains his current level of play he will take it easily

pace: 25g/88pts/+40

Reactions: IPS

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
lol

Giordano has 2 less points in the same amount of games as Rielly and that's despite Rielly having an incredibly unsustainable 5v5 oiSH% of 13.31%, which is 5th highest in the NHL among D-men behind Chabot, Carlsson, DeMelo and Beaulieu.

Giordano, on the other hand, has a much better chance of sustaining his current production as his 10.11% oiSH% would indicate.

On top of that, Rielly's personal shooting percentage (11.7%) is 6.9% higher than his career average (4.8%) which makes it ridiculously unsustainable whereas Giordano's shooting percentage is currently 3.5% lower than his career average.

Before writing such ridiculous things with absolutely no evidence to back it up, do just a tiny bit of research.

maybe just maybe rielly is scoring because he often gets into scoring area and doesnt just blast it from the point like giordano?

nice job using career averages on a kid who is clearly having a breakout season and is finally showing the confidence to rush the puck also you failed to mention how rielly has only 2 extra points, in significantly less ice time. guess pts/60 isnt important eh?

Reactions: IPS

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maybe a bit of a homer vote but Giordano.

27 points in 28 games while also being a beast in his own zone, not just the o-zone
Yea, I might live in Calgary but I'm an Oilers fan and I'd have to agree with this.
P.S. Very happy he got suspended for 2 games! haha

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
maybe just maybe rielly is scoring because he often gets into scoring area and doesnt just blast it from the point like giordano?

nice job using career averages on a kid who is clearly having a breakout season and is finally showing the confidence to rush the puck also you failed to mention how rielly has only 2 extra points, in significantly less ice time. guess pts/60 isnt important eh?

Oof what a bad post.

Let's take a look at the D-men (minimum 40 games played) over the last 5 seasons who had the highest oiSH% in the NHL:

Again, this season, Rielly is currently sitting at an oiSH% 13.31% (which you somehow think is sustainable lmao)

2017-18: Matt Niskanen (10.68%) career average of 9.0%
2016-17: Brady Skjei (10.90%) career average of 8.6%
2015-16: Ryan McDonagh (11.57%) career average of 9.8%
2014-15: Victor Hedman (11.65%) career average of 9.9%
2013-14: Francois Beauchemin (11.47%) career average of 8.4%

Yet you think Rielly, who's current oiSH% is 1.66% higher than the next closest player over the last 5 years and is 4.61% higher than his career average, is currently playing sustainable hockey? Lol

Now, let's take a look at the highest shooting percentage among D-men (minimum 5 goals + 40 games) in each of the last 5 seasons:

Again, this season, Rielly is currently sitting at a SH% of 11.69% (which, again, you think is somehow sustainable lmao)

2017-18: Kevin Connauton (11 goals/10.78%) career average of 6.1%
2016-17: Jamie Oleksiak (5 goals/15.15%) career average of 7.3%
2015-16: Kevin Klein (9 goals/13.04%) career average of 5.9%
2014-15: Trevor Daley (16 goals/14.16%) career average of 6.4%
2013-14: Nick Holden (10 goals/15.15%) career average of 8.4%

The player who scored the most goals and took the most shots in a season was Daley with 16 goals and 113 shots, respectively, yet you think Rielly, who's currently on pace for 25 goals and 218 shots, can sustain his current shooting percentage (which is currently 6.9% higher than his career average)? Lmao x2

Take off your homer glasses and give your head a long, hard shake

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Chabot and Rielly don't come anywhere close to Giordano defensively.

I think you're confusing chabot with someone else. Chabot is no slouch defensively. No one is easily/loads better than chabot because he's up there at both ends of the ice. Chabot is not karlsson 2.0. he doesn't get dangled all the time or leave guys open defensively.

You under rate his defensive game.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Did you just compare Matthews and Marner to Spezza and Skinner? Seriously?

It's more like Malkin + St.Louis

Get real, they're both proving they're franchise players.

I think you're down playing spezza. Wasn't he top 5 or 10 PPG over a decade? I think from 2005-2015 he was near at a PPG.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No he's not, he's a Sabres fan who happens to follow the Leafs. You clearly haven't followed his postings too much.

You can be a fan of 2 teams.

He's a leaf fan and a sabres fan. There. Not hard to understand.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh I'm quite aware, doesn't make it any less ludicrous. Avs fans would be offended if Nate Mack was compared to Spezza, so why is this any different? Matthews is proven talent and I'm sick of hearing he has to prove himself. He's 20 years old and already has the best shot in the league, and no its not arguable. I'm generally very unbiased but when it comes to **** like this it's super annoying.

If you think Skinner is anywhere close to Marner then it's pretty evident you stopped watching hockey. Sure skinner is having a beast of a season, but if you think Marner is his equal, you're kidding yourself. Marner is Top 5 in scoring right now for a reason. Tavares is the passenger on his line, that should indicate something.

Whats annoying? The part where i said Matthews needs to prove it to be compared to one if the best players in this era.... Oh the horror.

Where did i say skinner was equivlant to marner. Please quote me. You just had an argument with yourself.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Ristolainen, Heiskanen and Karlsson has votes?

I voted Giordano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad