Who wins the Norris right now?

Who wins the Norris right now?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You're the guy who was passionately arguing for McDavid and a potato sack as being more valuable than Matthews and Marner. We know you have your anti-Leafs bias already.
The guy saying ‘Rielly easily’ should not be calling out anyone for bias.
If you want to homer vote, be my guest. Just don’t say it’s him easily. It’s not.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Carlson. Lead D-men in points last year, leads D-men in points/gp this year (2 less points in 2 less games than chabot. Plays the most ice-time of any D-men that are close to him in points.

Chabot, Rielly, Yandle play like no PK. And Carlson leads the others that are close in points in PK TOI/gp.

He's "due".

His highest finishes are 5th and 10th. I don't think the "due" factor works for him

Dustermurphystyle

Jan 13, 2012
Canada
How is it anymore ridiculous than someone saying its Giordano or Rielly? Honestly confused.
I’m saying THESE type of comments are ridiculous. Saying Giordano or Reilly is better is just as ridiculous unless you’ve actually seen them all play a decent amount to compare. At least, provide some form of reasoning as to why they are better (i.e. points or some other metric). I just find it hard to believe someone has seen enough out of all these players to conclude that one is “better” than the others.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m saying THESE type of comments are ridiculous. Saying Giordano or Reilly is better is just as ridiculous unless you’ve actually seen them all play a decent amount to compare. At least, provide some form of reasoning as to why they are better (i.e. points or some other metric). I just find it hard to believe someone has seen enough out of all these players to conclude that one is “better” than the others.
I have been fortunate to see alot of both Rielly and Chabot. I have watched about 8 or 9 flames games. Would you say thats enough to make an opinion?

Personally I think there is an argument for all 3 of them, what the person values most in a player likely determines who they go with. I dont really think there is a wrong answer with who you personally choose. I agree that comments like 'ainec' are outrageous so i think we agree on that.

Dustermurphystyle

Jan 13, 2012
Canada
I have been fortunate to see alot of both Rielly and Chabot. I have watched about 8 or 9 flames games. Would you say thats enough to make an opinion?

Personally I think there is an argument for all 3 of them, what the person values most in a player likely determines who they go with. I dont really think there is a wrong answer with who you personally choose. I agree that comments like 'ainec' are outrageous so i think we agree on that.

I mean I wouldn't say there is any set number of games that makes an opinion valid, but in your case I'd argue that it's a decent enough sample size. Had that poster mentioned that, I would have completely accepted his assessment (for the record, I didn't want to go after that one specific poster, I just see these comments far too often and felt compelled to say something).

Someone being "better" means nothing to me - preface it with some kind of reasoning or explanation. I don't know - maybe I am just being pissy, but these comments do tend to bother me.

Also - completely agree with the "AINEC" comments, those are even more ridiculous... should have went after one of those comments

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Gio definitely running away with it right now in my eyes, lots of time for that to change though.

Gio is producing like the rest of the other top D but hes much better defensively, plays all situations more frequently and provides some physical bite to his game. Right now there isnt a better 2 way defender in the NHL. Chabot, Reilyl and Carlson dont have the defensive game to be in the conversation with him right now. McDonagh has the defensive game but his offense isnt there with Gio right now

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
The ice-time argument is probably pretty useless. There is always an assumption on here that the people who vote for a trophy are going to give the same amount of sh#ts as you do about what ever you decide to care about - and whatever you decided to care about is pretty much whatever you think either puts a player you like in the best light, or a player you don't like (or a player who plays for a team you don't like) in the worst light. I have never seen any evidence that most sports writers could give any sh$ts at all about the crap that people argue about on HF. They didn't give a crap that Subban was playing 4 minutes a game less than the D he beat out. Well it would probably be more accurate to say that most of the voting sports writers didn't know that Subban was playing 4 minutes less because they could care less about such things.

Rielly's ice-time indicates nothing except who his coach is. It is about a minute less than Lidstrom played during his last Norris winning season, and Babs has shifted more towards accepting what the Leafs' sports science team advocates since. At 5v5 Babcock hard matches his D against the opposing forwards like no other coach. Rielly gets the toughest match up. He plays more at ES (35 seconds more per game) than higher TOI D like Giordano - the difference is special teams. Despite Toronto having a stacked PP1 for the first time, Babs still doesn't play them any more than his PP2. Giordano plays 50% more PP time, and 2.7 times as much PK time. Again - this is pure Babs only playing players either on the PP or PK. Rielly is the only exception - playing on the PP1 and PK2 - but Babs has the D (Hainsey and Zaitsev) on PK1 take almost all the PK time. (And no - before someone mentions it - Marner and Tavares are not regulars on the PK - that is Hyman, Brown, Lindholm and Kapanen. Marner and Tavares are spare PKers who generally are only on at the end of a PK with the hope of creating offense around the time 5v5 resumes).

Let me guess, Leafs fan?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I dont think its unreasonable to take Mcdavid. Its like Crosby vs Spezza and Skinner.
Did you just compare Matthews and Marner to Spezza and Skinner? Seriously?

It's more like Malkin + St.Louis

Get real, they're both proving they're franchise players.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Giordano eh @gwh

And in the end of the year you ll find out it is

a) 1D major market team like BOS/CHI/LA/TOR

b) The top scoring D.

Sorry to piss in your cereals, but Norris is a popularity contest for media people. They only cover some of the games and the large market teams get more games covered. Thus they get more votes. Also Gio is too old to win it.

But all the best for hoping, I guess someone has to win the Norris in Western Canada. The 1st ever.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Let me guess, Leafs fan?
Actually no he's not, he's a Sabres fan. He simply lays out the facts with no bias and all of a sudden he's getting accused of all sorts of crazy things.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Did you just compare Matthews and Marner to Spezza and Skinner? Seriously?

It's more like Malkin + St.Louis

Get real, they're both proving they're franchise players.
lol u just compared Matthews to Malkin. Did Malkin ever get embarrrassedly shut down in the playoffs before?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->