Who wins the Norris right now?

Who wins the Norris right now?

• Total voters

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
While he may not be having a great offensive season so far, when looking at some of the names on that list, Pietrangelo certainly should be an option.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
Rielly for this season alone, but it would probably go to Gio as a lifetime achievement award
If it were this season alone and we're basing it mainly on points why wouldn't Chabot win it? He has more points on a significantly worse team. I know its only 1 point but its still more. And if we're not basing it on points then Giordano is clearly the best with 3 fewer points and a way better defender overall. Curious

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If it were this season alone and we're basing it mainly on points why wouldn't Chabot win it? He has more points on a significantly worse team. I know its only 1 point but its still more. And if we're not basing it on points then Giordano is clearly the best with 3 fewer points and a way better defender overall. Curious
And Chabot plays closer the minutes of traditional Norris winners.

If Reilly were to win it, he’d be the first 22 min/game player to winner that I can remember.

Voted Giordano.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Gio. Not that close right now IMO when looking at all round defensemen. I’d probably have Chabot next and then Rielly. But it’s still early.

Reactions: L13

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Ryan McDonagh. Seems like everyone's forgotten about him ever since the Rangers traded him, but he leads everyone on +/- and is also having the best season of his career when it comes to production. He is so elite he does all this without making noise.

Reactions: The S5

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

If Reilly were to win it, he’d be the first 22 min/game player to winner that I can remember.

Voted Giordano.

Yeah this sums up my thoughts as well.

Edit: do think Morgan is a finalist as of today, though

Reactions: L13

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah this sums up my thoughts as well.

Edit: do think Morgan is a finalist as of today, though
I think it would be an oversight to not have him in the mix.

And to be clear, I’m not saying that Im definitely sure he won’t win it. Just that if he does, it would be an historic shift from traditional voting.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Voted Giordano.
If Rielly were to win the Norris averaging the same TOI for the rest of the season, that would be the lowest TOI/GP of any Norris winner since time on ice has been officially tracked. The next lowest is Subban in 2013 who averaged about a minute more than Rielly (Lidstrom averaged a little bit more than Subban in 2012). Every other Norris winner has averaged atleast 24.5 minutes per game. Most have averaged over 26 and some even 28-29+

Last edited:
Reactions: koyvoo

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
1st impulse was Rielly, looked at it, still vote Rielly

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
coming up to the midway point of the season, its good to see some new candidates this year, none of the usual suspects are in contention and it's because other guys have really stepped up

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
because Chabot faces easier competition and has worse defensive metrics. I think Giordano has been at least as good as Rielly, but the fact that Rielly is doing it with Hainsey puts it slightly in his favour. If the voters wanted to give it to Gio because he's been better for longer it would be okay though

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
because Chabot faces easier competition and has worse defensive metrics. I think Giordano has been at least as good as Rielly, but the fact that Rielly is doing it with Hainsey puts it slightly in his favour. If the voters wanted to give it to Gio because he's been better for longer it would be okay though
No they want to give it to Gio because he's been better this season.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The ice-time argument is probably pretty useless. There is always an assumption on here that the people who vote for a trophy are going to give the same amount of sh#ts as you do about what ever you decide to care about - and whatever you decided to care about is pretty much whatever you think either puts a player you like in the best light, or a player you don't like (or a player who plays for a team you don't like) in the worst light. I have never seen any evidence that most sports writers could give any sh$ts at all about the crap that people argue about on HF. They didn't give a crap that Subban was playing 4 minutes a game less than the D he beat out. Well it would probably be more accurate to say that most of the voting sports writers didn't know that Subban was playing 4 minutes less because they could care less about such things.

Rielly's ice-time indicates nothing except who his coach is. It is about a minute less than Lidstrom played during his last Norris winning season, and Babs has shifted more towards accepting what the Leafs' sports science team advocates since. At 5v5 Babcock hard matches his D against the opposing forwards like no other coach. Rielly gets the toughest match up. He plays more at ES (35 seconds more per game) than higher TOI D like Giordano - the difference is special teams. Despite Toronto having a stacked PP1 for the first time, Babs still doesn't play them any more than his PP2. Giordano plays 50% more PP time, and 2.7 times as much PK time. Again - this is pure Babs only playing players either on the PP or PK. Rielly is the only exception - playing on the PP1 and PK2 - but Babs has the D (Hainsey and Zaitsev) on PK1 take almost all the PK time. (And no - before someone mentions it - Marner and Tavares are not regulars on the PK - that is Hyman, Brown, Lindholm and Kapanen. Marner and Tavares are spare PKers who generally are only on at the end of a PK with the hope of creating offense around the time 5v5 resumes).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->