Who Wins the Jack Adams Award?

Jack Adams Winner?

• Total voters

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There are lots of good options, but I'll just name off the ones I think would deserve some consideration.

Trocchet - Coyotes
- Has kept the Coyotes in the WC race, even with key players injured for either the whole season or for most of it. With all of the injuries, it was the Tuscon Coyotes at times. If the Coyotes make the playoffs, Trocchet has a strong case of winning this trophy.

Peters - Flames
- Turned a bubble team flipping on and off in playoff consideration since 14/15 to a team that can potentially make a solid run as a cup contender starting this year.

Brind'Amour - Hurricanes
- Has made this team competitive, even without a top goaltender in the league. They give 100%.

Trotz - Islanders
- Tavares left to Toronto, and almost all of HF didn't expect the Isles to be in any kind of playoff consideration. Trotz has made this team turn a complete 180, heading in the right direction. Isles fans should be pleased, they should be clinching a spot pronto.

Berube - Blues
- Probably the most interesting one of the bunch. The Blues were off to a terrible start in the 18/19 season Mike Yeo as head coach. Once Yeo was fired, they hired Berube as interim head coach for the time being, but with the same exact roster Berube has turned the Blues into a likely playoff team. A little of that has to do with the success of rookie goaltender Binnington, but the fact remains that Berube has turned the same roster into a competitive playoff team.

EDIT:
Cooper - Lightning
- Originally did not add Cooper on the list, but with arguably the biggest success in the regular season by a salary cap era team, they most certainly overlooked me. What is to be said about Tampa Bay, they are loaded from top to bottom. They are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup, let's see if their regular season success can give them the momentum to win 16 more games after the 82 game season.

Which coach do you think deserves the Jack Adams? I flipped flopped between Berube and Trotz, but went with Trotz after thinking that the Isles would be a bottom feeder. They are far from a bottom feeder.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Added Cooper.

Didn't add him before because he has a lot of quality players on his team, but I suppose you can put a lot of the success on this with coaching.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd kinda like to see Cooper win, if for anything to throw off this notion it needs to go to whoever did the most with the least expectations. Sure he's got a great team, but that great team has been playing like a great team all year not just because they decided to. Coaching is largely about the details, and I think the Lightning are succeeding the way they have not just on talent alone. They work very hard,

Least there are some very good candidates up there this year, could really make compelling cases for any of those names. It was obvious the Adams was going to Gallant by the middle of January last year.

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Added Cooper.

Didn't add him before because he has a lot of quality players on his team, but I suppose you can put a lot of the success on this with coaching.

So do the Flames. Cooper is coaching his team to the best record in a very long time. It’s very hard to imagine the Lightning playing any better than they have been this year.

Anyways, the yearly “surprise success on a team nobody thought would be good” award will go to Trotz.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Trotz. The Isles were predicted to bottom out after losing Tavares, especially considering how pathetic their defense was last season. Trotz not only has them battling for 1st in the Metro, but battling for the Jennings trophy as well.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'd go with Cooper. He has the Lightning on the verge of a rare and incredible regular season achievement.
Good on Trotz and others for getting their teams into the playoffs after missing the prior year but that is something that happens every season and quite often to multiple teams.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would vote for Cooper. But, Trotz will win, because the Jack Adams is basically a proxy-award for the team that most exceeded what people predicted at the beginning of the year. Considering people expected the Isles to be in the Hughes hunt, this is Trotz.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think any of the following deserve it this year.

Trotz
Cooper
Berube
Cassidy

Would have no problem if it was a 4 way tie.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Would be pretty shocked if Trotz doesn't win and the runners up aren't Peters and Cooper in some order.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Jack Adams Award is, in my mind, the Kiss of Death Award.

A number of coaches lost their job/quit within 2-3 seasons of winning it.

Bob Hartley (1 season)
Patrick Roy (2 seasons)
Paul MacLean (1 season + 27 games)
Dan Bylsma (3 seasons)
Bruce Boudreau (I'm cheating: 3 seasons + 22 games)
John Tortorella (3 seasons)
Bobby Francis (less than 2 seasons)
Bill Barber (1 season)
Pat Burns (Bruins: 2 seasons + 8 games, Leafs: less than 3 seasons, Montréal: 3 seasons)
Ted Nolan (immediately)
Marc Crawford (3 seasons)
Pat Quinn (Canucks: 2 seasons + 6 games, Flyers: less than 2 seasons)
Brian Sutter (1 season)
Bob Murdoch (1 season)
Jacques Demers (2 seasons)
Mike Keenan (3 seasons)
Orval Tessier (less than 2 seasons)
Tom Watt (less than 2 seasons)
Red Berenson (less than 1 season)
Bobby Kromm (less than 2 seasons)
Don Cherry (3 seasons)
Bob Pulford (2 seasons)

That's a Murderer's Row !

Mind you, a few might have left for greener pastures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->