Speculation: Who wins the division?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Well thats just mean. I didnt bother to read the rest. :P

Seriously though, interesting breakdown. Good detail.

Damn my quick writing! Whatever, corpse sounds a lot funnier anyhow. On the bright side, I did just come up with a good future GDT idea...

Reactions: Rooh

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Wild: I don't see it.
Stars: All offense no D
Preds: good Overall Team, only injuries will hold them back
Jets: still lack that winning factor. Maybe Laine can step it up to that Level. Goaltending still a question
Avs: yeah right...
Blues: good Team but it Looks like they've just not taken that next step and got older. They could if Fabbri takes the next step and they trade for a legit Top6 Center.

I think it'll be the Preds with a Close battle between 5 Teams and the Stars only a few Ws behind. Avs look destined for another Top5 Pick with this division

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wild: I don't see it.
Stars: All offense no D
Preds: good Overall Team, only injuries will hold them back
Jets: still lack that winning factor. Maybe Laine can step it up to that Level. Goaltending still a question
Avs: yeah right...
Blues: good Team but it Looks like they've just not taken that next step and got older. They could if Fabbri takes the next step and they trade for a legit Top6 Center.

I think it'll be the Preds with a Close battle between 5 Teams and the Stars only a few Ws behind. Avs look destined for another Top5 Pick with this division

So where are the Hawks, then? 3rd?

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville
Too much Predators love in this thread. I get it, they made the Cup finals and beat us to do it, but they downgraded a few positions this year. Rinne is a year older and I just don't see the D corp holding up as well without Ellis, at least not enough to win the division.

I think the Stars step up with the changes. Hawks second. Wild 3rd.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Given the injuries they've sustained, particularly Fabbri (on a team that lacked elite talent at center to begin with) I'm dropping the Blues down my rankings. I think they'll be fighting for a Wild Card with a decent chance to miss.

Who leap frogs them? Don't know.

Still not high on the Blackhawks D, but their young talent is showing well thus far (even if the pre-season really doesn't mean too much).

The Wild are solid throughout their lineup but lack gamebreakers.... but Boudreau is arguably the best regular season coach in the business, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them up in the standings too.

Jets.... if they could just stop taking stupid penalties and get a save, I'd be super high on them.

I think Nashville and Dallas as the class of the division, from there, I think everybody has pretty massive question marks.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yep, on paper Preds/Stars should be on top. Hawks look pretty ordinary in comparison. Third place would be damn good with all the question marks.

Now if Q would let the team play offense, the sky could be the limit and they'd never be completely out of a game. ... a la 2009/2010. ... but I'm dreaming again.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Too much Predators love in this thread. I get it, they made the Cup finals and beat us to do it, but they downgraded a few positions this year. Rinne is a year older and I just don't see the D corp holding up as well without Ellis, at least not enough to win the division.

I think the Stars step up with the changes. Hawks second. Wild 3rd.
They have a good Young core. They've lost Fisher and Neal, Ellis is out a bit but will return. You say Rinne will be older, I say Saros will have more experience. Arvidsson will only get better as will Jarnkrok and Fiala.
With Fabbri out, it'll be between the Hawks and Preds. Maybe add a 3rd Team that is surprising

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I would not under-estimate the Preds. They lost only a small fraction of what we lost. We lost Hoss, Hammer, Darls, Krugs, Soupy, Panarin and TVR --- no team in the league lost nearly that much --- including the Preds. And, as you say some of the Preds are a year older and will be incrementally less than they were last year. this is also true of Toews, of Duncs and Seabs...

The Hawks are quite diminished. Now, I am encouraged by some of the youth and replacements. I like Saad. Forsberg looks good. DCat looks like a player. Schmaltz looks day vs. night better. But, on paper, there is no objective way to place the Hawks at the Preds level. Nashville & Minnesota should be clear favorites in the division. the Hawks, the Blues, the Stars are all toss ups relative to each other. It will be a battle to make the playoffs. Once in, anything can happen. But lets be real and recognize that the loss of all the talent we lost is significant. Again... no Panarin, Hossa, Hammer, Kruger, Darling, Cambell... that is huge --- no team lost even close to that much.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would not under-estimate the Preds. They lost only a small fraction of what we lost. We lost Hoss, Hammer, Darls, Krugs, Soupy, Panarin and TVR --- no team in the league lost nearly that much --- including the Preds. And, as you say some of the Preds are a year older and will be incrementally less than they were last year. this is also true of Toews, of Duncs and Seabs...

The Hawks are quite diminished. Now, I am encouraged by some of the youth and replacements. I like Saad. Forsberg looks good. DCat looks like a player. Schmaltz looks day vs. night better. But, on paper, there is no objective way to place the Hawks at the Preds level. Nashville & Minnesota should be clear favorites in the division. the Hawks, the Blues, the Stars are all toss ups relative to each other. It will be a battle to make the playoffs. Once in, anything can happen. But lets be real and recognize that the loss of all the talent we lost is significant. Again... no Panarin, Hossa, Hammer, Kruger, Darling, Cambell... that is huge --- no team lost even close to that much.

The losses aren't as hard to take when you have guys replacing those we lost with similar performance. And I expect most of them will see someone step in and do a damn fine job of replacing them.

Panarin - DeBrincat
Hossa - Saad
Hammer - This is likely the hardest one to nail down, but any one of Murphy, Kempny, or Rutta could be an adequate replacement, IMO. (Obviously none are at Hammer's level yet, but the upside is there)
Kruger - Dauphin(I've liked his game every time I see him play)
Darling - Forsberg
Campbell... really? He's not really in the same league as the rest of the losses.

I don't think this team will struggle as much as a few here seem to believe. I think they're much better than many people, including fans of other teams, are giving them credit for. This team is probably going to be top 3 in the NHL in offensive production. If their D is even middle of the pack, then they're likely winning the division, and I highly doubt they struggle just to get into the playoffs.

Reactions: Rooh

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Jul 4, 2017
The losses aren't as hard to take when you have guys replacing those we lost with similar performance. And I expect most of them will see someone step in and do a damn fine job of replacing them.

Panarin - DeBrincat
Hossa - Saad
Hammer - This is likely the hardest one to nail down, but any one of Murphy, Kempny, or Rutta could be an adequate replacement, IMO. (Obviously none are at Hammer's level yet, but the upside is there)
Kruger - Dauphin(I've liked his game every time I see him play)
Darling - Forsberg
Campbell... really? He's not really in the same league as the rest of the losses.

I don't think this team will struggle as much as a few here seem to believe. I think they're much better than many people, including fans of other teams, are giving them credit for. This team is probably going to be top 3 in the NHL in offensive production. If their D is even middle of the pack, then they're likely winning the division, and I highly doubt they struggle just to get into the playoffs.
I'd say Schmaltz improvement might potentially just replace Panarin and DeBrincat is just to add to that. 100% agree with the last part.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I certainly hope you are correct. And true, Cambell's loss is not the same as the others --- but Soupy is at least as good as any of Ruuta, Murphy, or name the D man trying to step in and help. Our D is in a bad way.

But, again, we have someone coming in with Hoss's money soon --- who that will be I cannot know... but hopefully it will help a great deal.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I certainly hope you are correct. And true, Cambell's loss is not the same as the others --- but Soupy is at least as good as any of Ruuta, Murphy, or name the D man trying to step in and help. Our D is in a bad way.

But, again, we have someone coming in with Hoss's money soon --- who that will be I cannot know... but hopefully it will help a great deal.

I also think the D settles in fine, also, once they get setup into their standard pairings for extended periods of time. It takes a bit to build chemistry with your D partner.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Soupy is better than Rutta but not Murphy.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I sure hope you are correct. If this happens, it would be most remarkable an achievement --- to lose Hossa, Panarin, Darls, Kruger, Hammer, Soupy and TVR --- and STILL win the division would be amazing. To lose the most of any team in the NHL and still come back and win a tough division that has 4 other playoff-caliber teams would be a stunning achievement. Possible, to be sure. Unlikely to be certain. If the Hawks do this, build a statue of Q and Bowman now --- for their ability to maintain a competitive team - a highly competitive team --- in the cap era is great.

Could happen. But again... unlikely. Lets hope they make the playoffs and peak at the right time and go places come playoff time.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
In a way, besides flat out missing his presence, I guess I haven't fully realized yet what we're going to be missing with Hossa out. Losing Hammer sucks hard too. I'm not saying by and stretch that Hawks are going to be better, just different.....very different. I do believe this season is going to be filled with some nice surprises though. The Kids met and surpassed even, some expectations this past year, maybe play with a bigger chip on their shoulder cause of the playoffs.

The skill and depth is there, just hope it gels when crunch time comes around.

Oh...plus Brandon mutha**** Saad is back, so that's pretty cool too. He's a better hockey player than Panarin right now, and probably always will be.

Hope Q is a little more consistent with his lines this year, line juggling works a lot better when you have experienced vets, not so much the youngsters.

Need the Captain to return to some rare form, that will help.

So, yeah, if all this goes right, I'm pretty optimistic about our chances.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Given the injuries they've sustained, particularly Fabbri (on a team that lacked elite talent at center to begin with) I'm dropping the Blues down my rankings. I think they'll be fighting for a Wild Card with a decent chance to miss.

Who leap frogs them? Don't know.

Still not high on the Blackhawks D, but their young talent is showing well thus far (even if the pre-season really doesn't mean too much).

The Wild are solid throughout their lineup but lack gamebreakers.... but Boudreau is arguably the best regular season coach in the business, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them up in the standings too.

Jets.... if they could just stop taking stupid penalties and get a save, I'd be super high on them.

I think Nashville and Dallas as the class of the division, from there, I think everybody has pretty massive question marks.

Ok, I may have over-estimated the impact of the Blues injuries a tad.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Granted they are playing the Oil tonight but the Blues play much better structure than Hawks, I think they finish above Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad