OT: Who wins the 2nd major league championship in Arizona sports history?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Diamondbacks became the 1st team in Arizona to win a major league title. Take a guess at who'll be the next team to win it. This may take some time to accomplish given the the history of sports here.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think it's most likely to be the Cardinals and least likely to be the Suns. If the Coyotes' rebuild goes well we could have an open window in perhaps 5 years' time. The Cardinals are trying pretty hard and have a good team (I think the problem child right now is the aging Carson Palmer though). I don't really pay attention to the Diamondbacks so I can't really comment, but the Suns have a ****** owner and I don't see them doing well any time soon.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Cardinals - In the NFL you only need to be a pretty good team that gets hot at the right time. Once they retire Palmer, and if they can strike gold on a replacement, they could be there any year.

Suns - Sarver doesn't seem to be interested in playing the owners game that wins championships. He has his team, and wants his new stadium, and if they win then cool, but if they lose then whatever.

Coyotes - It will be hard. SC is the hardest championship to win. A franchise can be a perennial power, with the best players in the world and still never win (St. Louis, Vancouver, San Jose, Washington) and the Coyotes are long way from being a perennial power. If they can get out of Glendale, get some success and a stronger fan base, they might be able to start attracting UFA's that people outside of the HF Boards have actually heard of. If all that happens, then they have the hardest path of all the sports.

Dbacks - Who frickin knows. Every time they look like they are starting to get it together they implode.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I dislike all of the other teams. I hope all of them relocate out of state ASAP and leave the Coyotes as the only local major league professional sports team in the state. They're just competition for the only game worth watching. Go Coyotes. Screw the rest.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I voted the Cardinals. I wish it was the coyotes but the NFL doesn't have 7 game series (that would be brutal) . It takes less wins to get to the superbowl and the draft is meant to improve teams in the short term, rather than the long term like the nhl

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Went with the Coyotes. The Dbacks are the closest right now, but I just don't see them winning it all. The NBA lacks parity, it's the same few teams every season. If you don't have one of the top 5 players in the league with a good supporting cast you aren't winning. I don't see the Cardinals winning the NFC or even the NFC West for awhile. I don't think Palmer is good enough to lead a team to a SB, and I don't think the rest of the team is good enough to carry him. It's also really tough to find a new stud QB.

I think the Coyotes have a very good core going forward, they won't be contending for a cup for a few years but I think there's a clear direction that the team is heading.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, I don't follow other sports than hockey, but I have a feeling none of the major pro teams will compete or win for at least 5 years. Admittedly, I went with the Suns because I can't see the Cardinals being lucky enough to get to the Superbowl for a while (NFL is more luck than skill, although skill can help)

I don't follow baseball, so I don't really care and can't provide any insight on it.

In terms of Basketball, as mentioned, it's all about getting the right 1-2 stars on the team, which could happen despite the current owner. For example, I could see the Suns' ownership bringing in a few star players once (if) their new arena is built to make a splash. It's much easier (in b-ball) to add 1-2 significantly skilled players to the roster as opposed to any of the other sports (excluding QB in football, I suppose).

I'm not sure the Coyotes will come close to the SC finals in the next 5 years. We just have a loooong way to go on a limited budget with the ever-present danger of relocation (which I guess would eliminate them from this poll--if sold to another owner/location).

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
The thing about the Suns is that they are just so young. Booker looks to be heading towards stardom, if Chriss and Bender develop that'd be huge, and Josh Jackson has the potential to be a star as well. They've got a bright future

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Nobody in the NBA's western conference has a chance until the Warriors core retires, so the Suns are out for the next 8 years.

The Cardinals need a QB and a couple receivers. And their defense needs to stay healthy. Once that happens, as long as Johnson is still in town they'll be golden. But that's a lot of ifs. QBs and WRs don't grow on trees.

The Dbacks can go either way. I have faith in them this season, but we can never beat the Dodgers. Ever. **** LA. But they have a good squad. Need one more big bat in their lineup, and possible a relief pitcher and they're in business. The problem with baseball is that 5 teams make the playoffs, and 1 team is gone after a single game. The margin for error is small, and the "get hot at the right time" thing doesn't work.

The Coyotes are just unknown. You could tell me that the Coyotes would win the cup in 2022, or be the worst team in the league and I would believe you.

All things considered, if I had to bet my life on it, I would say the Dbacks. Their window is now. The Coyotes window starts in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->