Who wins cup first. Oilers. Flames. Canucks.

Who wins cup first. Oilers. Flames. Canucks.

• Total voters

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'll actually say the Flames. They don't have much of a window at all. Gio and Smith are nearing their ends. Without Gio, all of a sudden that blueline looks a little shaky. Lindholm will probably regress, Backlund and Frolik aren't getting younger. Aside from Valimaki, and perhaps Dube and Kylington, there's not much in the pipeline. I think they go for bank this off-season, throw crazy money at Stone, off-load Brodie for a top sixer, get into a cap crunch and make a desperation run.
Aside from them, the Canucks are in a much better place organizationally speaking to hoist.
Then there's the Oilers. I mean, I'm optimistic we'll see McDavid win a cup with us, but, probably not for a few years yet.
You said the flames but then preceded to explain why it won’t be the flames.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Flames have a very small window.. once Giordano is done they're done until they find a replacement. No one comes close on their blueline and Valimaki definitely does not project to be a #1. That's not even considering the question marks with the core group up front and nothing in net. The team with McDavid and Draisaitl has the best chance to win a cup.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If the oilers make the playoffs and mcdavid and Drai go on a streak they'd be really tough to stop. The key is making the playoffs, seed doesn't matter .

This is the right answer. Calgary is deep but had no answer when facing the top players from Colorado.

More often than not, the best players will give you the best chance in the playoffs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He was 180. I'm sure Quinn will be that also by next year

20 lbs lighter. He has lots of time to put that on in the coming years

Realistically he's about 5'8, 160lbs. He looks like Johnny Hockey on defence. He will be an elite point producer but will get shut down when they play physical teams in the playoffs.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I have faith in our big guns if we get into the dance. Getting there is the issue. Can't wait to see what happens this offseason.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I'm gonna guess I'll be dead and buried before any of them win a cup.

This.

Let's look at the brutal numbers. 32 teams once Seattle joins means on average teams will win once every three decades. Calgary and Vancouver with one and nil Cups respectively are slightly below average. The Oil are well above obviously but with a 29 year drought they are only... right on schedule, since the last one.

I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about whether sports fans will keep buying in to North American major leagues where your odds of seeing a championship as a fan dwindle as the number of teams rises... maybe the only solution is a relegation/ promotion system like the Premier League.

But I dont mean to derail the thread. I voted Vancouver to jinx them but the Oil should do it. Connor is too good to be held Cupless forever.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I say Oilers. We have McDavid and Draisaitl. With that as a base, we don't really even need a true #1D to win the cup. We just need some passable players to fill the gaps in the lineup. If we did that, and then maybe added a great rental at the deadline, we'd be a top contender pretty quickly.
Not so sure about that one dude.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Voted us of course but if we don't within the next few years then it's the Canucks. Good drafting and development and they'll be back on top of the west soon, unfortunately.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think the difference is in high end talent. Mcdavid and Drai is a better two then any other team can produce. With good management, which seems impossible, Oilers can win. Every player beside Chiasson which we brought in was dreadful. I think our defense and goaltending is average. The big thing is that after you make playoffs regular season means nothing. Goaltending is about the same among everyone. Until any team fixes that the top end talent sways the vote

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Why isn’t this just including all Canadian teams, since they’re all eliminated? Or are we afraid Winnipeg or Toronto run away with it? Seems like they may both struggle to get over the hump from pretender to contender.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why isn’t this just including all Canadian teams, since they’re all eliminated? Or are we afraid Winnipeg or Toronto run away with it? Seems like they may both struggle to get over the hump from pretender to contender.

Well, smart money would be on the Peg.

Montreal has a window next season if they can snag an elite #1C (Weber will be 34 next season, and is both injury prone, and declining).

This year was Toronto's best shot.
They're in cap-hell now. Marner will make over $11million, and they're going to have to run 3x $11million forwards with very questionable Defense.
Tavares won't be getting better year after year, and he's still going to cost $11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->