Who will win Vezina?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hellebuyck is in the conversation but might be a better candidate for Hart. I'm not sure the Jets win 10 games without him.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Fleury for me. He could have easily had a down year after Vegas brought in Lehner, instead he took his game to another level, and at 36yrs old.
Very impressive season and deserves the Vezina.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Biased, it should be Mike Smith, but he won't even clinch a finalist spot. Fleury will rightfully win it, and Vas will get another nomination because of status (ie Bergeron for Selke), which taints those awards imo.

The voting committee should be alot larger than it is. An exclusive group of journalists and media reporters, usually consisting of 144 ppl, but only 100 this season, most who have zero experience as a player, coach, scout, etc; is such a weak method in determining the best choice for each category taking into consideration all the details, regardless of status or hype.
They need former players, coaches, management, and/or people who have extensive experience within the game, first hand. Instead, a bunch of pompous, clueless 'journalists' will decide the fate of each prestigious trophy

GMs vote for the Vezina

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Biased, it should be Mike Smith, but he won't even clinch a finalist spot. Fleury will rightfully win it, and Vas will get another nomination because of status (ie Bergeron for Selke), which taints those awards imo.

The voting committee should be alot larger than it is. An exclusive group of journalists and media reporters, usually consisting of 144 ppl, but only 100 this season, most who have zero experience as a player, coach, scout, etc; is such a weak method in determining the best choice for each category taking into consideration all the details, regardless of status or hype.
They need former players, coaches, management, and/or people who have extensive experience within the game, first hand. Instead, a bunch of pompous, clueless 'journalists' will decide the fate of each prestigious trophy

Aside from the fact GMs vote for the Vezina, I agree that hockey writers should not be the ones voting for trophys. This is why the Lindsay is infinitely more meaningful than the Hart. Most hockey writers have their heads up their ass half the time....

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Helle is great but this ain’t his year. I will be disappointed if Fleury doesn’t win it. Mostly because it will be held against him for entering the hall of fame.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Fleury getting a vezina would give him a compelling case for the HoF.

3rd all time in wins. 3x SC champion. 1 vezina.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
My heart and head say Grubauer, my gut says they go with Vasi due to being about as good and being on the east coast, or Fleury due to lifetime achievement as well as roughly comparable stats.

Grub: 30 wins in 39 starts (76.9%), leads the league in shutouts and 2nd in GAA (1.95). Respectable SV% (92.2%, 9th).
Vasi: league leading 31 wins in 42 starts (73.8%), 4th in shutouts, respectable GAA (2.21) and good SV% (92.5%).
Fleury: 26 wins in 36 starts for 3rd most (72.2%), 2nd in shutouts, 3rd in both GAA and SV% (1.98, 92.8%)

Fleury is hurt a bit by how well the other goalies did for VGK...2.40GAA and 91.0% SV%, compared to 2.72GAA and 88.4% SV% for Colorado; and 3.00GAA and 87.5% SV% for Tampa.

There are others in the convo as well, but these are the three that stick out to me.
Do the other teams have a Lehner calibre backup goalie?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Hellebuyck is solid. Shout out to Greiss too. His save percentage really undercuts how much of a help he was to an otherwise disastrous Red Wings team.
Greiss was absolute garbage the first half of the year, not just suffering from the defense. Bernier was far outplaying him and actually had a winning record for awhile early in the year while greiss started 2-14-4.

To his credit though, after what looked like it was the start of a decline, greiss really turned his game around the last 2.5 months to show he's not done and bring his numbers back up to respectability as he had a .942 sv% in April and .965 sv% in May going 6-1-4 to finish strong and bring his sv% back up to a respectable .912 after a disastrous start to his season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think anyone could reasonably say that Hellebuyck was better than Smith this season.

I hope flower gets it. It would cement his status as first ballot HHOF.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

Not to say you’re wrong that we need more informed decision-makers, but the Vezina is chosen by GM’s....

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't think anyone could reasonably say that Hellebuyck was better than Smith this season.

I hope flower gets it. It would cement his status as first ballot HHOF.

You can reasonably say they were close to equal with Hellebuyck playing 13 more games.

Smith should be in the top 5 but probably won't because of the voters.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I assume the age thing “wow fluery is having his best season age 50” will swing the award his way.

wait who votes for vezina

Edit: probably still Vasi then if GMs vote Any time I read an article poll of GMs best players at any position, it’s always exactly who you’d assume

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad