Who will win Vezina?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
So did Niedermayer. I've never heard anyone question that Norris. His Conn Smythe maybe

Ah, no, you are right! I got the trophies mixed up. That one was the one that felt like a life time achievement award to me. He did deserve his Norris. I was mistaken.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Not enough mention of Saros here. Just look up at kind of stats post March 15, and imagine if the season were longer. In any case, my vote is Fleury.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For me its between Fleury and Saros, I'd go Fleury because a lot of times these awards are more of a lifetime achievement type thing.

Reactions: Cape

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Really could go to anyone of Varlamov, Fleury, Saros, Vasilevskiy, Smith or Grubauer and it wouldn't be a bad pick. I think Fleury will win it because it's his turn. The media loves him too. Winning it would get him in the HOF without it being a questionable selection. The stars just seem aligned for Fleury.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What is the argument for Vasilevsky over the other top goaltenders?

Varlamov, Fleury, Smith, Grubauer, and Saros all had great seasons for their respective teams. I would probably have Vasilevsky at #6 and there are other goaltenders that would be contending with him at that position.
Check Tampa’s backup numbers. Here’s your answer.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Grubauer will get it. He's got the wins, the SOs, the GAA. He only lags a little in Sav%, but he's still .922. 30-9-1 looks really slick.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Quite confident Vasilevskiy will win easily. Has the traditional stats, the advanced stats, the wins, the rep, and the narrative of being relied on more with all the injuries to the offense. Everything GMs love for this vote. I'll be shocked if he doesn't win it handily.
Fleury has better stats and everything else plus a shitty team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Vezina is very much stat-based award. Most voters don't watch all these goalies on a night to night basis or care enough to micro analyze differences in environments.

And yes, wins do matter a lot as always.

Vasilevskiy - 42GP / 31W / 92.5% / 2.21 GAA / 5 SO

Grubauer - 40GP / 30W / 92.2% / 1.95 GAA / 7 SO

Fleury - 36GP / 26W / 92.8% / 1.98 GAA / 6 SO

Saros - 36GP / 21W / 92.7% / 2.28 GAA / 3 SO

Varlamov - 36GP / 19W / 92.9% / 2.04 GAA / 7 SO

Your 3 finalists will be picked from these 5 goalies.

Vasi, Grubauer and Fleury are the 3 winniest goalies of the season while also sporting very strong individual stats. Those 3 could just be your finalists.

Saros' chance is voters seeing him as the biggest reason for his teams success, but like i mentioned before, stats (=wins included) are always #1 so i doubt it'll be enough.

Varly's numbers are great, but he's trailing too much on wins i think for voters to put him in there.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
My heart and head say Grubauer, my gut says they go with Vasi due to being about as good and being on the east coast, or Fleury due to lifetime achievement as well as roughly comparable stats.

Grub: 30 wins in 39 starts (76.9%), leads the league in shutouts and 2nd in GAA (1.95). Respectable SV% (92.2%, 9th).
Vasi: league leading 31 wins in 42 starts (73.8%), 4th in shutouts, respectable GAA (2.21) and good SV% (92.5%).
Fleury: 26 wins in 36 starts for 3rd most (72.2%), 2nd in shutouts, 3rd in both GAA and SV% (1.98, 92.8%)

Fleury is hurt a bit by how well the other goalies did for VGK...2.40GAA and 91.0% SV%, compared to 2.72GAA and 88.4% SV% for Colorado; and 3.00GAA and 87.5% SV% for Tampa.

There are others in the convo as well, but these are the three that stick out to me.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Biased, it should be Mike Smith, but he won't even clinch a finalist spot. Fleury will rightfully win it, and Vas will get another nomination because of status (ie Bergeron for Selke), which taints those awards imo.

The voting committee should be alot larger than it is. An exclusive group of journalists and media reporters, usually consisting of 144 ppl, but only 100 this season, most who have zero experience as a player, coach, scout, etc; is such a weak method in determining the best choice for each category taking into consideration all the details, regardless of status or hype.
They need former players, coaches, management, and/or people who have extensive experience within the game, first hand. Instead, a bunch of pompous, clueless 'journalists' will decide the fate of each prestigious trophy

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Vasi + Flower killed it for my keeper league this year. Perfect 1-2 combo till Lehner can back.

I don’t think Vasi is head and heels above a few guys like Flower, Grubs, or even Smith. But based on there performance + statistics, Vasi is the winner.

The argument should clearly be — who outperformed Vasi this year...?

.... Nobody

He had the best raw statistics out of everyone. Picking Vasi is no Insult to the other candidates. But it’s closer than it looks on paper. This is a great Vezina run this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgreeen

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
My heart and head say Grubauer, my gut says they go with Vasi due to being about as good and being on the east coast, or Fleury due to lifetime achievement as well as roughly comparable stats.

Grub: 30 wins in 39 starts (76.9%), leads the league in shutouts and 2nd in GAA (1.95). Respectable SV% (92.2%, 9th).
Vasi: league leading 31 wins in 42 starts (73.8%), 4th in shutouts, respectable GAA (2.21) and good SV% (92.5%).
Fleury: 26 wins in 36 starts for 3rd most (72.2%), 2nd in shutouts, 3rd in both GAA and SV% (1.98, 92.8%)

Fleury is hurt a bit by how well the other goalies did for VGK...2.40GAA and 91.0% SV%, compared to 2.72GAA and 88.4% SV% for Colorado; and 3.00GAA and 87.5% SV% for Tampa.

There are others in the convo as well, but these are the three that stick out to me.
Grub was an absolute animal this year. The guys stat-watching won’t pay him any piece of mind with the Vezina, but his performances this year were stupid good.

The Vezina trophy neglects key advanced statistics. SV%, W, GAA doesn’t tell the whole story. Look at at Lundqvist compared the his peers in all significant goalie metrics. How he won just 1 Vezina is asinine. But, understandable too considering the voters only look at certain stats instead of taking the time to delve into key aspects of the position.

Vasi, MAF, Grubs and even Smith all deserve serious consideration imo.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Has to be Grubauer. Best GAA, T-2 in wins, T-1 in SO's. His game against Vegas had to be the clinching effort.
media%2FEussOP2XMAcDpQ2.jpg

That look alone has to be worth a few extra votes.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hoping it's Fleury for the sake of argument. Vasilevskiy already has one and Fleury has been waiting his whole career for just one. Plus I find Fleury played so much better this season.

Notice how I didn't say Hellebuyck?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad