Who will win the Calder in 17-18?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nolan Patrick. He will be put in the best position to succeed with the Flyers and will be surrounded by talent. If he works his way onto the PP unit he will get a lot of points.

I think Lindblom has a better chance than Patrick, because as a left hand shot he's the natural replacement for Schenn on PP1. Playing with Giroux, Simmonds, Ghost and Voracek with the man advantage would be a big bonus for any rookie's point totals.

But I voted for Keller.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Chabot with McAvoy and Keller close.

Defenseman rarely rarely win the Calder.

Myers and Ekblad are the only ones in the last 13 seasons

Only 3 players in the last 20 seasons going back to Bryan Berard.

While I'll agree that this year's forward rookie crop is weak, I have a very hard time seeing Chabot or McAvoy finishing top 3, let alone winning...

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Defenseman rarely rarely win the Calder.

Myers and Ekblad are the only ones in the last 13 seasons

Only 3 players in the last 20 seasons going back to Bryan Berard.

While I'll agree that this year's forward rookie crop is weak, I have a very hard time seeing Chabot or McAvoy finishing top 3, let alone winning...

I am a big believer in Chabot, as much as I hate the Sens.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
I think Pierre-Luc Dubois will surprise some people with a nice debut.

Projecting something around 16G 24A for 40 points and a top 5 finish for Calder.

Not sure how he is left off and a player like Milano is included.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As long as Patrick plays 72 games (aka isn't hit with the injury bug) I think he'll win it. I think he'll end up with prime PP time, maybe even on the top unit, and put up 55+ points (I don't expect a rookie to score more than that many this season, to be honest).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If Patrick is healthy, I'd be hard-pressed to take anyone but him.

Like mentioned before: He'll be in a really good position to succeed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How is he not eligible? He played under 41 games it isn't 25 games anymore.

Where did this come from? Haven't heard a word about anything like this

The great wikipedia still says 25 games.

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 regular season games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six regular season games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York
The great wikipedia still says 25 games.

Hockey News still had him as a prospect. Mike Hoffman was a rookie back in the 2014/2015 season he played over 25 games before that. I have seen other players defy the ruling as well. Maybe it is back to 25 but I have seen others play over 25 and still be considered a "rookie."

The NHL website has him listed no.1 as the Oilers best prospect.
The Hockey Writer's have labeled him as the Oilers best prospect as well.

Last edited:

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Hockey News still had him as a prospect. Mike Hoffman was a rookie back in the 2014/2015 season he played over 25 games before that. I have seen other players defy the ruling as well. Maybe it is back to 25 but I have seen others play over 25 and still be considered a "rookie."

If I understand correctly, it's more than 25 in a single season or more than 6 in each of two prior seasons.

Using your example, Hoffman played 25 in 2013/14, 3 the year before that and 1 the year before that. He was still eligible according to that criteria.

Puljujarvi played 28 last year.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24931

Read the rules there, also explains the hoffman situation. NHL's rookie definition and the general prospect definition are usually different, resulting in some prospects being ineligible for Calder

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I voted Keller as I think he crushes it this year..

But definitely needed to add Alex DeBrincat to this list - kid is going to play in Chicago this year and likely with Kane - 40 plus points from him is very attainable

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
If Kyle Connor plays with Little and Wheeler like many Jets fans predict (myself included), then he will have a great chance to put up pretty big numbers. Homer vote for him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I flipped a coin between Keller and Chabot. The latter won. If they play well they're both get tons of minutes this year.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Expecting Chabot to break out big time. Keller is the safe choice but as a winger of the young Coyotes team (who I'm not expecting to make the playoffs) I don't like his chances to make as much of an impact this year as Chabot. McAvoy and Connor are other strong candidates for me.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If Kyle Connor plays with Little and Wheeler like many Jets fans predict (myself included), then he will have a great chance to put up pretty big numbers. Homer vote for him.

His 70+ games pro experience and 20 games NHL experience will be a definite boost to his chances

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nowhere near the class of rookies last year, but hopefully we get a good race out of this.

Hischier or Patrick are safe bets.

It will be an exciting one to say the least - last year, Matthews and Laine were so goddamn far ahead the rest of the pack (even Werenski, yes) that it wasn't even funny after the game 30 mark or something.

I went with McAvoy. The reasoning: as for Boston's defense corps, he will have enough guys to work with (Krug, Chara, Carlo etc.) that he won't be put in a situation in which he has to handle a bigger workload than he should, but he should also be able to shine behind the others. Then you have Rask, a top 10 goalie who you can always rely on to cover some of Charlie's rookie mistakes (for more recent information about goalies making a stud rookie defenseman look better, see: Bobrovsky, Sergei). And it's not like Boston's forward group is anything to scoff at either. I honestly can't think of a better situation to be in for him in this league. Oh, and there's one thing I haven't mentioned earlier: McAvoy is quite ****ing amazing in his own right.

Other candidates:

Kyle Connor - there is a very good chance that he gets to play with a terrific set of linemates in Scheifele/Little and Wheeler, which would allow him to score a ton of goals, which is key in Calder voting. Then again, will he survive the grinder that is Paul Maurice's awful rookie deployment tactic (= in order to qualify for the top 6, you must drag an anchor and an anvil for half a year and look good while doing so)?

Clayton Keller - all I've ever seen from the guy is just pure magic on the ice. The talent he has could easily allow him to be the difference maker Arizona desperately needs. The downside to his situation is that Arizona is a team who can offer a lot of support for him.

Nolan Patrick - he's getting plugged into a lineup on the upswing and chances are that he'll play in a sheltered role behind Giroux and Couturier - sounds like a great place to be, doesn't it? Well... I think he'll be in the top 5 in Calder voting at the very least, but will he stay healthy? That's the main question now, and Flyers fans should get used to it, since that's what most would think as the main reason for him failing to reach his expectations.

Thomas Chabot - if the guy is paired with Karlsson, he's in the discussion for the Calder. The problem is, playing with him comes with people being skeptical of Chabot being a product of Karlsson, even if stats would suggest otherwise (for an example, see: Laine, Patrik with Scheifele, Mark). I'll say this though - if Chabot is left with any non-Karlsson Senator for a prolonged amount of time, I just don't see him shining brightly enough to win.

Alex DeBrincat: you can't even be sure about him sticking with the Hawks. Then again, that's what I said about Marner last year. The guy has just as high a ceiling as any rookie in this class, and given a role in which he can show off his best attributes, he can be on the brinc of becoming a star as soon as next year. What's more likely is that he is not, and as a fan of another team in the Central, I bloody hope that he busts for the sake of my well-being.

Josh Ho-Sang: If Chabot with Karlsson could be a lethal combo in regards to this topic, so could JHS with Tavares. The reasoning is pretty much the same for both rookies too.

Nico Hirschier: he might end up being up there with the best of this class, but I fear that the Devils won't be in a good enough shape for Nico to compete against McAvoy and Connor here.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Going with my boy Honka. Should be getting top four minutes and power play time right from the start. He will likely be paired with Hamhuis giving him more time to move the puck and take risks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad