Who will win a Norris Trophy moving forward? Old and Young Defensemen

Who will win a Norris Trophy moving forward? (ignore past wins)

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I was looking through his stats. He was on pace for over 40 points and that's in Dallas' defense first system.

He also wasn't consistently on the top PP unit. Only 7 of his point were on the PP. He'll probably be the main guy eventually which will help his totals as well.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Voted Hedman, Jones, Heiskanen, Dahlin and Makar. I think Jones is overrated but he has an elite reputation and if he has a high scoring year with the Jackets doing well, I could see him getting a lot of "due" votes. I'm on the fence about Hughes, but I think he might always have too many people questioning his size and defense so he'd need to have a large lead in the points race, which seems difficult with Makar and Dahlin around.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar and Hughes might fluke one due to offensive numbers but Heiskanen will be the cream of that crop of young guys
Heiskanen will never produce enough to win a Norrris. He hasn't proven he can produce offense the way Makar and Hughes can. The playoffs were an outlier where he picked up a lot of secondary points due to the way Dallas plays. Watch the games and you'll see most of his points come from deflections and rebound goals.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Heiskanen will never produce enough to win a Norrris. He hasn't proven he can produce offense the way Makar and Hughes can. The playoffs were an outlier where he picked up a lot of secondary points due to the way Dallas plays. Watch the games and you'll see most of his points come from deflections and rebound goals.

The majority of defensemen get their points that way. Most voters don't care. He was on pace for 34 ES points this year on a defensive team. If he gets enough PP time to have even 15- 20 PP points, he can be a 50-55 point all situations defenseman, which could be enough to win. Doughty won with 25 ES points and 51 total points when Karlsson had 82 the same season. Chara won with 50 points when Mike Green had 31 goals and 73 points. Shea Weber was runner up in one of the closest votes of all time when he had 48 points and Lidstrom had 62 then lost by another insanely close vote the following year with 49 points despite Karlsson having 78. He might end up with a career that more mimics Suter or Pietrangelo, but it's certainly possible for a defenseman to win the Norris with 50ish points if he's known as one of the best in the game defensively, which I can see Heiskanen becoming.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I always love to hear "neutral" fans rag on Karlsson, while Sharks (and Sens) fans have nothing but good to say about the guy. When healthy on the Sharks, Karlsson has performed like the best d-man in the world. It's a small sample size, but even injured Karlsson is still outstanding.

The healthy Karlsson of the past dictated the game more than any other player active in this era, but after several injuries, surgeries and other personal "set-backs", he isno longer close to that level.

I compare him to his best years, and through that comparison, he hasn't been even close the last 2-3 years.

Healthy, with motivation and a decent supporting cast, I bet he can still dominate, but not at the level he used to.

Not sure how anyone can claim otherwise. :)

And was a long time fan of Ottawa, who finally had enough of how badly the owners and managers handled the franchise, so I "left" the fan base 2 years ago.

I watched a good chunk of Karlsson's prime years, probably 50-70 games per season - so I do know what I'm talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad