Who will score the first goal in Seattle history?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The first game is gonna be against Vancouver.

So, obviously, the first goal will be scored by Vancouver's favourite NHL player of all time, Brad Marchand

jssnt5Gi_400x400.jpg

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'm going with Tyler as well considering he will more than likely be available and selected in the expansion draft, and barring any major trades he'll be on the first line.
I had Seattle taking Tyler Johnson too in many mock drafts but in reality...Tampa will lose some youngster with many more potential years in the league than Johnson has left...I'd take Cal Foote or Erik Cernak whichever isn't protected

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I had Seattle taking Tyler Johnson too in many mock drafts but in reality...Tampa will lose some youngster with many more potential years in the league than Johnson has left...I'd take Cal Foote or Erik Cernak whichever isn't protected
The problem is that there's aren't going to be many scorers available in the expansion draft, whereas there will be many decent defensemen available. If you look only at Tampa, the BPA might be a defenseman, but in the overall picture of building a competitive team, they have to go with some offense.

Who else do you have projected to play top 6 forward?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The problem is that there's aren't going to be many scorers available in the expansion draft, whereas there will be many decent defensemen available. If you look only at Tampa, the BPA might be a defenseman, but in the overall picture of building a competitive team, they have to go with some offense.

Who else do you have projected to play top 6 forward?

I think there'll be guys taken no one even thinks off right now.

A couple will be taken because teams ask us to(because they want to get rid off those contracts) and hand us assets for that.
Others will be taken because they have a good 2020-21 season(in either NHL, AHL or a european league) or their advanced stats show a potential for more production playing more minutes with better linemates.

I mean, who would've thought that William Karlsson would turn out to be this productive offensively?
The Blue Jacketts basically begged the Golden Knights to take him and also handed them a first rounder and a second rounder on top off it.

So yeah, I think we'll have a good blueline to start with(with all those defenders available) and will be able to trade a few of them(maybe even for a winger) after the expansion draft.
We'll also rely on our scouting to find those hidden gems offensively who'll be able to produce above their former level with the opportunity given.

Though, that's why we currently have all those scouts and analytical people(like Mandrycky) employed.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think there'll be guys taken no one even thinks off right now.

A couple will be taken because teams ask us to(because they want to get rid off those contracts) and hand us assets for that.
Others will be taken because they have a good 2020-21 season(in either NHL, AHL or a european league) or their advanced stats show a potential for more production playing more minutes with better linemates.

I mean, who would've thought that William Karlsson would turn out to be this productive offensively?
The Blue Jacketts basically begged the Golden Knights to take him and also handed them a first rounder and a second rounder on top off it.

So yeah, I think we'll have a good blueline to start with(with all those defenders available) and will be able to trade a few of them(maybe even for a winger) after the expansion draft.
We'll also rely on our scouting to find those hidden gems offensively who'll be able to produce above their former level with the opportunity given.

Though, that's why we currently have all those scouts and analytical people(like Mandrycky) employed.
There's a good chance Tampa will throw a pick in to have us select TJ, rather than having to give up one of their young players. It fixes their salary cap issues.

I expect a big trade as well for a winger considering the quality of defensemen that will be available. Plenty of unbalanced teams with too much money tied into forwards like Edm (RNH?) and Tor (Nylander?). Also some teams desperate for defense like Det.

I'd be pretty disappointed if the team didn't have at least one line that can score, however they get those players. Defensive hockey is boring to watch (NYI, Nash).

Reactions: alexislafreniere

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
LaFreniere.

Failing that, probably, and this is a huge stretch, who ever they draft from expansion. Probably Eriksson or Hutton or whoever they take from Vancouver, as a few of my fellows have called, against Vancouver.

NYR: Hey, so, we'll trade you LaFreniere for a 2nd rd pick if you promise not to take Marc Staal in the expansion draft!

Vegas: Dangit, they topped us.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Tampa Bay is going to have to expose some decent players (Expansion Plan: Projecting the Tampa Bay Lightning’s protection list for the 2021 expansion draft - TheHockeyNews), possibly including Palat, Killorn, Cernak, Foote, and Johnson, so I'm going to say Tyler Johnson* scores Seattle's first goal.

*Spokane native to boot!
Uh, I think TyJo stays in Tampa. Look at the CapFriendly here:

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you notice, the top 7 names (we have to protect 7) are all signed through the expansion draft. I think Cirelli is exposed as is Verhaeghe and Stephens.

The 3 D, would be Heddy, McD, and Cernak ... not Serge. I think he is given up.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Uh, I think TyJo stays in Tampa. Look at the CapFriendly here:

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you notice, the top 7 names (we have to protect 7) are all signed through the expansion draft. I think Cirelli is exposed as is Verhaeghe and Stephens.

The 3 D, would be Heddy, McD, and Cernak ... not Serge. I think he is given up.

You don't have to protect seven forwards.
You could also go with eight skaters(no matter if offense or defense) if you wanted to.

BTW: I'd take Cirelli in a heartbeeat.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
LaFreniere.

Failing that, probably, and this is a huge stretch, who ever they draft from expansion. Probably Eriksson or Hutton or whoever they take from Vancouver, as a few of my fellows have called, against Vancouver.

NYR: Hey, so, we'll trade you LaFreniere for a 2nd rd pick if you promise not to take Marc Staal in the expansion draft!

Vegas: Dangit, they topped us.

Both our posts aged like milk. A lot can happen in a season, where I get the dates wrong for the expansion draft!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->