Who will score more points this season, Lafrenière or Lankinen?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've studied the two players closely over their young careers so far. One thing always stands out to me about Lankinen, especially when contrasted with Lafreniere. Say what you will about Chicago's defense, but they always protect their prized rookie. Every time they win, they give kudos to Lankinen via fist bumps. When the other team gets near their rookie, the D swarm around him, forming like a protective shell.

Have you ever watched Chicago's penalty kill? OK, next time they're on the kill, watch Lankinen. Chicago forms this 4-man unit around him, like Lankinen is the absolute center of the play. It's so strange. The players try EVERYTHING they can to prevent Lankinen from getting the puck. I guess he can't play the puck well, but they really do everything. Like they fall on the ice, they form lines between the puck and Lankinen. Get this - they will often take the puck, and throw it down the OPPOSITE end of the ice, as far from Lankinen as possible. No icing is called of course (typical NHL refs).

What's also interesting is on the power play, the strategy is very different. The players tend to go really far from Lankinen, like he has no chance of playing the puck. And Lankinen seems to be OK with it. Like, he doesn't come out to make plays. I'll try to watch more games and report back what I find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad