• Total voters

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Team Management
President and Alternate Govenor: Brendan Shanahan
General Manager*: Lou Lamoriello -> Kyle Dubas
Assistant General Manager/Marlies General Manager: Kyle Dubas -> Sean Burke
Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel: Mark Hunter -> Ron Francis
Director of Hockey and Scouting Operations: Reid Mitchell
Director of Hockey Finances: Brandon Pridham
Director of Team Operations: Brad Lynn
Senior Adviser: Cliff Fletcher

Scouting Staff

Director of Player Evaluation and Scouting: Jim Paliafito
Player Evaluation Consultant: Mike Gerrits -> Joe Niewendyuk
Director of Professional Scouting: Dave Morrison
Director of Eastern Scouting: Lindsay Hofford -> Wes Clark
Director of Western Scouting: Tim Speltz
Director of American Scouting: John Lilley
Director of European Scouting: Ari Vuori
European Scout (Scandinavia): Thommie Bergman
European Scout (Scandinavia): Robert Nordmark
European Scout (Russia): Yevgeni Namestnikov
European Scout (Russia): Nikolai Ladygin
European Scout (Czechnia/Slovakia/Switzerland/Germany): Radim Jelinek
Eastern Scout (OHL): Vacant -> Ian Meagher
Eastern Scout (OHL): John Kisil
Eastern Scout (QMJHL): Patrick Charbonneau
Eastern Scout (QMJHL): Real Paiement
American Scout (Chicago): Tony Martino -> Brian Prout
American Scout (Boston): Jim Vesey
Western Scout (BC/AB): Garth Malarchuk
Western Scout (SK/MB): Dale Derkatch
Pro Scout: Thommy Albelin -> Joe Niewendyuk
Pro Scout: Troy Bodie
Pro Scout: Mike Penny
Pro Scout: Jim Roque
Pro Scout: Tom Watt

Player Development
Director of Player Development: Scott Pellerin
Assistant Director of Player Development: Stephane Robidas
Player Development Consultant: Darryl Belfrey
Skating Development Consultant: Barbara Underhill
Skill Development Consultant: Mike Ellis
Player Development Analyst: Jack Han
Goaltending Consultant: Brian Daccord
Special Assignment Coach (Skaters)*: Jacques Lemaire -> Vacant
Special Assignment Coach (Goalies)*: Jacques Caron -> Vacant

New additions: Ron Francis; Joe Niewendyuk; Ian Meagher; Wes Clark; Sean Burke; Brian Prout
Exiting: Lou Lamoriello, Mark Hunter, Lindsay Hofford, Thommy Albelin, Jacques Lemaire, Jacques Caron, Tony Martino, Mike Gerrits

Francis has a ton of experience and wisdom that he can pass off to Dubas, and can handle all of Hunter's non-scouting related roles and probably a few other things. Hunter's scouting role will be split between Paliafito and Niewendyuk, who will also handle replacing Albelin and Gerrits.

Meagher, Clark and Prout are all familiar by people within this current group, share many of the same philosophies, and would be great fits in replacing both Hofford and Martino, who will likely move on with Hunter leaving. Obviously they have to earn the jobs based on merit, but they have the right mindsets and skill the Leafs want in those positions.

Reactions: meefer

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Technically I should have voted for Francis, but I voted other because really it is Paliafito who would handle the "Head Scout" position (that doesn't really exist but whatever), with Burke and Francis handling the other vacancies in the front office.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jonas Siegel mentioned on the Leafs Report with James Mirtle that there's a very strong chance the Leafs will hire Ron Francis in some capacity.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I guarantee y'all one thang: It ain't gon be Ari Vuori. He doesn't have the balls to do it in toronto. He is not big enough to step up. Low profile, silent type of a finnish sucka. He does the job he is doing, but not this type of head kahuna. Especially in the biggest pressure market toronto. Count him out and bank on it. *cash*

member 300185

Just spitballing here but how about Bobby Mac? That guy knows talent and every year he is more accurate than the Central Scouting people.

Reactions: Kurtz

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Jonas Siegel mentioned on the Leafs Report with James Mirtle that there's a very strong chance the Leafs will hire Ron Francis in some capacity.
I thought it was more of a guess because Francis and Dubas have a connection in Sault Ste. Marie. Also because Francis was a believer in using analytics to his advantage and had to make shrewd picks with a small cap. Either way I don't think I'd mind him? I'm more indifferent I guess.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought it was more of a guess because Francis and Dubas have a connection in Sault Ste. Marie. Also because Francis was a believer in using analytics to his advantage and had to make shrewd picks with a small cap. Either way I don't think I'd mind him? I'm more indifferent I guess.

They both said they think the Leafs will hire Francis. Here's a full quote I transcribed from Mirtle.

Mirtle "Francis who's from the Soo, like Dubas, and I'm told they are really really close. Obviously Ron Francis was fired from the Hurricanes. The debate if they hire Ron Francis, which I think they will hire him, [goes on a tangent about his tenure of Francis in Carolina]."

Siegel also echoed the same thing.

They did talk about what you said as well, about finding inefficiencies and embracing analytics to make decisions, as well as maximizing draft selections.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Should split the job. AGM and head scout was a position made for someone like Hunter.

AGM I would like someone with GM experience like Fletcher, Francis or Nieuwendyk.

Head scout I want anyone but Morrison. Probably best to hire from within so close to the draft. So Paliafito or Hofford.

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
seeing as how there are 2 openings I'll say Ron Francis and Joe Niewendyuk .

Another possibility could be Rob Simpson from the Knights or Steve Staios from the Bulldogs.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Technically I should have voted for Francis, but I voted other because really it is Paliafito who would handle the "Head Scout" position (that doesn't really exist but whatever), with Burke and Francis handling the other vacancies in the front office.

A request please: whenever using Sean Burke’s name, please include his first name as ‘Burke’ alone gives me night terrors.

Reactions: shortfuze and NCoRe

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Ron Francis why?

Because it was speculated by Siegel and Mirtle?

Do failed GMs go on to flourish in a bigger organization?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Ron Francis why?

Because it was speculated by Siegel and Mirtle?

Do failed GMs go on to flourish in a bigger organization?

No playoffs during his tenure there obviously, but how being GM in Carolina played out is not necessarily how being Assistant GM in Toronto would play out.

Experienced or unproven, there's probably going to be questions surrounding either.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Poulin? Didn't Shanahan fire him in 2014 or 2015? That would be odd.

Brian Burke would be a great scout.
Y'all have to read these boards carefully son. The man or she said he or she did it as a joke. He or she was cool like that.

Reactions: Kelly

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You can’t poach people for equivalent positions unless they are out of their contract. We can’t hire another teams AGM if they have a current deal. It’s why Hunter couldn’t leave for a lateral position prior to the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->