Who will put up more points? Out of Kessel, Toews, Staal, Backstrom

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
Staal will almost definitely be playing wing for either Crosby or Malkin. Probably by October 2007. Staal will score more points than the rest of them because of this. Backstrom will be a close second.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Toews will score the least because of the players on the Hawks and the system they play.

AgentNaslund*

Backstrom is going back to Sweden for 2 more years. Good job on that GM for locking him up for 2 more years.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Any proof?

Backstrom is going back to Sweden for 2 more years. Good job on that GM for locking him up for 2 more years.

He was supposed to answer to his Capitals contract next week.

And there's not a hint of this in swedish media, nor on the club site.

// hdw

AgentNaslund*

whered u see this?

a msg was posted a by a member here with link and stuff saying he signed a 2 year contract with some swedish team. This was a few months back.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Gnah

a msg was posted a by a member here with link and stuff saying he signed a 2 year contract with some swedish team. This was a few months back.

Yes a two year contract with NHL option, like all the others ...

For the record, Nicklas Bäckström has been offered a max level rookie contract by the Caps, and he's supposed to answer next week. His Swedish GM was quoted last friday stating "I hope that he'll stay, but I don't know".

I hope, for his sake that he stays one more year, it's not easy coming over at the tender age of 18 without even a fellow swede on the team.

But I'll guess it's 50/50.

And _if_ he signs he'll rack up points like crazy, he's superb playmaker with loads of hockey sense and a slick stick. Pair with him with skilled scorer and watch the magic.

And I think AlexO can be regarded a skilled scorer.

Some swedish media was with him at the airport flying back form the draft, and AlexO showed up, waiting for his flight to Moscow. He not only asked Bäckis to sign, he begged him to, saying 'please sign that contract, I know you can play here and we'll have so fun next season'.

// hdw
ps
Note that Alex has actually played with him already. or actually against him in Riga.
ds.

justdanickoftime*

backstrom will have at least 50 points being alex's center, maybe more if alex goes for 60 goals this year

Lust for Leafs*

career wise, staal

next year who ever gets the most ice time and plays highest on their team, they are all pretty good.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If all were put in a similar situation i would guess

Kessel
Backstrom
Toews
Staal

looking at the teams that drated them i might put Backstrom higher the Kessel(due to being AO's center). I am suprised peopel have Staal rated so high for offense. He will basically be the third line center in Pittsburg and i see him more a Keith Primeau type(gets a decent amount of points but is good for others reasons beyond scoring).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only way Staal stays at center is if he absolutely sucks at wing. The Penguins have a ton of players who are capable of taking that third line center spot down the road...all putting Staal there does is take away one of their jobs(not to mention waste Staal). I fully expect Staal to be playing on Malkin's wing when he breaks into the NHL and stay there.

Well, not to mention, even if by some off chance he does stick to center and play third line minutes...he's still going to be on the power play...
Staal-Malkin-Crosby
Gonchar-Whitney

A blind monkey could score at a 20% clip on that unit.

Essentially I'll break it down this way...
This Year: Backstrom. No contest since no other has a real shot of even making in the NHL, muchless play on a line with Alexander Ovechkin.
Career: Staal. Playing with Crosby & Malkin for at least the first part of his career is going to make for some very nice numbers. Not to mention I still say he has the highest ceiling in this draft(he just has a long-*** way to get there).
Goals: Kessel. Backstrom and Staal may be 40 goal a year guys, but Kessel could pop 50 in regularly. Helps the fact his role in Boston will be the goal scorer. Backstrom will be the playmaker in Washington and Staal...we'll see on that one(Crosby & Malkin are both playmakers as well).

I don't see Toews bringing in any sort of offensive awards anytime soon. Take a mix of him not being as offensively gifted as these 3 and of him just not having anything close to as good of a situation. He'll have talent to play with...but not Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Staal is very young and is the wild card in this. There is a reason quite a few teams were trying to move to number two and wanted him specifically. I did not hear anyone else mentioned. His upside is enormous. But again, he is very very young so that upside remains a question mark. More a projection than based on what he has done, though he has been alright so far.

Now for what was said by others above. Staal is in the best situation to put up points by the boatful. Even better than Backstrom with Ovechkin. But it all depends on how he developes if he can take advantage of that opportunity. If I were a betting man I would say he will do it. But that is the wild card in this thread's question.

bigjags*

Yes a two year contract with NHL option, like all the others ...

For the record, Nicklas Bäckström has been offered a max level rookie contract by the Caps, and he's supposed to answer next week. His Swedish GM was quoted last friday stating "I hope that he'll stay, but I don't know".

I hope, for his sake that he stays one more year, it's not easy coming over at the tender age of 18 without even a fellow swede on the team.

But I'll guess it's 50/50.

And _if_ he signs he'll rack up points like crazy, he's superb playmaker with loads of hockey sense and a slick stick. Pair with him with skilled scorer and watch the magic.

And I think AlexO can be regarded a skilled scorer.

Some swedish media was with him at the airport flying back form the draft, and AlexO showed up, waiting for his flight to Moscow. He not only asked Bäckis to sign, he begged him to, saying 'please sign that contract, I know you can play here and we'll have so fun next season'.

// hdw
ps
Note that Alex has actually played with him already. or actually against him in Riga.
ds.

That my friends, is some great insight. only 19 posts? Do post more!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->