Who Will Play Goal For Team Canada WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Canadian Chris said:
I'd be thinking Kevin Nastiuk would have to be a front runner from the WHL...not Beauchemin...but maybe that's just me....Pogge I think could've been there had he not missed the first few weeks of the season and add in the fact that he's still getting his timing and everything back. The kid is a damn good goalie. But I'd have to say Kevin Nastiuk outta Medicine Hat has gotta be a front runner from the WHL

I mentioned Beauchemin as the front-runner for the spot, as he was the only 'Dub goalie named to the upcoming WHL/Russia Challenge so far.

Since they only name players eligible for the upcoming World Juniors and Hockey Canada has a part in selecting the rosters, it seems that Beauchemin is Hockey Canada's favorite for a spot from the WHL so far.

And no, it won't be Pogge.

leafaholix*

Boondock Saint said:
And no, it won't be Pogge.
I never said it would be him, but if Pogge continues his play of late, he'll put up a good fight for one of the two positions. His numbers are good considering he was blown out of a couple games after returning from a break leg.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Leafaholix said:
They finished 4th in the WHL last season and finished 5th in goals for. Prince George finished in the bottom 3 in points and gave up the most number of goals in the WHL.

I agree that right now they're pretty even, but I still think Pogge projects to be the better of the two.

That still doesn't explain him going 90th overall and Rejean going 101 spots lower in what was a pretty deep draft, but when it gets into the 5th and 6th rounds, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the 2004 draft.

Last year they did. THe year before, Prince Albert wasn't very good.

What I ment from the draft year thing, was that in Pogge's draft year he did play very well. Beauchemin did not. That's why scouts saw more from Pogge. When Beauchemin won the starting job the next year, he shown.

The point I'm trying to make is that Beauchemin, so far, has shown a higher ceiling than Pogge. Nothing Pogge has done has been better than the year Rej had last year. While they may have a similar season so far right now, anything could happen. Rejean could tank and Pogge could surpass what Beauchemin showed last year. Beachemin could improve on what he did last year and Pogge could regress. Right now, the start of this season has been too small a sample size to really see where both of them are. Both had poor starts and are picking things up. But IMO, Beauchemin has shown a higher ceiling than Pogge has yet, and that is why IMO he is the better prospect. I can however, see you're position. I think halfway through the season will be able to both have firmer positions on these two players. Again, both are good goalies.

It will be interesting to see if any other goalies are selected for the WHL. Beauchemin had the inside track according to Sutter after the summer camp, and he's been pretty solid so far.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i will chime in as a guy from prince george. what pogge did was make a lot of our dmen's +/- stats seem better than they should have been (not saying much because they all sucked)

most nights, it was pogge, byfuglien, and maybe three of the forwards (rotating since there was NO consistency)

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
What kind of chance would you rate the following? No chance? Some chance?

Corey Crawford
David Tremblay
Julien Ellis

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
clefty said:
What kind of chance would you rate the following? No chance? Some chance?

Corey Crawford
David Tremblay
Julien Ellis

Crawford is too old

Tremblay I personally think isn't that great in the few Gatineau games I've seen he wasn't that impressive.

Ellis I would think might get a look.

If I remember correctly, Beauchemin played well at the selection camp and Nastiuk didn't do so well. I would think that the Remax games will be important for the goalies, we'll have to see who gets picked for the U-20 camp in december.

Blindside9711

I would have to agree with whoever said the final running will come down to guys like Shantz (who makes the mediocre Ice Dogs a contender the last couple seasons), Beauchemin, Dubnyk and Munce... with 3 of those guys being named to the final roster. Personally, I think Shantz or Rej would be our best bet of a starter for Canada in the WJC's.

bruins4777*

I'd like to see what dubynk could do, but shantz might take it.

I want to see natsiuk play also, i've been anxious to see this kid i've heard so much about him.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
Leafaholix said:
Well, it is a pretty weak year in net for Canada, so if Rejean does take the #1 spot, it'll obviously be based on his age and the opportunity he got this past summer to attend the camp. It surely won't have anything to do with him being a better prospect than Pogge if they don't give the kid a shot.

Beauchemin earned that shot based on the way he played last year, it was not given to him because of his age. Canada would not just throw in a goalie because of age, they have went with younger goalie's plenty of times. To all of a sudden judge that Pogge should be placed ahead of Beauchemin is a bit crazy as either goalie has played to the level they expected so far this year and Beachemin has a proven track record. Besides, it is still early in the year. So far Pogge has never proven he could play at the level Beauchemin played at last year. If you were to compare Beachemin's play last year to Pogge's this year, you would definately take Beauchemin's.

leafaholix*

Captain Conservative said:
If you guys let us borrow Phaneuf, we'll let you borrow Cory Schneider.
We'll give you Jeff Shantz for Phil Kessel.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What are Justin Peters chances of making the team?
I think he should be right up there with Shantz. I know him personally and his attitude would be great for Team Canada to have even if it's as a backup.

leafaholix*

Captain Conservative said:
:lol

Good stuff man. I'd say thats about equal to my trade proposal.
Nothing against Schneider, but Phaneuf's the guy that's going to make this team work.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Everyone else is throwing there teams goalie prospect out there, so I might as well. What about Jeff Glass? He is playing on the WHL team for the Russian tour.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Don't underestimate the love that has been shown recent U-18 grads.

If it's even close, a guy who played for the U-18's will get the nod, and with Double D's performance after a rocky start, he's probably going to be one of the goalies.

I personally don't care who is in net, as long as they win.

BTW... I predicted last year that Fleury shouldn't have been guaranteed a spot on the team, and I think I was right ;)

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
dawgbone said:
Don't underestimate the love that has been shown recent U-18 grads.

If it's even close, a guy who played for the U-18's will get the nod, and with Double D's performance after a rocky start, he's probably going to be one of the goalies.

Beauchemin played for the Under 18 team as well.

I'm nto just pimping my goalie here because I like him, Sutter said after the summer camp Rej had the inside track for the spot. I really do think he is the front runner for starter.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
paxtang said:
Beauchemin played for the Under 18 team as well.

Wasn't he a backup to Harding that year?

I'm nto just pimping my goalie here because I like him, Sutter said after the summer camp Rej had the inside track for the spot. I really do think he is the front runner for starter.

Unfortunately the summer camp isn't the best indicator... I mean you can have the best summer camp ever, and if you can't play during the regular season, that summer camp gets thrown right out the window.

But it's interesting... I like these wide-open goalie spots. It seems like too much pressure is heaped on a guy who is being hyped as the clear cut favorite. Fleury came in 2 years ago out of nowhere and was brilliant, and last year he was the odds on favorite and didn't do so well. Pascal Leclair was trumped up too, but had a very poor tournament...

mooseOAK*

Who's the best goalie for the WJC's and who is the best NHL prospect are two entirely separate things.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
dawgbone said:
Wasn't he a backup to Harding that year?

Unfortunately the summer camp isn't the best indicator... I mean you can have the best summer camp ever, and if you can't play during the regular season, that summer camp gets thrown right out the window.

But it's interesting... I like these wide-open goalie spots. It seems like too much pressure is heaped on a guy who is being hyped as the clear cut favorite. Fleury came in 2 years ago out of nowhere and was brilliant, and last year he was the odds on favorite and didn't do so well. Pascal Leclair was trumped up too, but had a very poor tournament...

A) Yes, he was, but I thought you were just stating that those that were on the team would have a better shot. And Beauchemin was on the team.

B) Of course the summer camp isn't the end all. But Beauchemin, according to Sutter, was the favorite for the spot coming into the season, and he hasn't exactly played his way out of the spot. People might like other goalies, and others might be having better seasons, but Beauchemin is the only goalie to have been given a verbal statement that he is one of the favorites. That was my point.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
I would love to see Dubnyk play for Canada, but since he was'nt named to the WHL/Russia exhibition game I don't see he could even be in consideration right now for a goaltending job at the WJC. I think only players that play in this exhibition game will be invited for the winter camp, and unless they make a roster adjustment I just don't see any chance for him to be on this team.

After a slow start he's been playing very well for the Blazers lately. I don't see how he was left off the WHL team, does anybody know if they are going to add some players to it?

Stats:
Player Team GPI MINS Shots GA SO Ave. SV% Wins Losses Ties

Devan Dubnyk Kamloops 16 918 447 37 2 2.420 0.917 5 10 1

Rejean Beauchemin Raiders 18 1006 499 46 1 2.740 0.908 6 10 1

I think with these stats Dubnyk shows that certainly should be playing this game.

And how do they leave Nastiuk off? Sure he's on an awesome team, but he is one of the reasons that they are so good.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
as per the Kootenay Ice website - www.kootenayice.net - Nastiuk WAS named, along with Jeff Glass for tenders for the Remax Canada/Russia series...Also, Brule has been named, along with Weber and Fistric. Although I doubt Fistric takes part now that he has broken his jaw...again...in a different spot none the less...poor kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad