Who Will Play Goal For Team Canada WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Boondock Saint said:
The front-runner from the 'Dub for a spot on the team appears to be Rejean Beauchemin.
If that's the case, Justin Pogge should have the same odds...

Rejean Beauchemin: 18-6-10-1, 1 SO, 2.74 GAA, .908 %
Justin Pogge: 11-5-3-2, 3 SO, 2.45 GAA, .903 %

espo*

Leafaholix said:

Who the heck is that scoring that goal in your avatar?What a pretty goal!!!!! :eek:

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
Leafaholix said:

Pogge is not even close. There has been no indication Pogge is even in the running.

BTW, that goal is pretty sweet.

leafaholix*

Juicer said:
Pogge is not even close. There has been no indication Pogge is even in the running.

BTW, that goal is pretty sweet.
Well, it is a pretty weak year in net for Canada, so if Rejean does take the #1 spot, it'll obviously be based on his age and the opportunity he got this past summer to attend the camp. It surely won't have anything to do with him being a better prospect than Pogge if they don't give the kid a shot.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
Leafaholix said:
Well, it is a pretty weak year in net for Canada, so if Rejean does take the #1 spot, it'll obviously be based on his age and the opportunity he got this past summer to attend the camp. It surely won't have anything to do with him being a better prospect than Pogge if they don't give the kid a shot.

Beauchemin is certainly a contender for the spot, I think the job is very much up for grabs and there are quite a few guys who could be the starter. I don't think he has the hold he appeared to have after the last camp ended. I have not heard Pogge mentioned at all. As it stands right now, Beauchemin is a better prospect than Pogge, but that has little to do with this topic.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I'd be thinking Kevin Nastiuk would have to be a front runner from the WHL...not Beauchemin...but maybe that's just me....Pogge I think could've been there had he not missed the first few weeks of the season and add in the fact that he's still getting his timing and everything back. The kid is a damn good goalie. But I'd have to say Kevin Nastiuk outta Medicine Hat has gotta be a front runner from the WHL

leafaholix*

Juicer said:
Beauchemin is certainly a contender for the spot, I think the job is very much up for grabs and there are quite a few guys who could be the starter. I don't think he has the hold he appeared to have after the last camp ended. I have not heard Pogge mentioned at all. As it stands right now, Beauchemin is a better prospect than Pogge, but that has little to do with this topic.
You consider Beauchemin a better prospect?

Even though Pogge's having a similar to better season, he's a year younger, and he went higher in the NHL draft, which basically means NHL scouts thought highly of him.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Leafaholix said:

Even though Pogge's having a similar to better season, he's a year younger, and he went higher in the NHL draft, which basically means NHL scouts thought highly of him.

Agree :handclap:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Leafaholix said:

I'd say Beauchemin's stocked moved up quite a bit last year, wouldn't you? The year Beauchemin had when he was the same age as Pogge was better than the one Pogge is having now. Beachemin had a bad start (well, Prince Albert had a bad start, but he didn't carry them like he is supposed to) but his play has improved as of late. I can see your arguement that Pogge is better, but IMO Beauchemin is the better prospect.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
At least two of Shantz, Munce, Boutin, Nastiuk, Peters, Beauchemin, Dubnyk & Ellis-Plante will likely make the team.

I'd guess Shantz, Beauchemin & Dubnyk.

PEli*

Leachmeister2000 said:
Boutin? Does he have a ghost of a chance? No love for the 'Q'?

Not this year. Boutin started hot but has been on the end of some poor games. I'd peg the blame on most of his team but he's the last line of defense. If he wants a shot, he'll have to play like he did during the first month of the season again.

leafaholix*

paxtang said:
I'd say Beauchemin's stocked moved up quite a bit last year, wouldn't you? The year Beauchemin had when he was the same age as Pogge was better than the one Pogge is having now.
We're not even 20 games in, even then Justin Pogge is coming off a very bad break in his leg, and he's still adjusting. At the age of 18 he is outperforming a 19 year old Rejean Beauchemin, a goaltender in his third full season in the WHL while Pogge's played 55 games in his WHL career.

Beachemin had a bad start (well, Prince Albert had a bad start, but he didn't carry them like he is supposed to) but his play has improved as of late. I can see your arguement that Pogge is better, but IMO Beauchemin is the better prospect.
Prince George apparently has one of the crappiest defenses in the league and has scored fewer goals to support it's goaltenders, yet Pogge is over .500. He also has a better GAA and similar save %. Pogge's also bigger and has been hot over the last 5 games with 3 shutouts. It's close, but with another year under his belt, there's no reason to think Pogge's not the better of the two.

Apparently NHL scouts thought so as well.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Leafaholix said:
We're not even 20 games in, even then Justin Pogge is coming off a very bad break in his leg, and he's still adjusting. At the age of 18 he is outperforming a 19 year old Rejean Beauchemin, a goaltender in his third full season in the WHL while Pogge's played 55 games in his WHL career.

Prince George apparently has one of the crappiest defenses in the league and has scored fewer goals to support it's goaltenders, yet Pogge is over .500. He also has a better GAA and similar save %. Pogge's also bigger and has been hot over the last 5 games with 3 shutouts. It's close, but with another year under his belt, there's no reason to think Pogge's not the better of the two.

Apparently NHL scouts thought so as well.

A) Beachemin's 19 year old season was better than Pogge's current 19 year old season. It seems to me the point you are trying to make is that Pogge would be further along with his development because as an 18 year old he is better than a 19 year old. Beachemin proved he could play at a level better than Pogge could last year. At least in my opinion. Pogge could be better, but to me he hasn't proven as much as Rej has.

B) Prince Albert isn't exactly a great team either, and they weren't last year either.

C) You might find reason to think so, but I think Rej showed last year how he could carry a team, he showed at the camp he can play at a high level. Both had subpar starts and are improving. Hell, maybe Pogge is better or just as good, but I think we can both agree they are very good goalie's and both pretty even.

D) Pogge had a better draft year, there's no doubt of that.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
If Nastiuk plays like he has been, he has to be considered the huge front runner from the WHL. Sure, MH is playing great in front of him, but his numbers don't lie. Under 1 GAA, .96something S% and 12-2-1 or so record? No matter how good of a team you have in front of you, you have to be playing pretty incredible to amass numbers like that. His playoff run last year also showed that he is a very clutch goaltender, something that should help his bid, if it needs any help.

I'm more interested in what the OHL and especially the QMJHL have to offer. After years of supplying us with a goalie, the Q didn't even have ONE at summer camp. What's going on over there?

leafaholix*

paxtang said:
A) Beachemin's 19 year old season was better than Pogge's current 19 year old season. It seems to me the point you are trying to make is that Pogge would be further along with his development because as an 18 year old he is better than a 19 year old. Beachemin proved he could play at a level better than Pogge could last year. At least in my opinion.
From what I've read on Pogge, he did carry the Cougars on many nights.

Pogge could be better, but to me he hasn't proven as much as Rej has.
Well, he's played 60 fewer games at this level than Rejean, so it's hard to prove himself. But in terms of potential, NHL scouts must have seen something they liked during last season when he stole the job from Todd Ford.

B) Prince Albert isn't exactly a great team either, and they weren't last year either.
They finished 4th in the WHL last season and finished 5th in goals for. Prince George finished in the bottom 3 in points and gave up the most number of goals in the WHL.

C) You might find reason to think so, but I think Rej showed last year how he could carry a team, he showed at the camp he can play at a high level. Both had subpar starts and are improving. Hell, maybe Pogge is better or just as good, but I think we can both agree they are very good goalie's and both pretty even.
I agree that right now they're pretty even, but I still think Pogge projects to be the better of the two.

D) Pogge had a better draft year, there's no doubt of that.
That still doesn't explain him going 90th overall and Rejean going 101 spots lower in what was a pretty deep draft, but when it gets into the 5th and 6th rounds, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the 2004 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad