who will phanuef smash this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
flyers guy said:
Man, some of you guys must make terrible athletes. As someone who's played hockey and other sports, injuring another player is not a thought that goes through my mind. Sorry, but I'm going to come full force when I get the chance and I expect no less from my opponents. That's not dirty, it's just clean, competitive play. I've injured quite a few guys over the years, it's not something I try to do, but something I fully expect to occasionally happen when a bunch of big guys are crashing into each other at full force on ice.
:bow: :handclap: Thank you, someone who gets it.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
PanthersRule said:
Still, in a prospects game, there's no need for a big hit against others trying to strut their stuff. Everyone knows here that prospects games are more for the forwards than the defense. I mean, hitting Pouliot is nuts, cuz no one expects it in a prospects game. That'd be like Scott Stevens laying out Sami Kapanen when Kapenen played in the Allstar game a few years ago.
The Top Prospects game isn't even close to being comparable to the All-Star game. The players in the prospects game know that everyone will be watching them and want to shine for everyone watching and scouting. The games may be very high scoring, but that doesn't mean they aren't very highly competitive, because they are. The All-Star games are played by proven players for the most part and they couldn't really care less about giving 100% in most cases. Sure, defensemen don't lay out the huge hits there, but that's also caused by the forwards not putting themselves in the dangerous positions in All-Star games.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
MrMastodonFarm said:
:bow: :handclap: Thank you, someone who gets it.
I don't see how anyone who has ever been very competitive at any level in any sport could think differently. If they haven't been, that's fine, but if they haven't felt the same passion that goes on during a competitive game, I really don't think those people can fully understand the way I or any other player feel.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
PanthersRule said:
I don't. that's not what I meant , but by the phrasing of my sentence, I see where you though that.

Still, that was an excessively aggressive body check and when hitting becomes excessively rough, a penalty is supposed to be called. If he just hit Olesz like Coburn or any other d would've Olesz would've still been crushed, but not KO'd, and the end result would be Canada still gets the puck. There's absolutely no way a player goes for a hit that big and is not not attempting to at least take him off the ice for the rest of the game. That was an excessively rough hit. The reason I said the legal stuff, it because I've heard that that hit was illegal according to IIHF standards. This is true right? :dunno: . Sure, Phaneuf could hit Olesz hard, no problem with that (other than that he's a panther prospect now ;) ), but if it's a hit illegal by IIHF standards, but legal by NA standards, then he went out of his way. By IIHF standards, you can still crush people, but completely KOing Olesz, whether he had his head down or not, is overboard no matter how you look at it. Especially at the WJC, where there are skilled players from all over the world and talent is focused on more than hitting. Like of course there should be big hits, but no going out of your way to KO someone, and it was obvious Phaneuf was really going for a HUGE hit that he probably knew would knock Olesz out.

wJC is about skill and Phaneuf showed his best skill off....open ice hitting. Hard to do in a big rink isnt it?

I love big hits. That was a huge hit. Hockey should more physical by more hitting and less hooking. Wouldve been better if Olesz wouldve gotten up gone to the bench shaken his head gone back out went out the the next shift with his head up and set up a teammate for a great goal.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Another thing worth mentioning is the impact on the rest of the game and tournament of a hit like that. I certainly think it's wrong to go out and hit someone with the intention of seriously hurting them, but a huge part of hitting is the intimidation factor. You want it to hurt so that they'll be afraid of you later. I absolutely guarantee you that every other team saw that hit and knew exactly who threw it. When teams play Phaneuf, they will be aware he's on the ice, and could easily play a little bit timid. Again, you don't go out trying to seriously injure people, but like someone said, you always go as hard as you can, and sometimes that means people are going to get hurt. If you don't like it, you shouldn't play hockey.

Vic Rattlehead*

Taupy said:
LOL! I wanted to write the same thing, but I just remember how Bergeron was gay when Begin try to hit him.

Bergeron can take care of himself. He knocked both Volchenkov and Varada out of Ottawa's lineup last year.

Oh, I remember a game where Thornton hit Begin from behind. Thornton was thrown out of the game and Begin was crying on the ground. Two minutes later Begin was back on the ice with a smile on his face. Faked an injury, kind of like another hab I remember......

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Bergeron can take care of himself. He knocked both Volchenkov and Varada out of Ottawa's lineup last year.

Oh, I remember a game where Thornton hit Begin from behind. Thornton was thrown out of the game and Begin was crying on the ground. Two minutes later Begin was back on the ice with a smile on his face. Faked an injury, kind of like another hab I remember......

WHAT?

Steve Begin is tougher than Joe Thornton.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
19bruins19 said:

1- Its not a great accomplishment to injure people with cheapshots
2- How many stiches did Bégin get in his mouth?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
MrMastodonFarm said:
Before you start playing online psychologist maybe you should understand that I wasn’t getting worked up, at all. It was a simple question/thought.

Maybe you should go back and read it. It sure came off as pretty condescending.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
19bruins19 said:
Oh, I remember a game where Thornton hit Begin from behind.

You basically kill any point you have right there. He hit Begin from behind, end of story. Extremely dangerous play whether a guy is injured or not. He deserved to be kicked out. I also remember a play where a young Mike Komisarek levelled Big Joe only to have Joe stay crying on the ice and needed the rest of his teammates to try and run Komisarek for the rest of the series.What a big man he is.

Vic Rattlehead*

Nash13 said:
You basically kill any point you have right there. He hit Begin from behind, end of story. Extremely dangerous play whether a guy is injured or not. He deserved to be kicked out. I also remember a play where a young Mike Komisarek levelled Big Joe only to have Joe stay crying on the ice and needed the rest of his teammates to try and run Komisarek for the rest of the series.What a big man he is.

Thornton nailed Komisarek the next game. Thornton didn't sit ont he ice and cry either.

Read my post. He hit Begin, Begin cried on the ice, and he was back up and hitting people, laughing basically because he faked the injury. People I talked to said Begin was a wimp because he faked his injury(one of them was a habs fan!)

Vic Rattlehead*

Anyways, back to the original topic, you can't really say who Phaneuf will smash this year, but I will say he will get a huge hit in the third game.

Last edited by a moderator:

denphis

the other thing about phanuef hitting olesz is its not like olesz is a medicore player, he was considered one of the best players in the tournament (by some), he shouldn't have his head down or not be aware of where the opposition is. if phanuef ran at someone from japan or norway then i would say it was unnecessisary, but it wasn't it was a top notch junior player.
if phanuef doesn't make that hit hard or misses him olesz could easily have scored

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
denphis said:
the other thing about phanuef hitting olesz is its not like olesz is a medicore player, he was considered one of the best players in the tournament (by some), he shouldn't have his head down or not be aware of where the opposition is. if phanuef ran at someone from japan or norway then i would say it was unnecessisary, but it wasn't it was a top notch junior player.
if phanuef doesn't make that hit hard or misses him olesz could easily have scored
Don't worry. Olesz will make up for not scoring on that play this winter. He's gonna tear it up. I wouldn't even be surprised if he's the top scorer, although that's difficult to acheive. He is the Czech's go to guy though so he very well may be.

Not to mention that he's on fire in the Extraleague as well with 5 goals, 5 assists in 31 games, after having 1 goal 3 assists, through 21 games. In his last 10 games, he has 4 goals, 2 assists. That's when he played on the 3rd and 4th lines. HE was finally moved up to play with Jan Hlavec today and scored 10 minutes in.

I think Ovechkin is the only one who I would say is almost a lock to lead the tourney in scoring. PPl forget about how good Ovech is because of Crosby. Ovechkin is one of the best 1rst overall picks lately. He'll be up there with Nash and Kovalchuk and Thornton in terms of the top overall picks of the last few years. He's a beast and will tear it up, and I hope he destroys Phaneuf on some play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad