Speculation: Who will not be back on the roster for 2018/19

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
it's him having a down year, getting older and being a significant cap hit compared to his point production. that's the concern

So, ignore the first 10 years of his career, fixate on this year and contemplate trying to move him because of this year’s point total when he is locked down on a full NMC?

Great that you’re concerned but incredibly silly to suggest trading him. Not a discussion for this offseason at all.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
yes he should. that's what a good gm does. Maurice ain't taking this team to the scf. he's had 20 years of hockey to prove it.

what's his excuse for losing this one? how many excuses you gonna make for this coach

Yeah, and David Poile should take a look at Laviolette. How does he take the #1 team in the NHL and lose to a Paul Maurice team? :sarcasm:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, and David Poile should take a look at Laviolette. How does he take the #1 team in the NHL and lose to a Paul Maurice team? :sarcasm:
Clearly if the Presidents trophy winner doesn't win the SC, he should be fired.

At least by some people's version of logic.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Tanev had more goals in the playoffs than little Perrault ehlers so I wouldn't dismiss his offensive contribution.
In a larger sample I'd dismiss it. He's not a creative player and shouldn't be playing 3rd line minutes if offense is the goal. He's a decent 4th line player, maybe even a good one but he's basically a straight line player, with some speed, who works really hard. He's very replaceable imo, but that's neither here nor there, he's not going to make or break the Jets one way or the other anyway.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
In a larger sample I'd dismiss it. He's not a creative player and shouldn't be playing 3rd line minutes if offense is the goal. He's a decent 4th line player, maybe even a good one but he's basically a straight line player, with some speed, who works really hard. He's very replaceable imo, but that's neither here nor there, he's not going to make or break the Jets one way or the other anyway.
Talking about dismissing in a larger sample your boy Perrault was disappointing. He didn't score for the last quarter of the season and didn't pick it up in the playoffs.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I get the criticism of Little, especially after his year, the playoffs he had and his contract. But when I hear the same people waxing on about Stastny and what they would be willing to pay to sign him, I wonder what the hell they've been watching the past 3-4 years.

I like Stastny, I'd like to see him back if possible and not too costly (not happening I know), but people know he's basically Bryan Little with a touch more offense......right?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Petan was a point a game player in the A this year. 52 points in 52 games. If he played all year in the AHL at that pace he may have lead the whole league in points. Certainly in the top 5 or 10. So I wouldn't rule him out of the picture just yet. Roslovic was just over a point a game (35 in 32).
I've been back and forth on Petan a few times, but I'm now convinced he's an NHL player. Not sure how he'll fit in, but I'd be more than happy to see him on our roster next season.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Talking about dismissing in a larger sample your boy Perrault was disappointing. He didn't score for the last quarter of the season and didn't pick it up in the playoffs.
Ok, who's dismissing the larger sample here, you or me?

I'll concede Perreault was very disappointing down the stretch and in the playoffs (although I think he was pretty banged up), but I'll take Matty P's track record and pedigree over Tanev every day and twice on Sunday.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ok, who's dismissing the larger sample here, you or me?

I'll concede Perreault was very disappointing down the stretch and in the playoffs (although I think he was pretty banged up), but I'll take Matty P's track record and pedigree over Tanev every day and twice on Sunday.
I never said Tanev over Perrault. Except as a joke. But ya as far as I'm concerned they can both go. But Perrault is often banged up and at 4.5 mil is a far bit more expensive than Tanev's one mil. Much rather trade Perrault for someone better than Copp but more durable than Perrault.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If jets dont pick up 2nd line C

Maybe Jets can roll with

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
Perrault Roslovic Armia/Petan
Copp lowry Tanev/Armia

Myers is ok at 3rd pairing D with Kulikov.

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers
Chairot Poolman
So who is the coach instead of Maurice? We know for sure that Maurice is not going to have the top 6 as you put them here.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We don't have room under the cap for Stastny and with the guys that have to get resigned this season and next i don't think we will have enough room under the cap for Wheeler next season either . How much more is a Vezna candidate Helly going to make ? especially when we don't even really have a back-up goalie . Laine will get 8 million a year easy ,19 , 44 goals , easily 8 million a year . What's Trouba's agent going to want for his #1 pairing defenseman ? What's Wheeler going to want ? Chevy has his work cut out for him that's for sure .

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So who is the coach instead of Maurice? We know for sure that Maurice is not going to have the top 6 as you put them here.

I can take over anytime.

Seriously

He will need to do that eventually.

The potential of ESL line
80/100/100 points :)

I gave Little another shot at2C with wingers that suit him better.

If not need to find another guy.
Roslo is 2 years away physically.

Looks like Stastny have a bad taste in his mouth losing in the wcf.
He hinted he might come back so thats good.

Reactions: Ippenator

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I can take over anytime.

Seriously

He will need to do that eventually.

The potential of ESL line
80/100/100 points :)

I gave Little another shot at2C with wingers that suit him better.

If not need to find another guy.
Roslo is 2 years away physically.

Looks like Stastny have a bad taste in his mouth losing in the wcf.
He hinted he might come back so thats good.

If Stastny doesn’t want to stay Chevy should try to trade for RNH or look at Thornton as a FA.... But most of all I hope(besides keeping Stas) Chevy looks towards Tavares(who knows, maybe he take a pay cut to make a Superteam or something like that or maybe with the expanding Cap size and players taking hometown discounts we can fit him in), trying never hurts.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Chevy can get rid of Little, Mason and Kulikov I’d be the happiest man on Earth.

If we have the cap space for it, I would not be so quick to get rid of Mason. Sure he had a disappointing year, and was injured through much of it, but he is due for a bounce back year, health permitting. It really scares me to think of the Jets having Comrie as the main backup goalie. Mason only has one year left on his contract, so it could give Berdin time to mature.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If we have the cap space for it, I would not be so quick to get rid of Mason. Sure he had a disappointing year, and was injured through much of it, but he is due for a bounce back year, health permitting. It really scares me to think of the Jets having Comrie as the main backup goalie. Mason only has one year left on his contract, so it could give Berdin time to mature.

There are probably much better and cheaper backup options waiting the Free Agency...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Chevy can get rid of Little, Mason and Kulikov I’d be the happiest man on Earth.
I'll give you each is probably overpaid for what they brought last season, but for players under contract Little is the 2nd best center in the organization, Kulikov is the 2nd best LHD and Mason is the 2nd best goalie heading into 2018-19. Little has a full NMC and hasn't even started his new deal yet. There is 0% chance he is moved. I think it is very likely he has a bounce back year if he is given a better fit on his wings. With Kulikov and Mason's injury problems last season there will be few takers and we would likely have to hold onto salary to move them. Nothing kills cap space like paying part of a players salary to play for another team. Better to hope they stay healthy as they both can play important roles.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There are probably much better and cheaper backup options waiting the Free Agency...
Free agency isn't where teams go bargain shopping, especially if you have to eat salary in a trade or buy out your current back up. And either way a healthy Mason would be more than a quality back up. His career numbers would place him as a low end starter or a high end back up. Just what we would be looking for in a UFA. He wouldn't be the first goalie to bounce back after pretty much losing a season to injuries.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'll give you each is probably overpaid for what they brought last season, but for players under contract Little is the 2nd best center in the organization, Kulikov is the 2nd best LHD and Mason is the 2nd best goalie heading into 2018-19. Little has a full NMC and hasn't even started his new deal yet. There is 0% chance he is moved. I think it is very likely he has a bounce back year if he is given a better fit on his wings. With Kulikov and Mason's injury problems last season there will be few takers and we would likely have to hold onto salary to move them. Nothing kills cap space like paying part of a players salary to play for another team. Better to hope they stay healthy as they both can play important roles.

It says on Cap Friendly he submits a 14 team no trade list(it doesn’t have a starting date on it though, so I assumed he was tradable to 17 other teams)...

Reactions: ocdaddy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really don't get why people want to move guys like Myers, little and pereault so badly. We have a chance to ice the exact team as this season (minus stastny) that was on pace for second place anyways before the deadline. That's a hell of an opportunity to keep a winning club together; that rarely happens to teams.

If need be make a move at the deadline similar to this season, but no need to start a big shakeup. I'd be more than happy if nothing but the expected re-signings happen this summer
I would keep Perreault next season, and they can't move Little, nor should they.

I think they need more punch at C if they want to go on a deep run. They wouldn't have beaten the Preds without Stastny, in my opinion.

I think Myers could bring good value in a trade, and he's our 3rd pairing RD. I think Poolman is a good option at RD on the 3rd pair. So, I think it makes sense to move Myers in a deal that gets a good 2/3 C. Jets might need to add, depending on the quality and contract status.

How about Myers+Armia/Perreault for RNH + 2nd, or something like that? Oilers really need RD and more skill on the wings. RNH is behind McDavid and Draisaitl at C. RNH fills the C need for the Jets nicely in the short term, and could be moved easily in a year or two if there is a cap crunch.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-RNH-Laine
Copp-Little-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Armia

Depth: Dano(?), Petan, Appleton, Lemieux, Vesalainen, Spacek

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Morrow-Poolman

Depth: Chiarot, Niku

Jets would need to add another D or two as depth.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get the criticism of Little, especially after his year, the playoffs he had and his contract. But when I hear the same people waxing on about Stastny and what they would be willing to pay to sign him, I wonder what the hell they've been watching the past 3-4 years.

I like Stastny, I'd like to see him back if possible and not too costly (not happening I know), but people know he's basically Bryan Little with a touch more offense......right?

Did you mean he's Brian Little with a touch less offense. Outside of this season Little has outscored him by a decent amount.

I think Little bounces back as well. Maybe not to a 60 plus point giluy but I see him in the mid 50's next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->