World Cup: Who will make the KO Stage?

Who will make the KO Stage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
To say Canada will have an uphill battle to make it out of the group is an understatement, but hope springs eternal. I haven't seen the US play in ages, so I have no concept of their ability, but anyways how they measured against CONCACAF opponents isn't the best guideline for how they'll do against the rest of the world. That said, their group strikes me as much more playable than Canada's and I'd say their chance to make it out is higher, but I wouldn't put money on it, whereas I would consider doing so on Canada, if only because it's in line with my hopes.. and the payout would be more worth the risk :)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Heart definitely believes Canada can make the knockout stage.

Head...we won't go there ;)

Canada is in a very tough group. It's hard to see where the points will come from.

Reactions: al secord

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’d guess neither. That US back line is worse than most defensively and Canada has a rough group where they are clearly the fourth best team.

Reactions: luiginb

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
US only because of the group, don’t think it’s that challenging at all. They will somehow scrape through (similar to 2010) with no convincing performances

I think Canada’s order of fixtures hurt them, I know Belgium is probably on the down but I still think that’s a loss for Canada and it’s tough to get out after losing the first game

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
US only because of the group, don’t think it’s that challenging at all. They will somehow scrape through (similar to 2010) with no convincing performances

I think Canada’s order of fixtures hurt them, I know Belgium is probably on the down but I still think that’s a loss for Canada and it’s tough to get out after losing the first game

Iran and Wales look weaker than they have been in recent iterations, but both should be well organized against the ball and could take advantage of an underwhelming american defense to catch them out.

...but I tend to agree with this. The US should advance and I won't even be surprised if England lost the group to them, but I'm not expecting them to impress too much because of those defensive concerns; despite the midfield / creative talent they've got now.

I predict USA finish 1st in their group with 7 points. Then go on to lose to Senegal in the round of 16.

With Mane injured; I've got Ecuador & the Netherlands finishing ahead of Senegal...but otherwise I can certainly see this.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Canada got boned by the draw. Being a Pot 4 team really screwed them.

Iran is really being underestimated.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Iran and Wales look weaker than they have been in recent iterations, but both should be well organized against the ball and could take advantage of an underwhelming american defense to catch them out.
Wales is especially bad this time around. Highly doubt we see anything close to the 2016 Euro magic.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

...but I tend to agree with this. The US should advance and I won't even be surprised if England lost the group to them, but I'm not expecting them to impress too much because of those defensive concerns; despite the midfield / creative talent they've got now.

With Mane injured; I've got Ecuador & the Netherlands finishing ahead of Senegal...but otherwise I can certainly see this.

And I just wanted to clear up, I have no delusions with the USMNT's status at the moment. This is arguably the worst GK, CB, and Striker crop they have brough to a WC this millennium. I am just very bearish on England as well. I expect a lot of disjointed and ugly soccer in this group.

With regards to Mane, I thought it looks like he will be able to play? Perhaps back to 100% by the knockouts. I could be misremembering what I read.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
US team isn’t good yet, but Wales and Iran are worse, and England is a wildcard. England could win the tournament or implode. USA will advance from the group, but likely go no further than that.

Canada has done well against good teams with their tactics. They have a good coach and a few difference makers offensively, but I think the group will be too tough for them to advance.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
US team isn’t good yet, but Wales and Iran are worse, and England is a wildcard. England could win the tournament or implode. USA will advance from the group, but likely go no further than that.

Canada has done well against good teams with their tactics. They have a good coach and a few difference makers offensively, but I think the group will be too tough for them to advance.

lol

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
At this point, Croatia scares me more than Belgium. Obviously, the Belgian midfield is going to be a handful, but their back line is old and slow. We should be able to expose it and get some solid scoring opportunities.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Interesting you got Ecuador. Curious why you think they get through.

At this point, Croatia scares me more than Belgium. Obviously, the Belgian midfield is going to be a handful, but their back line is old and slow. We should be able to expose it and get some solid scoring opportunities.
I would agree but with Davies out (was he confirmed out) that limits what you have. David and Buchanan will be fine but I don’t know if they’re good enough to get by that Belgian defense and I really don’t think that Canada backline can contain the Belgian attack.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I would agree but with Davies out (was he confirmed out) that limits what you have. David and Buchanan will be fine but I don’t know if they’re good enough to get by that Belgian defense and I really don’t think that Canada backline can contain the Belgian attack.
Davies is likely not missing anytime. It's not certain but it sounds like he will be in the first game on the 23rd.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Davies is likely not missing anytime. It's not certain but it sounds like he will be in the first game on the 23rd.
Ah I don’t know why I thought he was out the World Cup. I like it a bit more but I still feel like it will be Davies, David, and Buchanan trying to outscore that Belgian attack and I don’t love that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think losing Mane hurts Senegal a lot, while Ecuador has a very solid team with all of their key players fit & in good form.

Look at their last World Cup and Euros result.

Exactly. Even with everything going their way they still couldn’t win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad