Who Will Lead Rookie D-men In Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Zidlicky, no question about it.

Minutes, age, experience and the team he plays on...

But I dont think he is calder eligible anymore. He should put up the most points out of rookie defensemen though.

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Gags1288 said:
That's because Pitkanen's a much better player. If you saw Martin at all in preseason (which I did during two games), you would have seen a kid who didn't look like he was anything special. I'm not saying that he won't be good, he just isn't right now. Also, is he on the team? I thought Hale had the inside track. Pitkanen will get tons of pp time and a lot of ice time in general. The only thing that could hurt him is the amount of goals that the flyers score, which is why he may not be the highest scoring rookie defenseman.
Pitkanen might be a better player overall, but I think the question was which rookie D-man would score the most points this year, not who was better. Paul might have not looked good to you in the two games you saw him but he has looked great in the 50+ Gopher games I've seen him in. Yeah, the WCHA is not the NHL, but what has Joni done to prove to be better? Nothing in the NHL. Basing it on their situations, like what I was trying to do, Paul Martin is in the better situation. He made the team, the Stanley Cup Champions I might add, and that's all he has been asked to do. Flyer fans have him surpassing Paul Coffey in his third year, and that's not going to happen. This kid won't be able to pick his nose :) without someone trying to put that booger in a jar and study it. Bobby Clarke is probably expecting 40 pts out of him and Lou Lam is probably expecting 14 pts out of Martin, maybe less. Totally different situations. Rookies + high pressure, usually = rough road.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
IMO the two this would come down to is Pitkanen and Daley (if he stays up). I would say Joni Pitkanen will lead rookie d-men in points, he is so in control of the game all the time and is able to take over a game from the back end which is a talent not too many have. He plays great defense but when comming down the ice his slick puck skills, great skating, vision and positioning and smarts allow him to create alot of offense every time he has the puck. I am a big Bouwmeester fan but I think if there is anyone with the talent to surpass Bouwmeester as the potential top d-man of the future in the NHL then I would say it is him.

But I think he will be the leader of points among rookie defensemen this year, with all that skill he is very poised and mature for his age as well which will help him adapt to the league this year better than most.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I meanis Paul Martin really going to play the PP in front of Neidermayer and Rafalski...?

I kinda doubt it...

and 5 on 5 the expectations of the kid have to be even lower....

He might be a real good defenceman one day but he's not there yet and I am ure they'll send him down so that they do't stunt his growth...

in the meantime he's a 5, 6th D-man with 2nd PP time....Nothing to exciting in your Rookie year...as long as his rookie year lasts....

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Qubax said:
I meanis Paul Martin really going to play the PP in front of Neidermayer and Rafalski...?

I kinda doubt it...

and 5 on 5 the expectations of the kid have to be even lower....

He might be a real good defenceman one day but he's not there yet and I am ure they'll send him down so that they do't stunt his growth...

in the meantime he's a 5, 6th D-man with 2nd PP time....Nothing to exciting in your Rookie year...as long as his rookie year lasts....

Niedermayer and Rafalski were split up last night and Martin played on the first pp with Niedermayer.

#37-#93-#27*

#37-#93-#27 said:
Jillson really impressed me against the Rangers so I'll pick him. Made one of the best moves I've ever seen any rookie do that game, spun around Rucinsky and rifled a shot top shelf about 30 feet out.
Two goals in his first game. Not bad. :yo:

Cowboy

Jul 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I'm gonna go with Bergeron. He will get lots of PP time (thats the reason he made the team), he got an assist last night and was on for the oilers last 4 goals of the night.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Pitkanen, M A bergeron and Zidlicky get a point in their first game..i just happened to flip the channel to the nashville game just in time....zidlicky got one hell of an assist on their 3rd goal..IFhe plays like this all the time i think he will be top 10 defencemen this year in points....anyone watch pitkanen play? how did he play? i watched a bit of the oilers game( only watched about 15 minutes) and the few times i noticed Bergeron he was making quick crisp passes or blasting the puck at net so hard that the goalie was giving up the rebound..defensively he also seemed to hit given the chance i think he'll get at least 35 points this year.. just my hunch. ...darn too many games played at once ..hard to catch em all at once :D

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Cowboy said:
I'm gonna go with Bergeron. He will get lots of PP time (thats the reason he made the team), he got an assist last night and was on for the oilers last 4 goals of the night.
I agree thats why he made the team, but i also heard people think size is his shortfall...thus people think he must be poor definsively, his coach was saying hes not as small as people think he is and is a very strong player.... i hope to watch him more soon so i can judge for myself :)

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HOCKEY_GURU said:
Pitkanen, M A bergeron and Zidlicky get a point in their first game..i just happened to flip the channel to the nashville game just in time....zidlicky got one hell of an assist on their 3rd goal..IFhe plays like this all the time i think he will be top 10 defencemen this year in points....anyone watch pitkanen play? how did he play? i watched a bit of the oilers game( only watched about 15 minutes) and the few times i noticed Bergeron he was making quick crisp passes or blasting the puck at net so hard that the goalie was giving up the rebound..defensively he also seemed to hit given the chance i think he'll get at least 35 points this year.. just my hunch. ...darn too many games played at once ..hard to catch em all at once :D

I was at the flyers game and it was the third time that i've seen him play. His assist was on the pp, he had a real nice shot that went right to recchi who shot it into the open net. He could have had a few more points as he made an unbelievable pass to recchi who couldn't convert. He also made a great play to catch up to Amonte and make it a 2 on 1, but Amonte missed the net. He was a little nervous for his first game, but the talent is there and evident. He's going to get a lot of pp points, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad