Who will have the best career (Kessel/Seguin/Hamilton)

Best Career

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I was thinking about the Kessel trade today (Leafs fan so it's not rubbing it in) and deciding who actually will go down as the greater player, Phil vs Seguin. When Seguin was looking like a potential art ross guy in Dallas I thought he would, easily. When you add in Phil's clutch cup runs, combined with his near PPG average in TO, and everything else it's probably him right now for me. Then I remembered Dougie Hamilton was the other Leaf draft pick, and while it might be tough for him to enter the conversation.... If he keeps his play at this level for another 5 years and contends for Norris' then it's even more interesting.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
2 Stanley cups, monster playoffs, 92 point season

barring dougie doesn’t win a cup and a Norris or two it’s kessel

seguin (while still good) is overrated imo

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Seguin has 13 goals in 88 playoff games. And his best days look to be behind him.

Hamilton is a beast but hasn't really translated that into any amazing accomplishments yet.

So its Kessel

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kessels was the best player in the deal. The problem was the Leafs failed to put him with a center and a team for him to succeed.

Leafs got the best player, but it was still an all around bad trade. The could have used the picks to rebuild at the time.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
What clinched Kessel over Seguin was how piss poor Seguin was for the Stars cup run. They could have won it all if he was good.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kessel's been the best player, and while you can argue the others may have had superior 'peak' seasons, Kessels' longevity, playoff success, and role in said playoff success sets him apart.

Reactions: Menzinger

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Kessel was mishandled in Toronto from the start. Burke misjudged the talent of the team thinking Kessel was their missing piece to a contender. It wouldn’t have been so bad if he was right and were handing over a couple of 20th overall picks. Instead he had to live up to a couple of high draft picks.

What was actually just as bad the spineless management team gave into the press and started trotting out Kessel and Pheanuf to the media. They are good hockey players but they might be two of the dumbest jackasses in the NHL and the Leafs made them represent the franchise to the world. I think this was the main reason the Leafs had to pay Kessel to win Cups for the Pens.

On just talent Kessel is the best of the 3.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Kessel was mishandled in Toronto from the start. Burke misjudged the talent of the team thinking Kessel was their missing piece to a contender. It wouldn’t have been so bad if he was right and were handing over a couple of 20th overall picks. Instead he had to live up to a couple of high draft picks.

What was actually just as bad the spineless management team gave into the press and started trotting out Kessel and Pheanuf to the media. They are good hockey players but they might be two of the dumbest jackasses in the NHL and the Leafs made them represent the franchise to the world. I think this was the main reason the Leafs had to pay Kessel to win Cups for the Pens.

On just talent Kessel is the best of the 3.
Kessel was a beast here. Loved him the entire time. I don't see it as the failure most others do. He was our best player for 6 seasons and had Toronto hung on vs Boston, who knows.

Reactions: TS Quint

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If prime Kessel (24-27) had been on a good team (like the Pens) instead of a tire fire Leafs organization he would have had some monster offensive seasons.

He's also a proven beast in the playoffs on a cup winning team.

That's not a slight on the other two, who are indeed fanatic players in their own right, Kessel has just been better.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Phil. 2 Cup wins, both where he was a huge part of those teams. Is going to hit 400 goals + 1000 points. Longevity.

Phil the Thrill is the answer.

Reactions: Menzinger

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kessel was a beast here. Loved him the entire time. I don't see it as the failure most others do. He was our best player for 6 seasons and had Toronto hung on vs Boston, who knows.

They obviously did not want him around for Marner Matthews Nylander and the rest to develop his bad habits.

Great player on the ice, but Toronto was trying to build a serious work ethic mindset in their young players.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Kessel projects to have the best career but even then it’s close between Seguin and Hamilton.

At the end of the day though, Kessel is NOT worth both Seguin and Hamilton.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kessel projects to have the best career but even then it’s close between Seguin and Hamilton.

At the end of the day though, Kessel is NOT worth both Seguin and Hamilton.

Your first comment is correct.........Kessel will have the best career.

Your second comment is irrelevant, as that's not what this poll asks.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Kessels was the best player in the deal. The problem was the Leafs failed to put him with a center and a team for him to succeed.

Leafs got the best player, but it was still an all around bad trade. The could have used the picks to rebuild at the time.

The Leafs never owned the rights to Seguin or Hamilton.
They always had the best player, as they had the only player of the 3.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Boston would have won that trade if they hung onto Seguin and Hamilton. Instead they traded them for underwhelming returns, giving the Leafs a come from behind win of the trade.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
What clinched Kessel over Seguin was how piss poor Seguin was for the Stars cup run. They could have won it all if he was good.
Seguin was playing injured and needed surgery right after the playoffs ended

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Lmao wow maybe Burke was right

Looking at this right now, it’s hard to make an argument against Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad