Who Will Give Jones His First (Real) Loss?

Who Will Give Jones His First (Real) Loss?

• Total voters

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Was thinking about this one the other day, tough call.

I almost think we're looking in the wrong place and maybe it ends up being a top guy at 185lb that moves up like Whittaker, Adesanya, or Costa.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Was thinking about this one the other day, tough call.

I almost think we're looking in the wrong place and maybe it ends up being a top guy at 185lb that moves up like Whittaker, Adesanya, or Costa.

Adesanya and Costa are still somewhat unproven, and Whittaker does not really match up well.

People need to understand that Jones has a big thing going for him, and that is his incredible reach control. That reach helps him dictate the fight.

The one guy I was really interested in seeing him fight was Anthony Johnsson, because he was an aggressive striker and possibly had the best KO power in that division. Rumble did lose to DC, but that was more because DC went full wrestling mode with him, and having that smaller body frame helped him get low on Rumble to take him down. Jones on the other hand is a longer guy and definitely not as good as a wrestler compared to DC, and we saw what Rumble did to Gustafsson, who seems to have a similar body type to Jones.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Adesanya and Costa are still somewhat unproven, and Whittaker does not really match up well.

People need to understand that Jones has a big thing going for him, and that is his incredible reach control. That reach helps him dictate the fight.

The one guy I was really interested in seeing him fight was Anthony Johnsson, because he was an aggressive striker and possibly had the best KO power in that division. Rumble did lose to DC, but that was more because DC went full wrestling mode with him, and having that smaller body frame helped him get low on Rumble to take him down. Jones on the other hand is a longer guy and definitely not as good as a wrestler compared to DC, and we saw what Rumble did to Gustafsson, who seems to have a similar body type to Jones.

I thought about Rumble, but I think he only comes back at HW and it doesn't seem that Jones will be making that move anytime soon. I also think Jones wrestling advantage is better than you think and he'll take Rumble down and finish him very easily.

I don't really like anyone's chances at beating Jones in the next couple years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think the real question isn't who will give him his first real loss, but when will he get his first real win without the aid of PEDs...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Someone is still bitter.

Nah. MMA and the UFC is better with Jones than without. But I'll still take the opportunity to call him a cheat whenever he's brought up because that's his history. Felt the same way about Vitor Belfort and his TRT exceptions.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Depends on how long he fights. Father Time catches up with everybody, but if we're talking about the next year or 2, I don't think anybody does. The only guys that wouldn't totally surprise me would be Stipe, if Cain comes back healthy, maybe Yoel.

Reactions: m9

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Bones would smash Brock today; prime Brock had a good chance but he doesn't live here anymore.

Don't think DC/Jones happens again.

If Jones goes up to heavyweight, it needs to be again Cain. If Cain comes back and is prime(ish) Cain, those are the two scariest humans in UFC history.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The only person who has any potential at this point IMO is Dominick Reyes, he's still kinda raw though and needs to fight more. Unfortunately though, with how thin LHW is, he could very likely be fighting for the title after 1-2 fights. He's looked promising so far, Jones is just an animal though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only person who has any potential at this point IMO is Dominick Reyes, he's still kinda raw though and needs to fight more. Unfortunately though, with how thin LHW is, he could very likely be fighting for the title after 1-2 fights. He's looked promising so far, Jones is just an animal though.
Yeah, I think Reyes is getting shot to the top a little too quickly. He's skilled and athletic, but he only has 10 MMA fights in his career (4 in the UFC). I don't think he's ready for Jon Jones. Kind of reminds me of an even less experienced Kevin Lee. He's talented enough to beat the top guys, but I'm not sure he's experienced enough.

Stylebender for comparison, had 10 MMA fights before he even came to the UFC. Plus he had quite a bit of boxing/kickboxing experience.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
If someone will beat him, it will be D C ... or another new fighter.

But i think that he has no intention to go up to the heavy weight. (so forget about Cain or Stipe)
And IMO, he better stays in his weight. (i think he knows it)

his legs are too slim ... he'll be brought down like a small tree.
if i would fight him, i would low kick his legs, under the knees. the calves. He doesn't like it. And it is very slim ... !! (DC ! read this please !! i love DC)

I would go for DC ... in the last superfight ... but hwo knows ... Jones is good.
or maybe he'll be unbeaten and will retire like that ... who knows ?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'd love for Yoel to go up and give it a shot. Honestly as much as I hate Jones, it's hard to see anybody beating him right now, but mma changes so f***ing fast. It'll probably be someone no one is seeing coming, or that everyone has completely written off. Jon Jones is f***ing good, and the LHW division leaves something to be desired.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If someone will beat him, it will be D C ... or another new fighter.

But i think that he has no intention to go up to the heavy weight. (so forget about Cain or Stipe)
And IMO, he better stays in his weight. (i think he knows it)

his legs are too slim ... he'll be brought down like a small tree.
if i would fight him, i would low kick his legs, under the knees. the calves. He doesn't like it. And it is very slim ... !! (DC ! read this please !! i love DC)

I would go for DC ... in the last superfight ... but hwo knows ... Jones is good.
or maybe he'll be unbeaten and will retire like that ... who knows ?
The one advantage I'd give Jones against Cain, Stipe, or any of the other HWs (besides just being so good), is how wild he is. Most HW's are use to wrestling and boxing. They don't see a ton of kicks, flying knees, elbows, etc. that Jones throws. Plus, he's just as tall, if not taller, than most of the HW. Thinner, sure, but reach and distance-wise he matches up well.

I agree, though. If he's not going to go up to HW to face DC, a guy he's beat twice, has the belt, and what would be a monster payday, I can't imagine he'd go up to fight Cain or Stipe any time soon.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Cain just came out and said that if Jones doesn't have the trilogy fight with DC, he'd want to fight him. Not sure what weight it would take place at, I don't think Jon has any interest in moving to HW unless it's to fight Brock and get a payday. Not sure if Cain can successfully make LHW and still be effective...would be nice to see though. The AKA boys are coming after Jon lol, Luke recently called him out too

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cain just came out and said that if Jones doesn't have the trilogy fight with DC, he'd want to fight him. Not sure what weight it would take place at, I don't think Jon has any interest in moving to HW unless it's to fight Brock and get a payday. Not sure if Cain can successfully make LHW and still be effective...would be nice to see though. The AKA boys are coming after Jon lol, Luke recently called him out too

Luke did whatever is the opposite of a callout, telling him to leave the division and go fight DC.

Love this from Cain, this is what I wanted to hear from Rockhold.

Reactions: pistolpete11

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It's either going to be Reyes or a middleweight contender.

I like Reyes, because I think the best way to beat Jones is to outstrike him at long range. That's where Jones is less dangerous and where his wrestling is less effective. So, it has to be someone rangy.

Tho, realistically, it's probably going to be some big middleweight, because LHW is garbage and Middleweight is less garbage.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Just saw this. Love it. I really appreciate the loyalty at AKA. In terms of where this fight takes place, it's HW, plain and simple. Zero question that's the only way it does (and should) happen. Jones has no obligation to move to HW, that's completely up to him, but if a fight with Cain gets seriously discussed, HW is where it has to be.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Just saw this. Love it. I really appreciate the loyalty at AKA. In terms of where this fight takes place, it's HW, plain and simple. Zero question that's the only way it does (and should) happen. Jones has no obligation to move to HW, that's completely up to him, but if a fight with Cain gets seriously discussed, HW is where it has to be.
I'd like to see it at HW as well. But Jones is in the GOAT conversation and he's gonna be the one with more leverage / calling the shots. Especially since Dana is always in his corner and he's got drawing power.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I don’t think Jones loses to any of he older guys mentioned.... Brock, Cain, Luke, DC. What they hold over most guys, experience, they don’t really have on Jon.

I’m imagining Greg Hardy ripping through some prospects and beating a big name along the way and well see one between these 2. That would sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->