Speculation: Who will get the now available alternate captain spot?

Who gets the second "A"?

• Total voters

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Carlson. Not only is he home-grown, but he's the leader of the defense, without question now. I know Orpik was a great leader and professional but he never had the talent JC has who I believe is an elite defenseman. We can get into semantics but JC74 is a top 10 defenseman. I know Oshie is guts and glory but Carlson deserves it as well.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I actually hope it's Carlson. He needs to take on more leadership responsibility now with 2 and 44 gone.
He will. I remember Trotz stating a few offseasons ago he wanted Carlson to take on more of a leadership role and IMO it seemed like he did, especially in the cup run. Orpik was clearly a mentor to him in that regard during his 5 years here.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
It’s always possible they alternate between Carly and Oshie - I’m pretty sure they’ve done this on occasion when Orpik was out on LTIR before. But I’d guess it’ll be Carlson for the reasons outline above.

I’d also guess the ‘A’ depth chart, so to speak, now looks something like:
Backstrom
Carlson

Oshie
Wilson
Eller/Kuzy/Hagelin

Because it’s really hard to imagine Orlov, Kempny, Gudas, Sieg, Djoos or Jensen getting a letter outside of preseason, even for just a game. Whereas last year you had Carlson and Niskanen as D worthy of wearing a letter in place of Orpik.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
It’s always possible they alternate between Carly and Oshie - I’m pretty sure they’ve done this on occasion when Orpik was out on LTIR before. But I’d guess it’ll be Carlson for the reasons outline above.

I’d also guess the ‘A’ depth chart, so to speak, now looks something like:
Backstrom
Carlson

Oshie
Wilson
Eller/Kuzy/Hagelin

Because it’s really hard to imagine Orlov, Kempny, Gudas, Sieg, Djoos or Jensen getting a letter outside of preseason, even for just a game. Whereas last year you had Carlson and Niskanen as D worthy of wearing a letter in place of Orpik.
I'd remove Kuzy from that list if I'm honest

Reactions: HecticGlow

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I picked Wilson. No surprise for me, but I'm fine with Oshie or Carlson too. Carlson's position and Cap's status will most likely be it.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Re: Carlson and leadership...I remember reading that Bowey picked #74 in Detroit as a tribute to Carlson for what a mentor he had been to him. Thought that was pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad