Who will Draft D in the 1st round?

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Theres not alot of D-man projected to be drafted in the 1st round, but there are teams in need of D. We all know by now St.Louis will draft E. Johnson, but what other teams will be looking for a D-man in the 1st round?

I think after Johnson goes teh next D-man will drop to Vancouver, last year they drafted Bourdon and i think they will go after another D-man.

I can also see:
Colorado (They really need to get some D prospects, Picking up Vernace is a start but now they need to draft a couple to) (Possible pick: Summers, Willams, Wishart)
Detroit (They have good D prospects but i really do think they will go with a D-man in the 1st round)(Possible pick: Joey Ryan, Dennis Persson, Ivan Veshnevsky)
Philly (maybe)(Possible pick: Yuri Alexandrov, Joey Ryan, Dennis Persson)
Washington (with one of there later picks in the 1st)(Possible pick: Mark Miltera, Joey Ryan, Mathieau Carle)
Wild (with the oiler pick probably)(Possible pick: Summers, Willams, Wishart)

Last edited:

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
The Devils. They've got tons of prospect depth at the forward position, and very little depth on defense. Lou generally drafts the BPA, but I imagine his first preference would be to draft a defenseman.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Last time the Sharks went D in the first round was 1999 with Jeff Jillson so maybe they're due. (Possible selections: Nigel Williams, Mark Mitera, Joey Ryan, Carl Sneep, Chris Summers)

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
knight44 said:
Washington (with one of there later picks in the 1st)(Possible pick: Mark Miltera, Joey Ryan, Mathieau Carle)
I could see the Caps taking another D man with the 22/23 pick...but I also wouldnt be surprised to see them take either another center or maybe a RW forward since they have taken 10 Dmen in the past two drafts.

Id think they might be high on some of the NTDP guys like Strait, McBain, or Summers. College players seem to be a target for Mafki in his most recent drafting tendencies (Pokoluk, Finley, and Thomas last season..and signing Jamie Hunt before the end of the NHL season).

At the same time this could the draft to load up on centers...something the system is lacking right now. If someone like Matthais or Ryan White is sitting there they might think hard about taking a potential 2nd line center to compliment the #4 pick, whoever that might be (hopefully Toews).

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Wings haven't taken anything other than a defenseman in the first since 92, I think. No reason to think it will change now, no matter how silly it is.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I am with wabwat in thinking the Kings will grab a Dman. I think the only way they take a forward is if Frolik is on the board.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo may look defense, depending on who's available and how they have guys rated of course. If they have guys close in their ratings, I'd expect them to go with the blueliner if it comes down to it. They have plenty of depth type guys and a few long-shot mid-to-late rounders, but at the moment the cupoboard is pretty barren in terms of high-end "sure thing" types.

Goallum

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
wabwat said:
i wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings take a defenseman.
Only if they trade down. Lombardi has stated that he always takes the BPA, and unless EJ falls to #11 (i.e., under no circumstances) will the BPA at the #11 spot be a defenseman.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I think Anaheim is an excellent candidate. The Ducks system is heavy up front and light on the blue line and between the pipes. While I doubt they'd bite for a goalie in the first round, a defenseman is a possibility. After Smid, the picture is murky.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota does have a need for a defenseman with Thelen being a questionable prospect. But we do have Burns, Schultz, Belle, Stoner, Stokes, Reitz all coming up, so I'm not exactly worried about our defense. But a defenseman from the 30th overall pick or the 17th overall pick would be fine.

X-SHARKIE

Patty Ice said:
Last time the Sharks went D in the first round was 1999 with Jeff Jillson so maybe they're due. (Possible selections: Nigel Williams, Mark Mitera, Joey Ryan, Carl Sneep, Chris Summers)

Yeah and that's where I feal they will go. We have Cheechoo,Thornton,Marleau already and Bernier & Michalek are about to become that caliber of a player. Goc is solid as well, not to mention Setoguchi,Kaspar, Hennessey, Pavelski on the way.

I say the Sharks are going to pick a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->