Who will be the rookie of the year in the NHL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Fleury is sent back, Caron is still elligible. [/homerism]

Is Zidlicky elligible? He may be a dark horse. But my pick would be Pitkanen or Sejna.

Munchausen

Ford Prefect said:
looks like he is going to take the mantle of #1 QB on the power play this year.

Huh... You might want to put Markov and Brisebois ahead of him for that role, though he should get his fair share too.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pitkanen
Sejna
Fleury

In that order for me. But I recall hearing just a few days ago on ESPN I think during a recap that Spezza is still eligible. If so, he will run away with it IMO.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Spezza's played too many games.

Once again surprise that nobody has mentioned Kobasew. Do people not know that a team exists in Calgary? This kid is older and more mature than a lot of the players mentioned here (Staal, Michalek, Fleury, etc.) I can't recall the last time an 18 year old was in the running for the Calder, it's usually the players who have developed for a few years in college, europe or the minors who make the most impact in their first season.

I think the fact NOBODY mentioned Kobasew is quite embarassing. He should be among the favourites due to his age, maturity and experience (played college, major junior AND has a year of pro hockey already under his belt including a solid season in the AHL.) Not to mention he looks like he's got the 2nd line RW spot locked down. I'm sure he'll get his due recognition in time from the posters of this board...

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Boomhower said:
Jason Spezza.......I'm pretty sure he still qualifies as a rookie, so that would be my pick.

Dustin Brown would be my darkhorse pick....he was great against the wings and with LA's history of injury problems Brown has a good shot at staying in the show.

i'm going with dustin brown... but that's my homer pick! i saw him at the prospects camp, and after a coupla games now... he's really something... especially for an 18 year old.

that being said, fleury has got to be the best bet. he looked amazing against the kings in his debut (with the exception of getting schooled on a short hander 40 seconds in). he's quick, and definitely has got to have the best stick in the game. and remember... after him, there really isn't anyone in the Pen's pen so's he's gots to be the man in order for them to have any sort of success. no other rookie will have as much responsibility as he will all season. so whether great or good, it'll be looked at as a remarkable season for him. resulting in those "other intangibles, given pittsburgh's circumstances, grade on a curve" votes...

...me thinks

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Ford Prefect said:
This isn' meant to sound like a homer pick, but both Ron Hainsey and especially Michael Ryder have been very strong to open the season. Ryder had 7 shots in last night's game and scored his first NHL goal. He has easily been Montreal's best forward so far (that's not saying much, I know) and has shown incredible intensity and willingness to pay the price in the crease. Last night he was moved to the first power play unit and provided a great screen on the Perrault goal. In Montreal's 5-2 loss to Ottawa, Hainsey had his first goal and managed to finish with a +1. He was great last night and looks like he is going to take the mantle of #1 QB on the power play this year. I think both will garner some attention, especially if they continue to play as they have.

It's pretty tough to disagree here. I can't deny Micheal Ryder has been absolutely amazing. He was everywhere on the ice, and had a ton of scoring opportunities (he even scored his 1st NHL goal last night, add that to 7 shots on goal). I probably wouldn't have even thought about him 1 month ago for that Calder Race, but if management keeps on giving him quality ice time, and occasionnal PP ice time, he may very well be a candidate for the rookie of the year. I think Miettinen will win in, though.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Im not a Stars fan so dont think im a Homer by saying this but Miettinen is probably the most NHL ready rookie this year. He was MVP of the Finnish Elite League and is only 24 so he wont be brushed over because of his age.

Some peopel seem to be under rating him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
Im not a Stars fan so dont think im a Homer by saying this but Miettinen is probably the most NHL ready rookie this year. He was MVP of the Finnish Elite League and is only 24 so he wont be brushed over because of his age.

Well, since I got shafted in most of my fantasy leagues because I wasn't around to claim guys like Ruutu, I have picked him in many a keeper league. So I hope you're right.:D

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I can't recall the last time an 18 year old was in the running for the Calder,

Did you forget about Nash last year...? ;) :D

I see what you are saying though.. Most people want to name this past years draftee's, instead of a more Jackman like candidate.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
La-La-Laprise said:

I don't know if people are underrating him, I just don't think anybody sees him as good of a pick as other players because Miettinen will probably only get third line time, at most. Guys like Ruutu and Pitkanen seem like better choices because they should get a lot more ice time than Miettinen, although I agree with you that Miettinen is probably one of the most NHL ready rookies this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
flyers guy said:
I don't know if people are underrating him, I just don't think anybody sees him as good of a pick as other players because Miettinen will probably only get third line time, at most. Guys like Ruutu and Pitkanen seem like better choices because they should get a lot more ice time than Miettinen, although I agree with you that Miettinen is probably one of the most NHL ready rookies this year.

True, but Zetterberg only played about 13 mins a game last year. Miettinen i expect to be around the same. Plus he is playing on a very good line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad