Who will be the rookie of the year in the NHL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Some say Pitkanen

And I'm one of them. He should have a very good +/- this year

Fleury...but i want Horton to win!

I didn't get to watch the entire Pitt game, but Fleury looked very, very good. The man probably slept in the jacuzzi though after facing that many shots.

I read someplace where Dudley said Horton was going to be sent down, no matter what. I found it interesting because he said it before training camp even opened up. All I am saying is give him a chance.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
Sejna has to be the favourite.

Mike Ryder and Ron Hainsey will play the majority of the season with the Habs, though. Both are also older than the average "rookie".

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Jason Spezza.......I'm pretty sure he still qualifies as a rookie, so that would be my pick.

Dustin Brown would be my darkhorse pick....he was great against the wings and with LA's history of injury problems Brown has a good shot at staying in the show.

jacksheit

Oct 9, 2003
Ft.McMurray
Visit site
I read someplace where Dudley said Horton was going to be sent down, no matter what.
The panthers need the size n grit of Horton. Horton actually kicked wiess outta a job. n last game he played her ended up replacing florida's #2 center.. in his first game!!

spezza
I think he lost his rookie status last year when he played in the playoffs

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Spezza is no longer a "rookie"

Brown is getting fourth line time, for now at least, and with guys like Allison and Deadmarsh out for the time being his playing time doesn't look like it'll get much better.

My picks: Fleury, Sejna, Pitkanen

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
phantompenguin said:
jeez, you're not a homer are you?

He's the worst.

I still think Semin's got a good chance at it if the coach gets his grandaddy's wig out of his ass. I like to see Hainsey's name put up, I don't think he has much chance, but hey what a goal in your first game can do...

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
brown was great against the pens and skated a few shifts with Palffy.

in the 2nd half of the game he was skating on a line with Frolov and it looked like these 2 could develope nicely together for the Kings.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
La-La-Laprise said:
All finnish final:

Pitkanen / Ruutu / Miettinen
Heh that's actually a pretty realistic selection too.. I personally think it'll be between Pitkanen, Ruutu and Sejna. All three project to get really good ice time and get to play on a line with talented veterans. Fleury looked great last night but I'm still hoping they'll send him back to juniors (he's too young for the AHL right?).. I don't think any young guy can handle that many shots night in and night out!

#37-#93-#27*

1. Sejna
2. Ruutu
3. Fleury

I can't see another defenseman winning it specially when comparing them to those 3.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Ruutu is a good pick considering he's been playing against grown men in Finland the last few years. Pitkanen likewise.

Staal is also a good pick. As is Fleury. There are a lot of good looking rookiies out there.

Not to be a homer, but Jacques Lemaire really likes what he's seen of Brent Burns in just 2 games, and has already played him in late game situations. He may see a lot more ice time than Bouchard did last season.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
This isn' meant to sound like a homer pick, but both Ron Hainsey and especially Michael Ryder have been very strong to open the season. Ryder had 7 shots in last night's game and scored his first NHL goal. He has easily been Montreal's best forward so far (that's not saying much, I know) and has shown incredible intensity and willingness to pay the price in the crease. Last night he was moved to the first power play unit and provided a great screen on the Perrault goal. In Montreal's 5-2 loss to Ottawa, Hainsey had his first goal and managed to finish with a +1. He was great last night and looks like he is going to take the mantle of #1 QB on the power play this year. I think both will garner some attention, especially if they continue to play as they have.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Staal will be a great player but I don't think he'll make a huge impact this year despite his preseason. Horton has played great and I think that Horton and Sejna will be close. Horton is going to get 2nd line minutes every night and should score 15-20. He is adjusting to the game now and will get much better. He's already had 3 faboulous scoring chances that he just missed on. Fleury would have to get the Pens close to 500 or finish with a 94% save percentage or higher and a gaa under 2.5. He would have to have great stats on a terrible Pittburg team.

GaborikRules10!!!

Bookmann said:
Not to be a homer, but Jacques Lemaire really likes what he's seen of Brent Burns in just 2 games, and has already played him in late game situations. He may see a lot more ice time than Bouchard did last season.

Boy Jacque is sure high on Burns right not. Hes looked pretty darn good soo far not gonna say hes gonna win the Calder, but hes gonna get alot of ice time while Gabby and Pascal are gone. He got alot of time on the PP agaisnt the Rangers, hel get his share of points. But If I had to pick someone id go with Ruttu from Chicago.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
one thing is for sure - there is a mass infusion of high end rookie talent this season :handclap:

my longshot pick for the award is boyd gordon. he's playing with jagr for now, and seems like he's been able to hang. when nylander gets back, it'll be interesting to see what goes down...but so far, so good.

my top 5 picks otherwise:

fleury
pitkanen
sejna
ruutu
staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad