Speculation: Who will be the next radio 'Voice of the Bruins'?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Given the timeframe I fully expect them to use the preseason games to bring in some people and see if there is a chemistry with Beers.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Tom Caron is a POS ******* who's so bad at his job he can't get out of the NESN market. He so desperately wants to be the big man on campus and he's awful. No. No. No. I wasn't able to stand watching Friday night college hockey with the sound on because of the grating of his awful voice. It will be horrible being forced to listen to it for B's games.

Agree 100%. I was so glad when he moved on from the B's broadcasts several years back. I think he did between periods? Can't stand his voice and demeanor, sorry Tom but that be the way it B!;)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder of Jon Wallach throws his hat into the ring.

He's done fill in work for Sean Grandy the last couple of seasons.

Has he ever done hockey?

Qualifications:
• 3-5 years hockey broadcasting experience required; hockey preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in broadcasting, broadcast journalism, communications or related field is preferred.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail with strong work ethic, organizational skills, and people skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Dave Goucher's sudden departure from Bruins radio today has many broadcasters quickly putting together a demo reel from both the NHL and AHL.

There is precious little time as the first preseason game is less than 5 weeks. One name has already surfaced and it is John Bartlett who has done English TV for Montreal but lost his gig when the contract moved to TSN starting in the fall.

Complicating this is 98.5's possible sale to Entercom which won't be final until after the season starts but it is no secret that Dale Arnold misses play by play and now that his kids have left the nest it could happen.

Nick Gagalis who has done Providence Bruins might have a shot at the big time.

https://app.box.com/s/67xjpwws9k7dq6a4zjbtf123q6sdy9vj

Don't laugh at this but Jon Meterparel might be interested. :help: and there is always Dave Shea :shakehead

Given how little time there is you might see auditions during the preseason games.

Sorry Kevin/Fenway, but I am laughing very hard at this. Upton Bell would be a better choice than Meterparel. I'm not sure if Meter has ever watched a complete hockey game. And do we have confirmation that Dave Shea is still alive?:amazed:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sorry Kevin/Fenway, but I am laughing very hard at this. Upton Bell would be a better choice than Meterparel. I'm not sure if Meter has ever watched a complete hockey game. And do we have confirmation that Dave Shea is still alive?:amazed:

All I said was Meter might be interested - not that he would be hired :laugh:

Reed is a strong candidate but there is the sticky issue of getting a US work visa in a very short timeframe. What used to be a rubber stamp isn't anymore.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Here is Reed's demo. Tell me you would get sick of listening to him

I'll preface this by saying that I very much like Reed.

But that demo proves he can do TV play-by-play. Radio play-by-play is a whole different ball game. A good radio play-by-play team tells a story. And to tell a good story, you have to tell the audience:

1. Who's got the puck.
2. What they're doing with it.
3. Where they are on the ice.
4. When they're doing it. (i.e. fast or slow)
5. Why they did what they did.
6. How they did what they did.

The last two points are Beers' responsibility. If I have a criticism of Beers, it's that he too often wanders into recapping what the guys on the ice did rather than explaining why or how they did it.

Those first four points are all the responsibility of the play-by-play man. Listen to that demo without watching, and there's very little explanation of where the puck is, and there's a lack of detail on what they're doing with it. For comparison, just listen to the difference between that demo reel and a game call with Goucher and Beers:

I don't know a whole lot of Reed's broadcasting background, but you can't just take a TV guy and plop him in front of a radio microphone and have him do the same broadcast.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'll preface this by saying that I very much like Reed.

But that demo proves he can do TV play-by-play. Radio play-by-play is a whole different ball game. A good radio play-by-play team tells a story. And to tell a good story, you have to tell the audience:

1. Who's got the puck.
2. What they're doing with it.
3. Where they are on the ice.
4. When they're doing it. (i.e. fast or slow)
5. Why they did what they did.
6. How they did what they did.

The last two points are Beers' responsibility. If I have a criticism of Beers, it's that he too often wanders into recapping what the guys on the ice did rather than explaining why or how they did it.

Those first four points are all the responsibility of the play-by-play man. Listen to that demo without watching, and there's very little explanation of where the puck is, and there's a lack of detail on what they're doing with it. For comparison, just listen to the difference between that demo reel and a game call with Goucher and Beers:

I don't know a whole lot of Reed's broadcasting background, but you can't just take a TV guy and plop him in front of a radio microphone and have him do the same broadcast.

Jack Edwards says howdy.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey All,

First of all I want to say thank you for all the kind words of encouragement, I have already applied for the position as Bruins Radio PbP man.

It would be an honour to follow in the path of so many incredible pbp men that the Bruins have had.

To address one question I saw, I have done hockey on the radio before with the Hamilton Red Wings while I was at Mohawk College and my degree is actually in radio broadcasting, I used the more recent work from the Bulldogs 16-17 season to give an up to date look at my style and voice.

Again thanks everyone, if this is my time it will be an honour and a pleasure, if not then I will continue on with the Bulldogs and keep trying to reach my dream (and always remain a Bruins fan)!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Hey All,

First of all I want to say thank you for all the kind words of encouragement, I have already applied for the position as Bruins Radio PbP man.

It would be an honour to follow in the path of so many incredible pbp men that the Bruins have had.

To address one question I saw, I have done hockey on the radio before with the Hamilton Red Wings while I was at Mohawk College and my degree is actually in radio broadcasting, I used the more recent work from the Bulldogs 16-17 season to give an up to date look at my style and voice.

Again thanks everyone, if this is my time it will be an honour and a pleasure, if not then I will continue on with the Bulldogs and keep trying to reach my dream (and always remain a Bruins fan)!

Best of luck

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Hey All,

Good luck! I like what I heard from the demo.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I just found out that my brother, who calls games in the ECHL, has thrown his hat into the ring as well for the B's job. He's aware that it's a longshot but I told him that the fact that he's at the point in his career that he can actually apply for the Bruins gig is quite an accomplishment in itself. Kind of surreal seeing we grew up sitting next to each other watching the games in Arlington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->