Who will be the next guy to make the Senators roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
Who do you guys think will be the next guy to make the senators roster next year? Will it be Payer or Platil? I would have picked Laich but o course he's gone. Will Kaigorodov or Mirnov come over and surprise us or will they trade for something they need at the draft? Tell us what will happen after this season and before the CBA.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
For the first time in a while the Senators really don't have anybody on the cusp of making the NHL. In 1998 there was Hossa, 1999 was Fisher, in 2000 we had Havlat and Rachunek. 2001 was Neil, 2002 was Spezza, Volchenkov and Prusek and this year we have Vermette.

The only players which I think have a chance to make the Sens roster are not note-worthy.
Vauclair, Payer and Kelly are the most likely candidates, if I had to guess.

Out of Ottawa's top prospects, I'd say Emery is closest to NHL ready, though I believe a guy like Eaves could step in and not look out of place in a limited role, much like Vermette this season.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The most likely is Vauclair. He was an AHL allstar this season and clearly deserves a shot. At the very least, he will get a long look in training camp and pre-season.

Redden, Chara, Phillips, de Vries, Volchenkov and Pothier will be back next year, but there is a need for a 7th d-man who remain with the big club full-time. My bet is it will be Vauclair, and he'd probably play 40+ games as the 7th man given the inevitability of injuries. One knee injury to a regular, and he's full-time.

Simpson and Leschyshyn are unrestricted free agents, and it is unlikely they will be back. It is much more likely other teams will be willing to give them a full-time job (and pay), rather than finish their careers as the 7th or 8th d-man in Ottawa.

Schubert also might have a shot, but Platil definitely needs more time in the minors.

Up front it will be quite crowded, although Charlie Stephens may have a shot to crack the line-up as a 4th liner. Payer also might have a shot, although he's a more likely call-up.

Mirnov, Kairgorodov, Eaves and Bochenksi will all get a shot to prove themselves at training camp (although none are guaranteed to be there), but any one of them would have to really knock the Sens brass socks off to stay with the big club. Think about how hard it was for Spezza to make it full time.

Emery will also get some consideration, but much of that depends on what happens with Lalime and Prusek, with much of that depending on what happens this post-season. If Lalime lays an egg in the playoffs and is the fall guy for an early round loss, it's quite possible he'd be moved, and Prusek and Emery would be the 1-2 next season.

leafaholix*

I envy the Ottawa scouting staff.

Damn you Senators... DAMN YOU!

(I want Mirnov.)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
august said:
Do you think Mirnov can be ready for next year?

No. In fact, Kaigorodov sounds more ready than Mirnov according to a few scouting reports. But the bottom line is that both will probably need to spend a season in the AHL before making the Sens, and that might be a couple of seasons away.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
La-La-Laprise said:
Theres no room.

Pretty well everyones returning and the Sens are already 14 deep up front without injuries and 8 deep on the blueline.

Yo fellow haligonian :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad