Who will be the next captain?

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
JT Brown.

You *******... You owe me a new keyboard as mines now covered in sweet tea. My nose is also officially burning from laughing up all that tea... Batard... :laugh:

I would love to see Hedman get the "C" but sadly I don't think he'll ever get it if he and Stamkos both stay around long term. I like the "C" on Stammer we'll see how it looks next year in his 2nd full season. Give Heddy an "A" again have Palat and Johnson share the other "A" (Palat away, Johnson home) Boyle and Cally can do the same thing.

I'd say our next future captain After Stamkos (if he keeps it for a long time) might be someone we haven't even drafted yet, Stamkos is still young. Maybe Drouin gets it, or possibly DeAngelo. Who knows, its fun to think about it tho

Yesssssssss! Those A's choices are sexyyyyyy!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
No, it wouldn't. If he performs like we know he can to start the season then he would be able to command a higher salary than his performance last year would(maybe a million or two more) plus, the closer it gets to the trade deadline the harder it will be for Yzerman to get optimal value in a trade for him.

Ya and if he gets injured with a bad injury that will be really stupid. We saw vinny get hurt .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hedman or Callahan.

Hedman was here the longest and will be extended no doubt to a nice extension, especially since they won't be handcuffed with a Stamkos contract if Stamkos leaves.

Callahan has the best resume' to take the "C", not only has he been a captain but he wears the permanent "A" and has shown his leadership qualties during the season and off season with his influence on players. Could see him getting it while he is still here then it goes to Hedman when he leaves.

But this is all moot at this point. As much as I would love to see Callahan get a "C" again, it would not be the best for the team if Stamkos left. I doubt Stamkos leaves, everyone here is getting worried, he will re-sign without a doubt, I am just concerned with how much.

Last edited:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Hedman or Callahan.

Hedman was here the longest and will be extended no doubt to a nice extension, especially since they won't be handcuffed with a Stamkos contract if Stamkos leaves.

Callahan has the best resume' to take the "C", not only has he been a captain but he wears the permanent "A" and has shown his leadership qualties during the season and off season with his influence on players. Could see him getting it while he is still here then it goes to Hedman when he leaves.

But this is all moot at this point. As much as I would love to see Callahan get a "C" again, it would not be the best for the team if Stamkos left. I doubt Stamkos leaves, everyone here is getting worried, he will re-sign without a doubt, I am just concerned with how much.

The more I thought about it I'd have to agree a tad more with Callahan being the C. Cally won't be able to play till 40, no man's body can take the abuse he takes and keep that style play. And knowing Callahan, he's a stubborn guy who won't be able to "not" play that way. Nothing wrong with that at all, that's just Cally for ya.

With that said, it could be good to have Cally take the reigns in a worst-case situation with no Stamkos & tailor Hedman (who will easily play till 40-41, assuming no career ending injuries *knock on wood*) into a great captain.

With that said, over the next few years this will become Stamkos' & Hedman's team. Right now it's all Stammer, but even Stamkos knows he's going to have an epicly good alternate group following his lead.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Ya and if he gets injured with a bad injury that will be really stupid. We saw vinny get hurt .

Or he signs now and then tears the league up and would have been able to command a higher fee. It's all about gambles. Do you break the bank or go for the security blanket.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I agree with LF24 and xteesy that if for some reason Stamkos leaves then giving the 'C' to Callahan wouldn't be a bad idea, and not because non of the younger guys can't handle it or wouldn't be good captains its just that I feel that letting them develop without the burden of being Captain, because while it's really easy to forget, Johnson and Palat are going into the 3rd NHL year and Hedman, while he's been around longer seem to need some more time to really develop in his own pace and that's hard to do if you're also suppose to lead a team officially, even if there are no doubt that all three of them, as well as others, are all leaders on the team it's different to be captain.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The first name that instantly comes to mind is Callahan because there's no one on the team more qualified than him to the captain at this point. His record speaks for itself. You could name him the next captain of the Lightning and no one would bat an eye and it would be hailed as a brilliant move. Some might say "why not one of the younger kids?" and while that's a good argument, this is a young man's team. You need a chief, not one of the Indians wearing the C. He's my go-to if Stamkos walked.

But there's a few other routes we can go.

Hedman is 2nd in line for me. He seems to be a "do as I do" player as far as I know. But truth be told I saw enough of that with Vinny and for all years he was on the Lightning I don't know of any anecdotes of his leadership ability. Through the media we heard that Richards and St. Louis were the "rah rah" of the locker room. Your captain doesn't have to be "rah rah" but I'd expect him to be the one who gets up on the benches and says "EVERYONE LISTEN NOW!" in Game 3 of the SCF and you're down 2 goals after the 1st period and already trailing 2-0 in the series. I don't know if Vinny ever did that stuff or not. I don't know if the mild mannered Swede with the permanent smile on his face would do that.

Hedman would be a great choice but not for the best reasons. They are 1. He's been here the longest other than Stamkos 2. The players rally around him on the ice. Other than that I have NOTHING else to go by though.

Filppula is an outside the box choice but to his credit he's won the cup, he's the most well rounded player on the Lightning, he's a veteran and is a model player. But I can't say I've ever seen him spark the team the way Hedman, Callahan and Johnson do.

Johnson is another choice because he's a phenomenal player, the team loves him, you can see him constantly talking to everyone on the bench and is even a little feisty and in your face to other players without starting a fight. If Callahan wasn't on the team I'd say he was a good pick. But appearances are everything and I don't know how seriously a captain Johnson would look to other teams.

Ditto Palat

I think for now we need to put the permanent A on Callahan and if we still do 3 A's then you rotate Boyle, Palat, Johnson and Hedman between home and away games as the other alternates.

The most assuring thing is that there's so much leadership on this team that you won't have to look far for a captain outside of Stamkos.

Last edited:

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We won't let him go. But if we did trade him it probably be for a player good enough to be our captain. Hedman and Cally would be in the running.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad