• Kulikov

• Niku

• Myers

• Poolman

• Morissey

Results are only viewable after voting.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
This seems like the biggest question mark going into the fall, who will play the 2nd pairing with Buff? Maybe it's too soon to talk about this, but I think it's an interesting thing to talk about with lots of possible options. Of course there's a good chance a few different guys play that role at some point during the year, so for the sake of this let's say it's to start the season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This seems like the biggest question mark going into the fall, who will play the 2nd pairing with Buff? Maybe it's too soon to talk about this, but I think it's an interesting thing to talk about with lots of possible options. Of course there's a good chance a few different guys play that role at some point during the year, so for the sake of this let's say it's to start the season.
1st off I know their is lots of trouba fans around here but if you classify who gets more minutes as your number 1 pairing then buff will still be on the top pairing. more then likely with our best ld which is Morrissey.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
1st off I know their is lots of trouba fans around here but if you classify who gets more minutes as your number 1 pairing then buff will still be on the top pairing. more then likely with our best ld which is Morrissey.

Added Morissey for you

Edit: That doesn't make sense he is for sure the #1LHD, but it's too late he's up there now lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Morrissey is definitely the Jets' best LHD - but who's second-best? If Kulikov is healthy, I think it's him. If Niku's in the AHL, Chiarot and Morrow will be 3rd pair and pressbox (either-or). Myers isn't great defensively on his natural side, so I don't think he'd make a great left side defenseman.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Kulikov hasn't had the best success even in a sheltered role, but at least we know he can survive playing second pairing minutes. I think that alone does it, unless Maurice galaxy brains the whole thing and plays Myers on his offside with Buff.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I changed my vote 3 times. Knowing how Maurice likes to pair his D I'm going to say Chia though it could very well be Kuli

Reactions: Ares
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Kulikov is the easy pick. Most last year believed he was signed to play with Buff. With Enstrom gone he's the defecto #2.

Obviously neither Chairot or Morrow deserve that distinction, although it's possible either ends up paired with Buff & could be misconstrued as the #2 for this reason only. That same logic however could technically make either the #1 if you consider Buff the #1 defensemen on the team.

Niku is certainly a possibility & will definitely get a look see should an injury develop, but a healthy roster on opening day surely has him on the Moose. Should a trade occur my thinking would change radically. Niku certainly is talented enough to make the roster, but barring a trade where's the room?

It appears the Jets will go 13F-8D-2G to start the year. (Note these aren't suggested lines & pairings...please no comments)

*Connor*-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Perreault-*Roslovic*-Dano/Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Kuliokov-Byfuglien
Morrow-Myers
Chiarot-*Poolman*

Hellebuyck
Brossiat

Those with asterisks (*) are waiver exempt, but each are basically locks to make the line-up.

So there's no room for Niku, unless it's on the bench & demoting Poolman, but it would be bizarre logic to demote a RD & go with 5 LD's.

Best thing for the organization (& Niku) is to keep him on the Moose anyways. The Jets have screwed around enough defensemen by healthy scratching them, Poolman being the current example. Tucker may be happy making NHL money now, but his development has being hampered everyday he sits. Think what you want of Postma, but I feel he'd have become an NHL regular had he been given the chance to play.

Nothing beats game experience, at any level in any sport.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Morrissey which pushes Myers up the lineup to #1 LD?:naughty:

Well, Chiarot has been our "#1 LD" at times, playing like 12 minutes at 5v5, but playing with #1 RD Byfuglien.

Honestly, what's a "first pairing"?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I think Kulikov is the obvious choice. We can play him with a strong rhd and showcase him for trade during the season.
We'll want his salary off the books to offset bonuses that certain kids are likely going to earn. But those don't get counted until the end of the season, so we have some time.
Sooner or later a team is going to have an injury and go looking for a dman. An in-season trade won't require us to pay to mive him.
I'd say Niku plays 3rd pair, Morrow is 7th and spells Kuli and Niku a few minutes each game and Chiarot gets the pressbox until Kuli moves.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Niku is my hope. There is upside in Niku and Buff is the perfect one to extract it. He broke Morrissey into the NHL and successfully carried both Clitsome and Chiarot through top pair minutes.

Kuli is not a 2nd pair D (and I don't know if he is healthy enough to play) and Myers on the left side is terrifying.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
To start the season, I believe it will be Myers. To end the season, I hope it’s someone that isn’t currently in the organization. That we grab someone at the trade deadline to fill that role, like Stastny filled the #2 C spot.

We’ve had a hole at 2nd pairing LH d for a couple of years and it’s still a hole, imo. Toby wasn’t consistently in the lineup enough to say he filled that role.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Well Buff

Was able to carry lesser players.
Should be Niku
But they are voth offensive guys unlike previous partners. So im not sure if that will be a good pairing to start.
But if Nikus confidence is that good.
Then should be ok.

Kulikov and Myers for the killer 3rd pairing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers
Morrow-Poolman

We could almost roll with 4 pairs, but I think we should consider trading Myers to a team that could use him. Maybe see how Niku does to start the season with Winnipeg, kind of like a 9-game stint. I think Morrow/Kulikov could fill the position of #2LHD no problem.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope... Niku or Morrow (with Buff).

I think... Myers or Kulikov.

Maurice has some quirks.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Kulikov probably still out to start the year.

Door is wide open for Niku if he can show he has something special to offer the team.

Training camp should come down to Morrow and Niku for the spot next to Buff. Chiarot will either be 3rd pair with Myers, or press box guy if Niku makes the team.

If Kulikov comes back at some point he can slot in fine on either 2nd or 3rd pair. Whatever makes more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad