Who will be the biggest bust of the 2016 Draft?

Who will be the biggest bust of the 2016 Draft?

• Total voters

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
All busts are Benning's fault and all hits are credided to scouts?

No, Gradin and Brackett have long histories of great scouting, Brackett is a USHL master and discovered players like Madden, Boeser, Lockwood, Rathbone, Hughes, and Gaudette while Gradin is responsible for the Canucks drafting the Sedins, Ohlund, Edler, Pettersson, and Forsling

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
I called Logan Brown a future bust the second he was drafted, so I'll stick with that.
Dude was only ranked that high because of his height. If he was 5ft11, he'd have been a 3rd rounder.

i dont get how logan brown is even trending as a bust tbh, just under ppg in the ahl at 20 is fine production for someone not picked in the top10?

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
No, Gradin and Brackett have long histories of great scouting, Brackett is a USHL master and discovered players like Madden, Boeser, Lockwood, Rathbone, Hughes, and Gaudette while Gradin is responsible for the Canucks drafting the Sedins, Ohlund, Edler, Pettersson, and Forsling

Are they the only Canucks scouts? Could it not be that there were other scouts that wanted Juolevi?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Strange timing to be doubling down saying he should have been a 3rd rounder when he has been destroying the AHL for the past 20 games or so

Considering it was something I said at the time of his draft, I don't see it as strange timing at all. If anything he may be on his way to proving me wrong, which is fine.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
But why is it that he doesn't get credit for the good picks and gets blamed for the bad ones?

because he opted for Virtanen when the Canucks scouts under Gillis were going to pick Nylander on his first day in office, he messed up 2/4 top 7 picks, he only got Hughes because Detroit forgot he existed from their own back yard and he and is a notoriously bad trader

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Not a huge fan of either Nylander to say the least. And unlike his brother I don't believe Alex have the talent to float along with the nepotism.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Logan Brown has been on a tear recently...doubt it'll be him considering where he was taken in the draft.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not trying to hide juolevis defects, but Jesse p has done nothing for the oilers. Whenever I see him play, he seems like he’s unsure of what to do offensively. If he was drafted in the teens I believe he would be in the ahl if not for where he went in the draft.

I still believe juolevi will be a Tanev like dman.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yes that's what he looked like when he was drafted but each year sees less progression than one would like and there are still huge questions on what he might eventually turn out to be.

At lest with Puljujarvi you can see the skills and there isn't an injury problem, just a mismanaged situation by the Oilers more than anything (keeping him up in the NHL when he could be getting playing time in the AHL)

I don't really agree with that at all. I think his D+1 year your correct. It was a year where he stagnated. But since he went to TPS he's made very good progress. Its injuries that have slowed him down more than anything.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Didn't realize Brown was injured. Just hadn't heard alot about him the last year & half or 2 so I assumed he was struggling. Lazy on my part. Switched my vote to Nylander.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't really agree with that at all. I think his D+1 year your correct. It was a year where he stagnated. But since he went to TPS he's made very good progress. Its injuries that have slowed him down more than anything.

Yes he has made progress.

With his injuries and defensive play it has been 1 step forward 2 steps back type of ascension and the jury is still out on him defensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Every other post on HF Oilers claims he is a bust or says dump him (implying he is one).

Player Discussion - Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Don’t act all indignant out here when Jesse as a bust is a raging debate on your own board.
Just because a bunch if frusterated fans are upset about their organization and everything thats happened in it doesnt mean i am going to throw away everything ive learned watching hockey and prospects over the last 30 years. Big players always take longer to develop its like clock work.

Mclellan is one of the worst coaches i have watched coach at the NHL level. Specifically at handling players confidence.

Hitchcock is brutal with young players. Put Puljujarvi in a no pressure situation with good development around him and he will likely turn into a player. His raw physical tools are undeniable.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yes he has made progress.

With his injuries and defensive play it has been 1 step forward 2 steps back type of ascension and the jury is still out on him defensively.

Yeah that's fair. I still maintain he would be in the NHL right now had he not had his season cut short. And Benning said as much.

If he had the summer to train he could have made it out of camp or before Xmas. Its really too bad, this was going to be his debut year for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->