Who will be the Alternate Captains this year?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Vigneault isn't going to ruffle any feathers like that his first year here by stripping Richards of his A.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Girardi has worn it in the past when Staal was hurt. He'll likely get it again while Cally is out.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Cally (C)
Staal (A)
Girardi (A)
Richie (A)

Girardi wears the A only while Cally's out or one of the thee alternates are out

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Vigneault isn't going to ruffle any feathers like that his first year here by stripping Richards of his A.

yup, he'll let the GM do the dirty work when Richards' gets bought out at the end of the year.

Staal has always been an alternate and will keep his too.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
AV isn't going to strip Richards of his A unfortunately. But I can't think of a worse role model for the young guys then an out of shape bum like Brad that started coasting after he cashed in.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
AV isn't going to strip Richards of his A unfortunately. But I can't think of a worse role model for the young guys then an out of shape bum like Brad that started coasting after he cashed in.

Ah yes, this tired argument. Richards was making $7.8m before he came to the Rangers and did just fine. Was he out of shape at the beginning of last season? Yes, but the contract has nothing to do with it.

But yeah, I don't think he's getting stripped of the A just yet. He's a prominent voice in the locker room. He's also the most experienced voice in there and the only one who has actually won the Cup on the team. I can see the argument for why he should lose it, but I also see the argument why he wouldn't.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
When the roster is healthy I would like to see:

C - Callahan
A - Staal
A - Girardi

I don't give a crap about Richards losing his A. He's got a lot more to be concerned about other than whether or not he's got a letter on his shoulder.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's worth mentioning that Callahan (7 seasons), Girardi (7 seasons) and Staal (6 seasons) are the longest tenured Ranger skaters on the roster.

16 To Stanley*

Richards won't lose his A. The players, like it or not, all look up to him as a leader.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Ah yes, this tired argument. Richards was making $7.8m before he came to the Rangers and did just fine. Was he out of shape at the beginning of last season? Yes, but the contract has nothing to do with it.

But yeah, I don't think he's getting stripped of the A just yet. He's a prominent voice in the locker room. He's also the most experienced voice in there and the only one who has actually won the Cup on the team. I can see the argument for why he should lose it, but I also see the argument why he wouldn't.

The beginning of last season, the beginning of 11-12, and the beginning of this season. A player of his ilk doesn't magically lose talent. He started slacking.

And he signed a retirement contract this time around. Big difference; the feeling of knowing you'll be well compensated for the rest of your career can really change the way you approach it.

Playoff experience means squat when you're a healthy scratch for a good portion of it. He can say "great job out there!" to the players without an A in his jersey, without representing the leadership core of the Rangers.

Yes, there's certainly arguments both ways, I agree. Doesn't change the fact the he couldn't deserve it less.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The beginning of last season, the beginning of 11-12, and the beginning of this season. A player of his ilk doesn't magically lose talent. He started slacking

Players "magically" lose talent in their 30s all the time. It happens when you lose a step of footspeed or even the tiniest bit of reaction time. And, while every player is different in regards to exactly when it happens, there isn't a single player who avoids it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Richards should get stripped of his A and it should be shared by the fans who put up with this team. We should all literally be alternate captains.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Players "magically" lose talent in their 30s all the time. It happens when you lose a step of footspeed or even the tiniest bit of reaction time. And, while every player is different in regards to exactly when it happens, there isn't a single player who avoids it.

Richards was playing some of the best hockey of his career right before he came to NY, maybe even his best.

You can't possibly be trying to argue that Richards being terrible is simply a product of his old (at the ripe age of 31 when he signed with NYR) age.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Richards was playing some of the best hockey of his career right before he came to NY, maybe even his best.

You can't possibly be trying to argue that Richards being terrible is simply a product of his old (at the ripe age of 31 when he signed with NYR) age.

I can, I am, and I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Sorry that your opinion that a guy who was always considered to have a fantastic work ethic suddenly lost 30 years worth of mental conditioning overnight is somehow more valid.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I can, I am, and I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Sorry that your opinion that a guy who was always considered to have a fantastic work ethic suddenly lost 30 years worth of mental conditioning overnight is somehow more valid.

You're getting worked up. We're having a discussion.

No matter who you are, your body does not break down from playing the best hockey of your career to being a healthy playoff scratch 1.5 years later.

Let's agree that it's a combination of both (with a much, much heavier emphasis on him being a lazy ***** :)).

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

He went from incredible to unable to make a pass due to age?

I'm fairly certain that he himself said he didn't condition properly for last season and then his lack of success got to his head and snowballed.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You're getting worked up. We're having a discussion.

No matter who you are, your body does not break down from playing the best hockey of your career to being a healthy playoff scratch 1.5 years later.

Let's agree that it's a combination of both (with a much, much heavier emphasis on him being a lazy ***** :)).

I wasn't worked up. But I also didn't say anything about his body breaking down

Either way, don't think Tortorella would've been on board with a lazy player wearing an A. Even his boy.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I think Richards should get stripped of his A and it should be shared by the fans who put up with this team. We should all literally be alternate captains.

Semis last year, conference finals the year prior. There are a lot of fans around the league that would gladly put up with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad