Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
HABS456 said:
the following players will battle for the calder :
Upshall, Lethonen, Ovechkin, Michalek, Shishkanov, Parise, Vorobiev, Babchuk, Boyes, Vanek, Pominville, Higgins, Plekanec, Hainsey, Colaiacovo, Phaneuf, Woywitka, Reid, Balej, Tyutin, Umberger, Whitney, Grebeshkov, Ouellet and Aulin

With the depth Calgary has on defense and the fact he was draft only last year, I can't see Phaneuf getting NHL time this season with Calgary... specially cause he is a defensman also. Doesn't he has an other year to play in the WHL?

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Anyone picking Malkin needs to remember that if it looks like he'll win or score a lot, he'll get sent to the AHL.

Gotta save that cash.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
my guess is that ovechkin wins it next year with 65+ points on a terrible caps team.

Id love to see Phaneuf or Malkin win it but i dont think that phaneuf will put up enough points first year, even though i think he will make a big enough impact on the Defensive side. also dont think Malkin will play in the nhl his first year after being drafted or he would be right there with ovechkin in my mind.

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
Rickard Wallin is my bet to come out of nowhere and shock the crap out of everyone. Wallin reminds me alot of Brad Richards, just about 2 years behind in development for their age.

Other picks would be Vanek (if he signs), Somervuori, and if he still qualifies (don't know if he does or not) Prusek.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
It's doubtful any Russians players, or Europeans in general, selected in this draft that are still under contract to their clubs will be in the NHL next season. Ovechkin is signed by Dynamo through 2004-05. The NHL/NHLPA may get a CBA done in time to play a full season, but they still have to get an IIHF transfer agreement done. There's just no way that's going to happen before the European leagues are well into their seasons. It'll cost major bucks to bring players to the NHL who are under contract to European teams until there's a transfer agreement in place. I suspect that most NHL teams with the rights to these players will simply wait until their current contracts run out, and that's probably for the best for everyone concerned.

I'm going with a darkhorse and picking Carlo Colaiacovo for the Calder. :)
In a recent interview, Don Waddell, Atlanta's GM, said he felt that a new IIHF transfer agreement would be agreed upon fairly soon - most likely in time for the next season.

heatley15

surprisingly it will be a goalie named Jeff Deslauriers on Edmonton, he will fill in the hole that Salo left.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Blatny Spears said:
In a recent interview, Don Waddell, Atlanta's GM, said he felt that a new IIHF transfer agreement would be agreed upon fairly soon - most likely in time for the next season.

Did Waddell give any details? Has the IIHF reversed it's stance that there could be no negotiations until a new CBA is done? The IIHF adopted this position because the NHLPA is also a party to the agreement. Did he have any info on speculation that Russian Hockey Federation may leave the IIHF altogether?

Under the now-expired agreement, transfers had to be completed by August 15th to fall under it's provisions. The European federations have long complained that this deadline was too late for them to adequately prepare for their season. I suppose they'd keep that deadline for the right financial considerations, but it's hard to imagine the NHL and NHLPA getting a CBA done in time to make it more than a moot points as far as the 2004-05 season is concerned.

Hopefully some ace reporter will dig into this and give us more details. :D

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
If he gets a shot and Atlanta plays decent D... Lehtonen has a great shot!... BUT Atlanta isn't very strong on D. Sorry guys, Lehtonen won't be the Raycroft of this coming year cause Atlanta sure isn't Boston.

My homer pick (provided he plays... with that big, bad suspension for weilding a sword/hockeystick on the ice i'd be betting that he won't play in NA): Perezhogin

Since Perezhogin won't be playing, i'll take a homer pick of Plekanec... gritty, nasty, fast, responsible, and can score. He's a little undersized, but I think people will be surprised once he gets decent icetime.

Other guys that might hop in and make it interesting... what about Brad Boyes??

For SJ, Michalek or Zalesak if he makes the jump well...

Josef Balej could be interesting to watch, but he's still ineffective at the NHL level... too easy to knock off his feet.

Anthony Stewart could be a beast... or Lukas Krajicek could be great with the coaching changes in FLA... Martin likes his D involved in the offense and this kid has 'O' to burn... provided Iron Mike doesn't :banghead: his kids to hard.

Zach Parise give NJ a second offensive option... in that system i don't believe he'll put up the huge offensive numbers, so that might limit his "visibility" for Calder consideration.

I'd say that any number of Buffalo's young kids have got a shot... Pominville, Miller, Vanek, Paille??

A personal favorite of mine... it's the family connection thing... Mikko Koivu :yo:

Ryan Suter could step in and be great for Nashville, but i doubt he leave Wisconsin.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
the gazur voit said:
colton orr

:joker: Good one. First goon to win ever. That would be sweet.

Assuming they are all still eligible, my picks are Alex Auld, Brad Fast, Brad Boyes, Josef Balej, Pavel Rosa, Jared Aulin, Jeff Hamilton and of course Ovechkin & Lehtonen.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Habsaku said:
Ryder, Raycroft, Hunter.

How many would have predicted that? I'll take everyones opinion with a grain of salt.

Thats why we have to look to the AHL for players. ie. Hamilton, Boyes, Aulin

Just a note: Jeff Hamilton had 43 goals in the AHL last year. The next leading scorer on the team had 36 points! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad