Who will be the 2004-05 Calder winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
My quick list:

1)Lehtonen -- ATL should be ok this season. Defense is still lacking. Maybe a draft day trade to get another dman to help out Lehtonen next. Lehtonen is going to struggle at points through this season.

2)Malkin -- Point one, Mario most likely will be a linemate if malkin signs and comes to the US. Malkin will also prob see some PP time (Malkin, Mario, Tarnstrom, Jackman, Morozov/FA/Malone). His # of goals wont be mind-boggling, but his assists for a first year player could be.

3)Ovechkin -- Thought about having him number one on my calder list, but drops due to who he will be playing with(player-wise). Will prob put up more goals than malkin(most of AO's goals will have to come strictly by his own work), but will not have the assists malkin will. I will say that I think AO will lead the rookies in goals this season. I would say the previous two mentioned have a slightly better chance than AO, but all three are real close when it comes to the calder winner.

4)Fleury -- Struggled as an 18 year goaltender on a pretty bad team last year, but also shown why he was a #1 overall pick at times(look how many times he was a 1/2/3 star in a game the pens lost). His biggest problem was not him last year, but more the 45-50 or so shots he faced a game. I dont think he has as good of a chance as the first three, mostly because Lehtonen is older and more experienced than fluery, Malkin having Mario on a line wont hurt, and AO because of his scoring ability. Will have a much better season this year.

Honorable Mentions:

a)Phaneuf -- Dont like picking dmen because it takes longer for dmen to adjust to the nhl level. No knock on Phaneuf, but I dont see a dman winning this year.

b)Vanek -- If signed, he could be mentioned here. I dont think he will put up the numbers needed to win the calder this year. I see more like a year Semin had with the caps out of him this year.

Darhorse/Homer Pick:

Ryan Whitney -- watching this guy in the AHL playoffs showed me one thing...he is going to be good one. He may be NHL-ready this year. Good overall dman with a flare for offense, watch out for him if he makes the jump to the nhl in his first year. A tarnstrom or jackman injury could push him to the nhl and on to a potent pens pp. The least likely of winners for the calder this year, but its a decent homer/darkhorse pick.

Last edited:

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Depending on many games the season is limited to if there's a lockout, I think it will be a total crap shoot...you see a alot of rookies burnout by the halfway mark so if there is only say 40 games in the season, then you'll see a few guy's point totals skewed b/c of that...I dont see Ovechkin winning the calder b/c if the season is drastically cut short then it makes more sense for him to finish out the year in the RSL

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
BMWM3owner said:
Depending on many games the season is limited to if there's a lockout, I think it will be a total crap shoot...you see a alot of rookies burnout by the halfway mark so if there is only say 40 games in the season, then you'll see a few guy's point totals skewed b/c of that...I dont see Ovechkin winning the calder b/c if the season is drastically cut short then it makes more sense for him to finish out the year in the RSL

...and set up an interesting 05-06 Calder especially if Malkin is in the same boat!

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I would say Kari Lehtonen has a chance, if he is the no. 1 goaltender for the Thrashers.

Also, I would say Marek Svatos will put up some excellent numbers next year. I expect him to be in the race, and he is my selection to win (if he doesn't get hurt).

nordique

No mention of Kyle Calder? Seems he should be the odds-on favourite every season.

Or Martin Erat.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
If Malkin is drafted by the Pens (looks like a lock), if he makes the Pens Squad for '04/'05 (not that big a stretch) and if Mario is healthy enough to play 2/3's of the season (this is the big factor) then Malkin will walk away with the Calder.

If the planets don't align that way and there is an actual season, I would suggest the following players will batttle for the prize.

Michalek
Parise
Vorobiev
Lehtonen
Ovechkin
Phaneuf

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jaded-Fan said:
Nothing against AO, I actually watched some video clips of him on the Pens website and he did some amazing things, but that said who is going to set him up in washington? I just do not see him lighting things up enough to win the Calder until he gets a bit more around him. Malkin very well might have more points because the Pens have that potent power play, add him to Jackman and Tarnstrom (not to mention Mario and Ryan Malone) and he could put up some impressive numbers on the PP alone, then add in his regular shifts. But still I am doubting that the Calder will come from either because of the teams around them being not yet ready for prime time. No, the Calder will go elsewhere I think.

While I don't think that Ovechkin will win it, (Lehtonen should, but it's sometimes someone who's been overlooked) I think the idea of him having nothing around him to help him is a bit overblown. For one thing, that could mean the offense is going to flow through him and give him more opportunities to put up points. If there is a season this coming year, he will have some ok linemates to play with him. No, they're not the caliber of Lemieux, but I think I'd rather have an ok player with some offensive talent, then a guy with world's of talent, but is out for half of the season. On the Powerplay at least, Ovechkin will have Semin playing with him, and Halpern showed a decent knack for playing in front of the net at the end of the year. If Zubrus comes back healthy (all signs say he will) he most likely would play with Ovechkin. While not a brilliant finisher, or offensive talent in general, he's defensively responsible enough and strong enough in the corners (not to mention ok speed/creativity) to help provide a consistent contribution to a line with Ovechkin. Heck, if Semin and Ovechkin develop solid chemistry in Camp, the two of them definitely have enough offensive firepower to propel a solid line. Semin on the powerplay over the last couple weeks was pretty solid, but couldn't find many people to finish. Ovechkin can finish.

As for who the 3rd member of the line would be, anyone's guess is probably the best answer, but there are some prospects with some upside.

Not to even mention potential FA opportunities, *cough* Bondra coming back *cough* or other players who will be available.

As has been said before, if the season is only a partial one, he'll probably stay in Russia this year.

Side note, this is by no means a declaration of his scoring potential or being the next Jesus. I just feel the Ovechkin has no one is a bit overblown.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Chimaera said:
Side note, this is by no means a declaration of his scoring potential or being the next Jesus. I just feel the Ovechkin has no one is a bit overblown.

Any team will have some talent, and the Caps have some, just not much at the NHL level . . . neither do the Pens as I said above, though I think that Malkin's supporting cast will get him more points, and the fact that he will likely rack up assists more than goals, but all that said, I clearly said that neither would win it. Neither the Pens or Caps have a supporting cast to enable AO or Malkin to put up the numbers needed. Right now the Caps are even less stacked at the NHL level.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
My top 2 would be Ovechkin or Parise. Parise has matured in 2 years of NCAA play and can not only score and set up others, but his defensive skills are also extremely well developed. He may not end up being a superstar, but he could be another Chris Drury.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
GuiG said:
I say Kari Lethonen, Alexander Ovechkin or Evgeni Malkin.
Same here. I was going to say Fleury, but I don't see him playing as well as Lehtonen let alone having numbers as good as Lehtonen's considering Atlanta is a better team. The Pens could possibly have Whitney, Fleury and Malkin going for it, but I doubt if a Pen will win.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
I can not believe only 2 people have even mentioned milan michalek

This guy will come back and probably play on the top line with marleau and sturm who will both be around the 30 goal mark

Lehtonen has to be the favorite because a close year will always go to the net minder whan is comes to the calder

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Nothing against AO, I actually watched some video clips of him on the Pens website and he did some amazing things, but that said who is going to set him up in washington? I just do not see him lighting things up enough to win the Calder until he gets a bit more around him. Malkin very well might have more points because the Pens have that potent power play, add him to Jackman and Tarnstrom (not to mention Mario and Ryan Malone) and he could put up some impressive numbers on the PP alone, then add in his regular shifts. But still I am doubting that the Calder will come from either because of the teams around them being not yet ready for prime time. No, the Calder will go elsewhere I think.

I agree with Chimera..waaay overblown

Semin is great all around and gets just as much a kick out of setting somebody up as he does scoring..he's so excited when he's on the ice for a goal it's funny to watch him celebrate..also Halpern is a solid playmaker..as proved last year when he played with Semin. Zubrus while not what he was supposed to be one day is a very solid offensive player who can put on a show when he wants. Some people will be shocked..but Brian Willsie is gonna score 20-25 goals this year. Matt Pettinger's no star either but like Willsie I think he's gonna have his best season to date. Last year he developed a lot as a player. Plus you gotta figure some guys like Aulin and maybe others joining the pro team. Maybe even Fehr if McPhee gets bold. Sutherby will be back..Eminger and Morrisonn will be inserted into the lineup more than likely and they both add good offensive upsides. This is gonna be a very fun team to watch play next year..win or lose they're gonn be fun to watch. I mean Ovechkin wont be paired with Mario..but you can use your own argument against your point...What if AO doesn't have anybody to spread the points around too and just starts racking em up by himself ;)

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Lehtonen will win it i think. Is Toivonen going to play with the Bruins next year? :dunno: Because I think if he got time in between the pipes with the Bruins he might have a chance

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
the following players will battle for the calder :
Upshall, Lethonen, Ovechkin, Michalek, Shishkanov, Parise, Vorobiev, Babchuk, Boyes, Vanek, Pominville, Higgins, Plekanec, Hainsey, Colaiacovo, Phaneuf, Woywitka, Reid, Balej, Tyutin, Umberger, Whitney, Grebeshkov, Ouellet and Aulin

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
HABS456 said:
the following players will battle for the calder :
Upshall, Lethonen, Ovechkin, Michalek, Shishkanov, Parise, Vorobiev, Babchuk, Boyes, Vanek, Pominville, Higgins, Plekanec, Hainsey, Colaiacovo, Phaneuf, Woywitka, Reid, Balej, Tyutin, Umberger, Whitney, Grebeshkov, Ouellet and Aulin
You forgot corbourn

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'd expect Lehtonen to split games with Nurminen next year as the Thrashers try their luck with 2-goalie combo, which is becoming a bit trendy in the NHL. In that case, he probably won't get enough games played to be a serious enough contender for the Calder.

At this point, I'll go with Balej since he should see a fair amount of IT in NY next year, although Shishkanov could provide a much-needed skill infusion in the Predators line-up and if put with Legwand, could rack up some points (depending on how tight a leash Trotz puts on him).

PS:- If Coburn wins the Calder, I'll literally fry up my left nut and eat it.

Edit: Heh, totally forgot about Ovechkin for some reason. ;) He's my real pick.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's doubtful any Russians players, or Europeans in general, selected in this draft that are still under contract to their clubs will be in the NHL next season. Ovechkin is signed by Dynamo through 2004-05. The NHL/NHLPA may get a CBA done in time to play a full season, but they still have to get an IIHF transfer agreement done. There's just no way that's going to happen before the European leagues are well into their seasons. It'll cost major bucks to bring players to the NHL who are under contract to European teams until there's a transfer agreement in place. I suspect that most NHL teams with the rights to these players will simply wait until their current contracts run out, and that's probably for the best for everyone concerned.

I'm going with a darkhorse and picking Carlo Colaiacovo for the Calder. :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Buffaloed said:
It's doubtful any Russians players, or Europeans in general, selected in this draft that are still under contract to their clubs will be in the NHL next season. Ovechkin is signed by Dynamo through 2004-05. The NHL/NHLPA may get a CBA done in time to play a full season, but they still have to get an IIHF transfer agreement done. There's just no way that's going to happen before the European leagues are well into their seasons. It'll cost major bucks to bring players to the NHL who are under contract to European teams until there's a transfer agreement in place. I suspect that most NHL teams with the rights to these players will simply wait until their current contracts run out, and that's probably for the best for everyone concerned.

I'm going with a darkhorse and picking Carlo Colaiacovo for the Calder. :)

I was going to say Carlo jokingly.. That's too funny.. I am going to go with Ryan Getzlaf of Anaheim ...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Teemu08 said:
my memory doesnt go back that far. fixed. :p

Last dozen years

Calder Trophy Winners

1991 Ed Belfour (G)
1992 Pavel Bure
1993 Teemu Selanne
1994 Martin Brodeur (G)
1995 Peter Forsberg
1996 Daniel Alfredsson
1997 Bryan Berard
1998 Sergei Samsonov
1999 Chris Drury
2000 Scott Gomez
2001 Evgeny Nabokov (G)
2002 Dany Heatley
2003 Barret Jackman

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Fleury14 said:
At this point, I'll go with Balej since he should see a fair amount of IT in NY next year, although Shishkanov could provide a much-needed skill infusion in the Predators line-up and if put with Legwand, could rack up some points (depending on how tight a leash Trotz puts on him).

PS:- If Coburn wins the Calder, I'll literally fry up my left nut and eat it.

Shish probably won't get enough PT. He's not quite adept defensively yet and, if you've ever watched Trotz, players who aren't good in their own end are scratched or on the 4th line regardless of talent. Don't be suprised if some guy named Libor Pivko is Nashville's closest thing to a Calder candidate. He's not your typical European, but he will likely be the rookie seeing the most ice time (by far) on the Preds next year. He's is a defensive forward who still managed nice points in Milwaukee all while playing a defensive role. He's wonderful on the PK and he's big and can skate. I'm not sure his numbers will make him Calder worthy, but his contribution might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad