Line Combos: Who will be playing goalie in Hershey next year?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Grubby - Probably Holtby's backup this year.
Copley - Traded
Peters - One way NHL contract. Probably would refuse to go to Hershey.
Samsonov - Signed for 3 more years in the KHL

Does this mean our 2nd rd pick we traded up for Vanecek will be in Hershey next year?

Vanecek/Pasquale?

Does anyone have any info on them and if they're available to play in Hershey next season?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
One-way contracts don't mean you can refuse to go to the AHL. They just mean that you get paid your NHL salary regardless of what league you're in. Peters will be the starting goaltender in for the Bears, most likely.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Caps associate G coach Scott Murray said plan is to NOT have Vanecek in Hershey. Organization will look to add a G.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Peters and...somebody not currently in the organization most likely. The UFA organizational goaltenders left coming off of NHL deals is surprisingly thin: Brad Thiessen, #DanEllisProblems, Rob Zepp, Eric Hartzell and Peter Budaj are about all that's worth mentioning. Budaj played a few years in Hershey back in the day but posted pretty bad numbers last year in the AHL. Ellis or Zepp make sense as a split start sort of competition so that between the two one should be adequate as the #3 if need be.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
I mentioned him earlier, but Keegan Asmundson spent time at the end of last year with Hershey during the playoffs (as well as Stingrays) and he is also attending the Development Camp. Maybe he in our plans for the future as far as a minor league deal?

Caps associate G coach Scott Murray said plan is to NOT have Vanecek in Hershey. Organization will look to add a G.

Was the latter sentence implied or did Murray flat out say that? Didn't see the interview

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
When did he make that comment though? Before or after Copley was traded?

Leone's article about the Copley trade and it makes sense.

article link

FWIW, I don't think the HBH goalie issue is a concern at this time. A year ago, Copley was an unknown and he exceeded expectations when playing in the AHL due to the Pasquale injury recovery issue. At that time, I thought they'd go outside the organization.

Also, note, if Peers is demoted, his $950,000 cap hit is right at the figure where it all comes off the NHL cap hit books while in the AHL. Also possible a depth goalie trade is made at some point before season starts.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Leone's article about the Copley trade and it makes sense.

article link

FWIW, I don't think the HBH goalie issue is a concern at this time. A year ago, Copley was an unknown and he exceeded expectations when playing in the AHL due to the Pasquale injury recovery issue. At that time, I thought they'd go outside the organization.

Also, note, if Peers is demoted, his $950,000 cap hit is right at the figure where it all comes off the NHL cap hit books while in the AHL. Also possible a depth goalie trade is made at some point before season starts.

Nice, thanks! I suppose Vanacek not getting beat up in Hershey and only getting a backups number of starts probably wouldn't be as beneficial as full time or split duty in South Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad