WC: Who will be a dark horse of this tournament?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Germany, Slovakia, Denmark and Finland are almost on par in group A, whichever of them manages to come on top has a good chance of challenging for a medal.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Germany, Slovakia, Denmark and Finland are almost on par in group A, whichever of them manages to come on top has a good chance of challenging for a medal.
Finland on par with Slovakia, Germany and Denmark? How is that?

I don't think that we will see any major upset this year. Finland and Russia are my favorites

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So based on expected rosters, of course if for example Germany misses Draisaitl that can still change. Slovakia gets a small bonus for playing at home.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I don't think that we will see any major upset this year. Finland and Russia are my favorites
Finland has an awful team. If Finland makes it to the quarter finals it'll be a miracle.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Nah. Finland knows how to win and have successful tournament. Just look at WC 2014 for example.
WC 14 was very lucky! The Finns almost to fail in Round Robin. Thanks to Switzerland we survive the round.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
But you have a medal. That's all what matters. What happened in preliminary round is forgoten.
Yes but it was a nightmare and cost much nerves. The Finns no longer had their fate in their own hands. Switzerland had already been eliminated and still beat the Latvians. That was very athletic from the Swiss. Anyway, if you have a weak squad for the World Cup, they can go wrong.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Didn't see any general topic regarding the WC, so I'll post it here -- watching all teams forming their rosters, might this be considered the best WC in years in terms of players quality?

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Maybe not surprising anyone, when I'm saying Germany will play a good role at the touranment.
Mostly, because our backbone at centre is competitive and the options on our wing look damn exciting. Scoring goals won't be the problem, so I hope the defense and goaltending will live up to expectations as well. Also, we have a good coach.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006

Multiple players from KHL and in practice all NHL players declined the offer to play in the Worlds. They have three players joining from North America and those are Jokiharju, Lankinen and Lammikko, which should tell enough.

However, Finland is always a team that is greater than sum of its parts and they do well playing as underdog. I wouldn't be overly surprised if we'd see low scoring, close games and lot of grinding from this team.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Since Switzerland was the obvious upset last year i think we can rule them out this time. I don't think there will be any huge upset this year. Maybe we will see an unexpected team (Great Britain?) make it to the quarters but the semis and final will be between the usual suspects.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Since Switzerland was the obvious upset last year i think we can rule them out this time. I don't think there will be any huge upset this year. Maybe we will see an unexpected team (Great Britain?) make it to the quarters but the semis and final will be between the usual suspects.
GB is normally a D1 Group B! Maybe Austria could be surprise.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Didn't see any general topic regarding the WC, so I'll post it here -- watching all teams forming their rosters, might this be considered the best WC in years in terms of players quality?
No. The Canadian roster is weak, the Finnish one is not that good, Swedes could ice a better squad.

Every team is missing loads of players. Looks like a regular IHWC.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Latvia, but I say that every year...
Latvia had a very solid showing last year and the Swedes had a challenging QF last year, barely beating us 3-2. They went on to win the whole thing afterwards.

This year Latvia has an even better squad. A good goalie, good coaching and a disciplined, hard-working team.

At some point we must make the semis, right?

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Latvia had a very solid showing last year and the Swedes had a challenging QF last year, barely beating us 3-2. They went on to win the whole thing afterwards.

This year Latvia has an even better squad. A good goalie, good coaching and a disciplined, hard-working team.

At some point we must make the semis, right?
Hell yeah, bro. This is the year we medal at the Worlds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad