Who Will be a Better Player Jack Hughes or Trevor Zegras?

Who Will be a Better Player Jack Hughes or Trevor Zegras?

• Total voters

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
i love 7 game sample sizes in international tournaments vs teenagers and 20 year olds more than 7 game sample sizes in the NHL vs men and some of the best hockey players in the world

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
The answer is Hughes until Zegras plays in the NHL

Just because some drafts end up better talents outside the top-5, doesnt mean that is the norm. Hughes' potential is at minimum as high as Zegras' since both Are so young and havent done much to lose draft stock.

Jack is scoring against NHLers. Lets see Zegras do It to

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
MacKinnon was viewed much the same way as Hischer at this point in his career. Their underlying numbers during their first couple years are close.

The Hischier/MacKinnon comps have been floating around for a few years...I have often tried to knock them down...But they always seem to hold up.

Through three seasons:
Hischier: 209 gp, 0.24 g/gp, 0.65 pts/gp, 49.4 CF%
MacKinnon: 218 gp, 0.23 g/gp, 0.66 pts/gp, 47.9 CF%

Production, faceoffs, blocks, hits, posession...amazing how similar they are. MacKinnon was better on power play, Hischier was better on takeaways. Other than that, quite similar.

How is that disingenuous? His numbers have gone down every year. Fact.

Even if we look at pace (which I hate, those are projected to earned numbers, his pace over 3 years was 52-55-50 points. Thats a plateau by every definition of the word.

See above

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I enjoyed watching Zegras play at the World Juniors this (and last) year. But the fact of the matter is that Jack Hughes had a better junior career and is actually playing in the NHL at this point. So you have to go with him at the moment. I'm very interested to see what Zegras does in the NHL (probably stay up late on the East coast to watch his first career game).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah OP is looking for people's takes between the 2 best American players taken in 2019.....I think.
Ok, I thought we were talking best forwards from the 2019 class and based on Dach's bubble performance I think he definitely belongs in the conversation. Especially with Zegras not playing an NHL shift yet.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Ok, I thought we were talking best forwards from the 2019 class and based on Dach's bubble performance I think he definitely belongs in the conversation. Especially with Zegras not playing an NHL shift yet.

Yeah, I really enjoy Dach. I was arguing earlier on that I thought he should have went 1st overall. But I think this season at least (unfortunate that Dach got injured), Jack Hughes has adjusted well to the NHL.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Yeah, I really enjoy Dach. I was arguing earlier on that I thought he should have went 1st overall. But I think this season at least (unfortunate that Dach got injured), Jack Hughes has adjusted well to the NHL.

I think I had Dach ~10th overall...but he has grown on me. I was off on that. Was worried about the skating. Probably say ~4-7 now.

But cannot imagine any scenario where I'd take Dach over Hughes or Zegras at this point. I think Byram, Cozens, Seider would be in running for #3 too.

Such a loaded draft class.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The answer is Hughes until Zegras plays in the NHL

Just because some drafts end up better talents outside the top-5, doesnt mean that is the norm. Hughes' potential is at minimum as high as Zegras' since both Are so young and havent done much to lose draft stock.

Jack is scoring against NHLers. Lets see Zegras do It to
The question is who will be better not who is better right now... which means we’re going on projections, personal feelings

id still pick Hughes but getting zegras at 9 is great value

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
The question is who will be better not who is better right now... which means we’re going on projections, personal feelings

id still pick Hughes but getting zegras at 9 is great value
Ah, I clearly didnt read the OP thoroughly enough then.

still though, real hard sell for someone to convince me Zegras has a higher ceiling than Jack. Itd be based off nothing but pure gut feeling

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ah, I clearly didnt read the OP thoroughly enough then.

still though, real hard sell for someone to convince me Zegras has a higher ceiling than Jack. Itd be based off nothing but pure gut feeling
Eh I just think Jack was always better than zegs and I don’t really ever see that changing.... I still think zegs will be a great player tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad