Who were the fastest skaters pre-Bobby Orr?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Cyclone Taylor, Bobby Hull, Howie Morenz, Syl Apps, Flash Howlett, umm.. I'm sure there are more

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No way to know really but Henri Richard was the coaches selection for best/fastest skater in the league in the late 1950s an his speed stands out in video from the 1960s. I remember seeing Richard in an old timer game 20 to 25 years ago and he was still notably fast.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
There were many good skaters around Orr's age, as well. The years following Orr's rookie season saw some very nice skaters.

A bit older than Orr were some players like Savard and Cournoyer.

Dave Keon was a great all-around skater. Henri Richard was fast, had good balance, and skated hard. Frank Mahovlich could skate.

Guys like Tim Horton and Bobby Baun probably aren't known for their speed but they were pretty good skaters, they both moved laterally very well.

Bobby Hull, of course. Fast and quick. Maurice Richard had a similar quick acceleration.

Doug Harvey was one of the best skaters of the O6 era. When he wanted to go, he was really fast, and he was a great all-around skater too, like Fetisov.

Some of the Russians were good skaters too.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
That article in Popular Mechanics that details Hull's 118 mph slapper also measured skating speeds. Obviously the method of measurement is way off, but at least they're probably accurate relative to each other.

It's interesting how Richard and Keon's speeds decreased remarkably when they had the puck.

PLAYERWITHOUT PUCKWITH PUCK
Bobby Hull29.728.3
Henri Richard28.625.3
Gordie Howe28.427.6
Dave Keon28.425.2
Frank Mohovlich28.327.8
Doug Mohns28.127.6
Tim Horton28.027.6
Bob Pulford28.027.6
Dick Duff27.927.5

Popular Mechanics

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
According to the Popular Mechanics article, the various tests were recorded during the 66-67 season. Let’s go with Fall 1966, which would make Hull 27, Howe 38(!), Horton 36.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Toe Blake said in a 1978 Gazette interview it was Morenz, but he didn't have the "maneuverability" of Orr. He said it was because Morenz liked contact, but I'm guessing it was because the skates didn't give him any support.

Max Bentley is on Youtube with the Leafs - that guy could fly. Hull, of course. Hec Kilrea beat Morenz in a race - tho not at the same time and timed by eye.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Toe Blake said in a 1978 Gazette interview it was Morenz, but he didn't have the "maneuverability" of Orr. He said it was because Morenz liked contact, but I'm guessing it was because the skates didn't give him any support.

Max Bentley is on Youtube with the Leafs - that guy could fly. Hull, of course. Hec Kilrea beat Morenz in a race - tho not at the same time and timed by eye.
I find that's what sets Orr apart as a skater. Not necessarily the speed, which is elite, but incredible balance and agility.

Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad