Speculation: Who wears the C

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Near zero chance the captaincy will be given to someone playing on the 4th line for the duration any new deal they sign, let alone potentially moved out/bought out before entirety of the deal is completed. Look around the league and tell me how many players you see in that scenario. Let alone one who was given the letter when they were already in that role.
Look around the league and tell me how many bubble teams are revamping their whole leadership and team as much as we are.

Plus if Russo is speculating its going to be Foligno and hes going to be re upped I think that makes "near zero" chance void.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Look around the league and tell me how many bubble teams are revamping their whole leadership and team as much as we are.

Just basing it upon the reality. The team isn’t going to give the captaincy to a player they may need to buyout before an extension ends.

You on the other hand, are painting Spurgeon in a light you have no understanding of it being accurate or not.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see a captain on the team, unless you want to go with Parise or Suter....not saying that they are good choices either.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Let's also just rifle through candidates shall we?

Parise: speculation on being traded. Plus that whole Johanson and brodin story is just trash leadership if true

Suter: Quiet, Humble. Not one to step up a locker room consistently.

Spurgeon/Brodin: Same as Suter.

Kunin: young and likely not ready but may be later. Cant expect him to lead a room could also be traded.

Zucc his exp in the room is all thats needed and doubtful turned over to him.

Ek: maybe? Always the pre season warrior in best shape and working hard. But does he vocally lead a room? Idk if thats a good gamble to put that on him when we just want him to develop his game.

Soucy: his future here is up in the air in the near future.

Hunt/Dub/Pateryn/greenway/fiala/kaprizov/rask/sturm? Fat chance.

That leaves pickings slim as you are likely not giving it to any new addition to this team.

So who do we have left?

Foligno: been here for a while, has worn a letter before, sounds like he's not afraid to be vocal in a locker room.

Hartman: plays a follow my lead hard game that I believe everyone can respect but no idea how he is off ice.

Just saying its not just as easy as "this guy" based on anything outside who is consistent and a leader in the room.

Last edited:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Suter and Spurgeon are anything but quiet. Maybe that’s what they project but that’s not the case.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It won't be Spurgeon. Hes not the character you want running a room. Hes quiet and just likes to go out and play his game. Same was said about brodin.

You dont hand the C to just anyone. You give it to the person who's going to take control of that locker room when it needs to be done but also keep it loose when it needs to be.

These are characteristics of a Captain.
Not saying anything one way or another about Spurgeon, but...Joe Sakic was as quiet as players come, but is also recognized as one of the best Captains the league has seen.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
It won't be Spurgeon. Hes not the character you want running a room. Hes quiet and just likes to go out and play his game. Same was said about brodin.

You dont hand the C to just anyone. You give it to the person who's going to take control of that locker room when it needs to be done but also keep it loose when it needs to be.

These are characteristics of a Captain.

I agree. I don't see any leadership qualities in Spurgeon. Sadly, there's no one that it makes sense to give it to. If they go the Suter or Parise route they are contradicting their desire to get rid of the old "culture".

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have zero complaints about Spurgeon, but i don't think he's Captain material. No need to rush things. Just go with A's, possibly on a rotating basis, till things become clearer.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I have zero complaints about Spurgeon, but i don't think he's Captain material. No need to rush things. Just go with A's, possibly on a rotating basis, till things become clearer.
Rotating captaincy is as dumb as it gets.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Not saying anything one way or another about Spurgeon, but...Joe Sakic was as quiet as players come, but is also recognized as one of the best Captains the league has seen.
Joe Sakic was also one of the best players this league has ever seen. I think we can all agree Spurgeon isn't that level, and doesn't will games like Sakic could and did.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad