Speculation: Who wears the C

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why? It’s one vet, one middle aged player, and one youngster. #TeamUnity

Foligno is the vet, Brodin is the middle-aged and Kunin is the youngster. If Guerin really wanted to shake up the country club, Parise and Suter don't even sniff any leadership positions.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you're worried about a rift in the locker room, stripping letters is probably the best way to make it worse.

Reactions: HotDish

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
From an Outsiders perspective I think they will Name Suter Captain. Then Eventually he will retire and a younger guy will have emerged.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Guerin doesn't have any say in who the captain will be. That's a coaches and players decision.
The GM is the boss and can do things such as putting a certain player gets the C in a players contract... it's been done before. If Guerin tells the coach he doesn't exist a certain player to have the C, that player won't have it.

Yes, in most cases the freedom is given purely to the coaches on how to handle it, but Guerin can restrict that freedom if he so chooses.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The GM is the boss and can do things such as putting a certain player gets the C in a players contract... it's been done before. If Guerin tells the coach he doesn't exist a certain player to have the C, that player won't have it.

Yes, in most cases the freedom is given purely to the coaches on how to handle it, but Guerin can restrict that freedom if he so chooses.
Link?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Back in 2006 when Morrow signed his new deal with the Stars it was reported that the Captaincy was guaranteed in the contract, shortly after, Modano lost the C to Morrow when camp convened.
Link?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)
Maybe they will roll with 3 As until a genuine 1C appears and becomes the new face of the franchise ? Either until Lundell (fingers crossed) proves his abilities or a trade happens...?

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
If they have a captain (I think they will), it will be Spurgeon.

I believe Kunin is much more likely to be traded than given a letter.

Reactions: Mickey the mouse

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
It won't be Spurgeon. Hes not the character you want running a room. Hes quiet and just likes to go out and play his game. Same was said about brodin.

You dont hand the C to just anyone. You give it to the person who's going to take control of that locker room when it needs to be done but also keep it loose when it needs to be.

These are characteristics of a Captain.

Reactions: 2Pair

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Good, put it on him. I see Spurgeon as a quiet, humble and nice guy, that's fine, just not captain material in my book. But Guerin has signed him into the next century, so why not.

Zuccarello doesn't need a letter to be a leader, his experience is all he needs.
This. Its going to be Foligno. All signs pointing to him from apparently how he conducts himself in the locker room and players respect him. Hes going to get extended for a tad cheaper but given control to lead the locker room. You dont need to be the best player to be the captain of a good team.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
This. Its going to be Foligno. All signs pointing to him from apparently how he conducts himself in the locker room and players respect him. Hes going to get extended for a tad cheaper but given control to lead the locker room. You dont need to be the best player to be the captain of a good team.

Near zero chance the captaincy will be given to someone playing on the 4th line for the duration any new deal they sign, let alone potentially moved out/bought out before entirety of the deal is completed. Look around the league and tell me how many players you see in that scenario. Let alone one who was given the letter when they were already in that role.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad