Who was your first favourite hockey player?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Cant recall exactly, but was it 69/70, last half of the season he started wearing a mask or was it 70/71? .

I'm a little hazy on that too but leaning to 69/70. One of my first hockey memories was a back page of the NY Daily News with several photos of Eddie after being clocked between the eyes by a Bobby Hull slapshot, SANS MASK. Holding a towel to his face while being led off the ice. Incredible. That might have been the incident that spurred his wearing of the mask?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm a little hazy on that too but leaning to 69/70. One of my first hockey memories was a back page of the NY Daily News with several photos of Eddie after being clocked between the eyes by a Bobby Hull slapshot, SANS MASK. Holding a towel to his face while being led off the ice. Incredible. That might have been the incident that spurred his wearing of the mask?

Could well have been, ya. Then donning the mask to protect the injury, stitches etc. I do vaguely recall that now that you mention it. A sight one doesnt forget...... Goalies worst nightmare.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
cut.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What? That's incredible. Did you meet him the very night he scored the last goal in 1960??

I do believe @mbhhofr met him earlier than that... if memory serves as a kid at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto with his Dad, Montreal in town for a game, got to meet a lot of them... either late 1940's or early to mid 50's I believe.... mbh embarking upon a 35yr career as a Linesman & Referee in elite amateur, Junior, College & Pro (IHL, WHA etc), starting young, mid 50's through the 60's, 70's on.. So ya, witnessed a lot of history, right in the the thick of lot's of it as it was being made, created.... Hockey at those levels, one huge community, family. Paths cross top to bottom from Junior through every level of pro, every league as no doubt your aware.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
First one I can remember really liking is Roger Crozier. Later, Chief Bucyk and (oh, the shame of it all!) Derek Sanderson.

Oh ya, can understand why youd like Roger Crozier in 65 & 66... Johnny Bucyk as well... and Sanderson. Absolutely outstanding two way player, gritty, fearless. Unfortunate his career arc short however ya, top of his game the guy a real force out there. 67/68 Winning the Calder, right on through to the 72/73 season before jumping to the WHA....

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Bob "Battleship" Kelly. He was one of the best fighters in the NHL in the mid-70's.

As a youngster, I attended Don Cherry's first hockey school in Rochester, NY. The Battleship (#11) was one of the nicest of the instructors. Mike Milbury was also an instructor (another year I believe). I recall on one occasion some kid was goofing off and Milbury yelled at all of us. We were only 10. He still scares me to this day.

red2.jpg

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Big E, Pat LaFontaine(mostly because I found his name very catchy as a younster), Mogilny, Gilmour, Forsberg.

If I had to choose one it was probably Lindros although I have changed my mind about him since.

For some unknown reason I always liked Zubov aswell.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
View attachment 136139
Ken Dryden

Dryden was my first favourite player. I was a big Habs fan as a young child in the late '70s. I think Lemaire was my 2nd favourite, but nobody was close to Dryden.

I've always loved Russian players too. Probably Mikhailov was the first who really caught my eye.

Images of Ken Dryden are so iconic in the world of hockey

Jun 27, 2005
Sitler but our jersey numbers didn't go that high so I wore 14 for Keon.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Full Nike equipped Sergei Fedorov.

When I was 10YO, I ended up obsessed with Nike "Zoom Air" skates. Found a pair of them for roller hockey visiting a Play It Again Sports with my Dad sometime around 20 years ago and HAD to have them because of Sergei Fedorov... Wore the crap out of them until they wouldn't go on my feet anymore. I now have a couple of pairs in my adult size, but just to have around. I much prefer the old school V-Form blades if/when I play roller.

sergei-fedorov-111815-getty-ftrjpg_1sa8h440285gy1sejz7qw5z3pj.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->