Who was the best defenseman in the 90's?

Ram*

I started watching hockey in the late 90's but I was too young to really appreciate the sport.

Who was the big superstar amongst the defenders? Who was the best? Who was the most marketable?

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
Calle Johansson was supremely underrated imo. By far not the best, but one of the greats of the 90s as an all around.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Bourque, MacInnis, Leetch, Blake, Lidstrom, Coffey, Stevens.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'd go with Borque, Chelios and Stevens. MacInnis was pretty good too.

Chelios started the 90's on fire (Norris in '93 & '95, 60-70 pts/year), MacInnis came on late (Norris in '99). Borque was solid throughout.

zeus3007*

First part Bourque, second part Lidstrom - though he was still ridiculously underrated since he used a defensive style no elite defencemen had ever used before.

This is the answer you seek OP.

Honorable mentions to MacInnis, Leetch, Niedermayer and Stevens. Everyone else was a few steps behind.

And to the guy saying Zhitnik...really? :shakehead

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'll go Leetch on this one as well. One of the greatest PO performances of all time and brought it every game.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal

Honorable mentions to MacInnis, Leetch, Niedermayer and Stevens. Everyone else was a few steps behind.

ok Zhitzik wasnt the best of the 90's but i said he deserve mention. And yes, that guy in his prime had a ridiculously high hockey IQ, he was solid on the back end when he played in LA.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm biased to say Stevens, but Bourque and Lidstrom are also good answers for the top defenceman. Leetch, Chelios, MacInnis, and Blake also deserve a mention.

Analyzer*

Chelios, Bourque, MacInnis, Blake, Zubov, Niedermayer, Sandis Ozolinsh for some of it. Lidstrom, Kostantinov *

My outside pick for being somewhat decent. Frederick Olausson.

Zhitnik was pretty underrated in Buffalo. Though, Hasek and Peca made him look good. Brian Leetch too, but mostly for the early parts of the 90's.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
First part Bourque, second part Lidstrom - though he was still ridiculously underrated since he used a defensive style no elite defencemen had ever used before.

Add in the honorable mentions for Chelios, Coffey and Blake, and look no farther for your answers.

Last edited:

HOLDITHERE*

Calle Johansson was supremely underrated imo. By far not the best, but one of the greats of the 90s as an all around.

I know people get a kick out of naming obscure players and calling them the best, as it allows them to be condscending. But he asked for the best. He's not underrated, just wasn't "the best". Posts like that just ask beg for arguments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad